Video of two bright First Graders taking their Spelling Test completely upside down..

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teacherman1, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 7, 2010

I just went back to the beginning of this because I was sure there was something I missed. Nope, it was pretty much what I thought.

Since your beef, Muttling, seems to be with Alice and czacza, I'll let them choose to (or choose not to) address that with you. In my opinion, both of their responses to the OP were legitimate questions. It seems that because they did not immediate jump on the PI bandwagon, they instead "attacked". Ok.

If you or anyone else wants to try this pi business, go right ahead. I choose not to, until I know that it is a proven, research based method, that has no negative effects.

2. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

Just by you saying that my "homemade website"shows 2 kids tells me that you haven't looked at the site or the videos at all. There are actually videos of 9 individual kids on the site - many of whom I blocked for anononimity. There would be 10 up there if I had been smart enough to videotape the first PI kid ten years ago.

I think if you look at the last entry on "My Guestbook" the problem is evident. People feel that their jobs are at stake here. If the answer to dyslexia is that easy, then many teachers may be out of a job.

One thing I noticed about all of the kids I've worked with so far - they are all extremely bright. And they not only do well once they figure out what they're doing wrong - they excel!

Suppose many (I'm not claiming all) of the kids we relegate to Special Ed in this country are actually our "best and brightest"!

Suppose Ron Davis was "right on the money" in his book The Gift of Dyslexia and that kids can figure out how to use the "gift" of PI to their benefit.....

Teacherman

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 7, 2010

Walk away, kcjo, walk away...

4. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

First of all, dyslexia is not even recognized as a disability under federal law, so who would be out of a job if it were "cured"?

Second, there are enough other disabilities, including math, language, social/behavioral, etc, to keep us in jobs. Even so, our ultimate goal is to see a student become successful without special education services if that is possible.

Nobody is saying your method is right or wrong. Many are saying it's not research-based. Some feel uncomfortable with potential ramifications of posting students' videos online. Others feel you are pushing your technique like a salesman. I, personally, have seen and heard of this technique from other sources, so it's redundant to me.

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

Teacherman, thanks for sharing your videos. As a K teacher, I find them especially interesting. I can see that you are passionate about your job and your students' education.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2010

Unfortunately, kcjo,there seems to be a 'vibe' on some threads that if one honestly questions or disagrees professionally with a practice or idea, then that member's thoughts should be labeled as an 'attack'...
    I'm not quite sure what the underlying cause is that is coloring these misinterpretations, but it doesn't really support intellectual discourse. Thanks, kc, for your thoughts.:angel:

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

Sometimes you just have to think outside of the box - isn't that what teaching is all about??

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

ACCORDING TO A MAJOR DYSLEXIA WEB SITE -

"Both the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the Code of Federal Regulations for public education name dyslexia as one example of a specific learning disability. Both IDEA and Federal Code (300.7) currently define specific learning disability as “…a disorder one one of more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest itself in imperfect ability to listen, think, write, read, spell, or to do mathematical calculations, including conditions such as perceptual disabilities, brain injury, minimal brain dysfunction, dyslexia, and developmental aphasia.”

Yes, dyslexia is included in Federal law. According to Peter Wright, noted special education attorney, AD/HD has come to replace “minimal brain dysfunction in the definition."

9. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 8, 2010

I agree that we should be extremely cautious about any colleague that posts a picture or video of a student that is not our own child. Even with parents' permission, some students may still not want photos/videos posted. Unfortunately, this forum is not limited to teachers. ANYONE can sign up for and be involved with the discussions here. We can't even know for sure that the OP is a teacher and/or that they have permission to post it. I value and respect all students' privacy much more than any accomplishment.

I think as teachers, it should be our professional duty to question thoroughly whether our colleagues have received explicit permission to post pictures/videos. Not because we just have a bone to pick, but because we care about all children and their safety.

OP, perhaps it would have been helpful to post a warning: "I have received written permission from the child's parents/guardians to post this video on an open forum." or something to that effect.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

Excellent advice, Rox.

11. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 8, 2010

Give me a break!!

:help:
    Once and for all!
    Here's how the permission form reads:

Permission to Use Video

Subject: Upside down reading and writing

I grant Mr. Round the right to use videotape of my son in connection with the above-identified subject. I authorize Mr. Round to use and publish the same in print and/or electronically.

I agree that Mr. Round may use such video of my son with or without my name. I have read and understand the above.

