video of class gone wild

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by BerniceBobs, Jul 12, 2009.

1. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

A few months ago there was a video being played on the news of a middle school classroom which was in a total state of anarchy. A student secretly filmed the going ons of her classroom from her cell phone in order to show her parents and the administration what was going on in her class.
    If you watch the video, you see kids wrestling, throwing objects, running around, screaming and turning the lights off and on. The teacher looks like he's given up and is just sitting at his desk.
    I think, although I am not sure, his contract was not renewed due to the video.
    I have a hunch that it wasn't all the teacher's fault and that he had weak administrative support. Why do I think this?
    Because last year I was the fourth long term sub for a middle school classroom, The teacher quit after a week, and the two subsequent LTS quit after a couple of weeks of dealing with out of control students. I hung in there for six weeks until they found a permanent teacher (who later quit) and what I saw on that video matched what I saw going on in my own classroom. I would call the principal and ask her to come in and she replied that I needed to handle this on my own and not to issue any referrals as the office is backed up. Then I called security and asked him to come in and speak to the students, and instead was reprimanded by the vice-principal for doing so. She said that it looks bad to have campus security in the classroom and the parents did not like it.
    Nothing else I tried worked, including keeping them in at lunch, after school, and calling their parents. They simply did not care. While I never gave up like the teacher in the video did, I was rendered helpless in gaining control of the classroom.
    I still have nightmares about it.
    My point is that while that teacher in the video bears the responsibility of his class being out of control, the adminstration needs to share that responsibility because I have a strong hunch they did nothing to help him.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I agree... It takes a village to raise a child... It takes a school to manage one lol. I have pretty good classroom management, soI do not often need to call the office, but if it came to that I would expect support. Partner teachers, Principal, and staff should all have participation especially if one class is clearly worse than most.

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

I was curious to read this thread. I am a sub. Have been for a few years (on and off). In all my times of subbing..(and there have been hundreds of times) I have had a principal come to my room twice. Once to say hello and check on the class...how nice it was to have her visit! And the other time was during teacher appreciation week...and the principal came around with a tray of bagels and juice. he was surprised there was a sub in the room...and made an ackward speech about appreciating your teacher..your REAL teacher...and yes, subs too. *rolls eyes*

Past that... once or twice i was greeted in the office (because they were there as I signed in...and i think they thought i was a parent)...but past that... I don't even HEAR from administration! SOMETIMES I have a nice teacher on either side of the room who greets me and says that I can stop in with any questions...that is SO appreciated! But mostly...it's being ignored or avoided each day. If you want to clear out a lunch table-put a sub there.

How are the kids to respect subs..when they aren't respected or supported by the school? Kids are smart...they have a clue what is what. And it takes a really good sub with a GREAT sense of classroom management to get through a day (being truly productive). Please support these good subs!

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

Sorry you have that problem McKennaL..That's sad...:(..

I guess I'm very fortunate because I receive the utmost respect from the teachers, the kids and the principals where I sub. I've become close friends with many of them, teachers and principals that is. I am very selective about which schools I will sub for. (Some schools I wont go to)

Rarely does a sub day go by without the principal dropping in and telling me how appreciative he/she is for my being there.

Major......:):)

6. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

I completely understand. That's all I'll say.......

7. Quiggs

Quiggs Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

I completely understand how you feel. I had a LTS position with the class from h*ll last year. I went to the principal numerous times, but he was always too busy to help. He was that way with the whole school. After a while, you do give up. In fact, one of the 5th grade teachers just walked out one day and never came back. She quit on the spot.

I ended up being fired from the position (not from the district though). The principal said it was because I couldn't control the class and I was making him look bad. Whatever! It was kind of funny, and possibly stupid on my part, but when the principal fired me I actually stood up and said "Thank God!" He probably thought I was nuts.

For a while afterward, I contemplated not teaching at all because I was so upset about the situation. Now, I realize that not every teaching position will be that way.

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

It's interesting to read your experiences as LTS's.
    Mack is right--the students sense when the administration does not back up the teachers or the subs. In the midst of my aforementioned nightmarish LTS experience, the vice-principal, a very odd woman, came in to visit my class per my request and asked the students what was it about me, the "sub" that made them want to misbehave? Needless to say her speech only escalated their misbehavior and I did not ask for administrative back up again.

Since then, I have had LTD subbing jobs, as well as a summer school job, and I received strong administrative support. Their reign of authority was so strong it was palpable, and managing the classes was almost a utopian experience by comparison.

9. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

HA! This is so true Mckenna. It's almost amusing as it reminds me of my younger years when I was a "temp" in various PR and advertising firms. Everyone hated us temps and blamed us for everything that went wrong in the office.
    Yes, as a sub using the copy machine was rather a daunting experience which taught me to have a thicker skin.
    Some teachers were lovely while others acted as though I had no right using the copy machine. I found it a bit disillusioning as I expect better from teachers.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

ugh; another terrible thread like the one I just posted on (from the PE teacher).

I think it's terrible when students, parents, administration and fellow employees treat one another with absolutely no respect.

11. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

That principal sounds like an ass! I think being a LTS, unless you start from the beginning of the semester is three times more difficult than being the permanent teacher. I don't think anyone can appreciate how difficult it is until they have tried it.
    Like you, my aforementioned experience as a LTS almost turned me off of teaching until I obtained a six week summer school position.
    Yes, it was just summer school but it was my class and for six weeks I was in utter heaven. On the last day of teaching I spent hours cleaning the now empty classroom. Before I closed the door and turned off the light, I said, 'Thank you' to no one in particular.
    What a difference.