Victory Drill

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Paulito, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Paulito

Paulito Rookie

Nov 26, 2005

Anyone have experience with this? It basically involves students pairing off with one another, and reading out loud (as fast as they can) sets of words containing similar phonetic sounds.

Questions: Should everyone do this or just those with reading problems. How much time per day, or per week, should be spent on it?

My wife teaches 3rd grade, and she is supposed to spend 30 min. per day on this drill, and find the time for it by taking it from other subjects.

The theory behind this is that the drill is so fantastic that it will help kids do better in all subjects, making the time spent on it worth it.

In actual practice (real life), it simply rarely gets done; there is simply NO TIME. It seems to be a sickness in our culture to try to cram every possible moment absolutely full to the max, with not a moment to breathe or just let kids be kids!

Personally, I do see the value of phonetics in the very beginning, as children learn to sound out words. Later, I think we read the fastest by simply seeing the word as a whole; that is, the word might be mis-spelled and we would miss the spelling error because of looking at the word as a whole.

Lots of people read this way, which is why the pharmaceutical industry works to hard to avoid look-alike names. And even then, some slip through, like Cerebyx and Celebrex. The quick reader would see the approximate length of the words, and the same letter at the beginning and end, and could easily confuse them.

Well, I have rambled on enough. Your feedback is invited! :)

Thanks,
    Paulito

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2005

Unfortunately there are a million different programs out there that are worthwhile, but there is simply not enough time for them. I think 30 minutes is a bit much for a skill like this, at least at my level (5th) but I like the idea behind it and think all students should take part. Our kids learn phonetics in lower grades but somewhere along the line the ball gets dropped and they lose the skills by the time they come to me. I do a lot of practice drill with them. Being able to sound out words, break them down, and read them correctly is how kids add them to their vocabulary. I have to disagree, though, with it being fine for kids to read a word despite the misspelling. I can do that because I was never taught phonetics, therefore proofing anything or writing anything without errors. It also leads to substituting words when reading that can cause comprehension errors. Of course my ability to read a word despite the spelling does make it easier to figure out what the kids are writing at times! :)

4. Paulito

Paulito Rookie

Nov 26, 2005

Agreed; it does have value.

Time-wise perhaps once per week would be a good compromise, and even then finding the time is difficult.

Agreed: Jesus is the reason for the season!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2005

Our district keeps brining in "exciting" new programs for us that we are required to add to our curriculum. However, they don't tell us what we can put aside to do that. I hate it because most of the programs are really good, but at some point you just have say enough is enough!