Parent's Signature ...................
    Printed Name .....................................
    Organization Name .....................................

The parent, who is also a teacher, is right there during filming and the principal sees it right after I'm done!

But I'm curious. What do you think predators could do with the video? Aside from their first names, I was very careful not to give any other identifying information about these kids. There is nothing that could be remotely construed as off color or indecent. They can't even figure out what state the school is in from the information given!

Give me a break!! :help:This is all a smoke screen because you don't want to address the subject of my thread in an honest and thoughtful way.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

OMG. Do you seriously want to discuss what predators will do with images of kids? I don't. I watch enough SVU.

Having said that, there is a relatively remote chance that a predator will see these kids, drive to your location (which, by the way, is not hard to find out...I did a few google searches and was able to find the name of your school, the address, your full name and title, hobbies, and, most interestingly, several posts on several different dyslexia and teaching boards that all sound the same as here), and abduct a child. BUT WHY TAKE THAT RISK?

Now, I do believe that several people here HAVE addressed the subject of your thread in an honest and thoughtful way...personally, I have repeatedly stated that once I see proven, research based evidence that this method works, I would be willing to try it. But there IS NO EVIDENCE. Video of 9 kids in one classroom is NOT EVIDENCE.

Many people have expressed interest in trying your method. One frequent poster even started a thread about her results. But I have not seen testimony from anyone other than yourself that has tried this method and had it be successful.

The only thing I have seen thus far is anecdotal evidence from a smattering of anonymous posters on the internet who may have had minor success (or was it luck?) with a kid or two.

I hate to be harsh, but there are a lot of dedicated, fully funded, reading researchers out there. And not one, since 1984 in Denmark, has conducted a study about this? (and that study I find questionable...66 students? Of which they aren't sure of their reading level prior to the "test"? RED FLAGS...)

From your web site:
    Once again, more power to ya. Keep on keepin' on. Roll with the punches. Whatever. But please stop implying that the professional educators on this discussion forum are somehow inferior or uncaring because we disagree with an unproven method of teaching reading.

13. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 9, 2010

What a coincidence!:eek:hmy: If you look at my Guestbook on pireading.com you'll see that some "dedicated, fully funded researchers" are interested in the subject and are conducting research on it as we speak.

Teacherman

ps There's now a new thread for anyone who wants to continue the discussion about posting videos. If I didn't have those videos as proof, do you think anyone would listen to me?

Again, I hope people who want to comment look at my "homemade website" and actually watch all the videos. Then we might get somewhere with this...

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 9, 2010

well this entire thing has gotten pretty sad IMO. I debated with myself for 2 days as to whether I should respond, but I will, simply with, I don't recall anyone giving such "lectures" on internet safety to the other members here who have websites with student pictures showing. I don't recall anyone questioning Beth Newingham, Angela Powell, Ron Clark, or the other scholastic teachers. (But I don't read every single thing here so I could be wrong)

Teacherman has the permission of the parents and admin, and frankly the tone in here over this issue is sad, and that's my opinion and observation.

15. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 9, 2010

Thank you, Webmistress!!:)

Now, for those of you who might be interested, today's video is of Tiger and Isaiah doing a spur-of-the-moment Spelling Test. It was just one word, and done simply to boost their confidence. Do you remember the first time you could spell MISSISSIPPI ? I do - but I couldn't write it upside down...

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 9, 2010

What responses are you looking for here, teacherman? Do you want more teachers to try this approach? Post anecdotal responses to the method? Just be as interested in it as you are? What?

17. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 9, 2010

Give it a fair try with your most needy students. The PI test is on my website. If it doesn't work, fine. Let us all know your results. But you can be sure that how you approach the student will have a major effect on the outcome. If s/he senses that there is something wrong or "weird" about what they are attempting, s/he will intentionally blow it off.

Treat it like it is no big deal and that you've seen it before. You may be surprised at the results.

Good Luck!:)
    Tacherman

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2010

The discussion of websites and posting photos online/personal information about students on these forums has been had MANY TIMES. There ARE members here who have shared enough information about themselves, their schools and their students that it is quite easy to know exactly who they are and where they are. And as a result, some of those members have run into 'difficulty' at work...and that's one reason why the initial caveats/questions (not lectures) about the posting of such information were offered.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2010

Just a funny thought- out of the 11 letters in Mississippi, 8 are the same upside down!!:)

20. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 9, 2010

Not when they are printed in lower case. Check out the video... Mississippi

Teacherman:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.