Vice Principal Food?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2016

Any ideas? Must fit in pocket, require no refrigeration or preparation, and be capable of being eaten while walking.

Seriously, an admin in our district passed out recently because he had not eaten all day.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 9, 2016

protein bars. That's the only thin I can think of. there are some good ones out there, lots of protein, lots of fiber, very low sugar.

MsAbeja likes this.
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 9, 2016

What do you nosh while biking, Sarge? Trail mix?

5. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 9, 2016

Sorry, couldn't resist.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 9, 2016

I am an advocate of protein bars, but make sure they have at least 10g, if not more. Double points if you can find them in the diabetic foods aisle, as the sugars in those are time-release.

7. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Sep 9, 2016

I highly recommend squirtable lunches, it's durlicious. You don't always need bursquits with yer gravy.

I got a bunch of pure protein bars at Costco, because they're 20+ grams of protein and only 3 or so grams of sugar. Seemed too good to be true! And apparently it is, because I guess they're loaded up with sugar alcohols, which people tell me is just as bad, if not worse.

ecteach and bella84 like this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 9, 2016

The first couple weeks of school are nuts, so I bring a few different snacks to graze on throughout the day: banana, 100 calorie yogurt, 100 calorie pack of almonds, and a protein bar.

Beginning around the 3rd week of school, I'm able to sit down and eat. I bring some sort of salad or overnight oats along with one, two, or all of the aforementioned items!

I make it a priority to keep myself fueled throughout the day. Just because I'm an administrator doesn't mean I should starve and pass out.

ETA: stay hydrated! I drink sooooo much water throughout the day!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  9. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Sep 9, 2016

I always keep a couple packs of instant glucose in my desk and one in my purse. 2 years ago when I was on a field day and one of the helper mom's had a blood sugar crash it was really scary. Since then I have always kept a glucose pack with me.

Upsadaisy and MsAbeja like this.
  10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 9, 2016

I'm diabetic and I carry hard candy for emergencies. But for real food, I can't think of much protein beyond nuts and protein bars. It wouldn't bother me to carry most kinds of sandwiches around unrefrigerated, but you'd need a pretty big pocket, I guess.

11. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Sep 9, 2016

You might like something called "Haw flakes" they are these little flat candies that are not quite hard candies that they sell in China town. I was introduced to them at the beginning of the school year when the little boy who is terrorizing me brought in a couple packs of rolls and was passing them out to the kids in my class. He was telling them that they can be used in the place of quarters to get free product out of gum ball machines. I will admit that they taste very good. Are good for a quick energy boost, and they come in individually wrapped little rolls the size of a wine cork.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2016

They sound perfect-and no terrorizing!

13. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Sep 10, 2016

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 10, 2016

I'n on a low carb diet, so I kinda follow what diabetics would do (more or less). I was told that sugar alcohol doesn't count.
    There is a protein bar at Costco, it's a Kirkland brand, 1 gr of sugar (sugar alcohol not counted), 190 calories, 18 gr of carb but 15 gr are fiber, so we only count 3 grams of carb. The fiber makes it very filling, and these are the best tasting protein bars I've ever had.
    There's also a protein shake, it's called Premier Protein, same deal, high protein, low sugar, high fiber. They have several flavors at Costco. They keep me full from morning until lunch. And the good news is, it doesn't have to be refrigerated (although it tastes better that way) so you can just keep them in your desk.

Upsadaisy and ladybugteacher like this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 10, 2016

Gel packs (runner food); jerky; applesauce packets; Lara Bars (I'm picky about bars and I really like these ones); trail mix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2016-9-10_10-18-26.jpeg

MsAbeja and ladybugteacher like this.
  16. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Sep 10, 2016

MsAbeja likes this.
  17. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 10, 2016

OMG, that is so sad. Our principal and VP don't really get time to eat much either. They are always on the go. They drink A LOT of water. Eat a good breakfast too! Hang in there!

otterpop likes this.
  18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2016

Ensure? Instant breakfast also comes in liquid form in small bottles.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 10, 2016

Can you do holster bottles of Ensure or Instant Breakfast? My mind is jumping to the bottles I carry for long distance runs.

MsAbeja likes this.
  20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2016

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2016

My husband likes the Premier Protein shakes that Linguist mentioned. He also used the vanilla powder protein with Greek yogurt, milk, and some fruit to make a protein smoothie.

I keep peanut butter crackers in my desk for the days I forget to eat breakfast. It would depend on which pocket you kept them in as to their portability!

There are some protein bars that have 23 g of protein in them that I buy at Wal-Mart. I forgot their name so I'll have to look it up.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 11, 2016

I have to admit that this thread is making me sad and frustrated. Most people who work an 8+ hour day get a lunch, no? Even when I was a teacher, I worked a 7.25 hour day that included a 50 minute duty-free lunch.

When I first became an administor, I used to inhale a quick snack while doing cafeteria duty (and that was on a good day). Then, I started suffering from dizziness and headaches--probably due to having such irregular eating patterns. Nowadays, I make it a point to sit down and eat--even if it's just for a few minutes.

This week, I tried something different. I ate my lunch with a different grade-level every day! I actually sat down at their table and had lunch with them! One of my kindergarten kiddos said, "OMG! Mr. ____ eats, too???!!!"

otterpop, bella84, cocobean and 3 others like this.
  23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 11, 2016

THAT is a great idea!

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 12, 2016

I have duty this week, so that means a fifteen minute lunch by the time I walk my kids to lunch and then pick up the grade level for recess. I feel your pain.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 13, 2016

A baggy of trail mix would be good along with the protein bars or shakes. If you can sit down for 5 minutes a few times a day you could nibble on some things. I know someone who even puts protein powder in her coffee because that's all she has time for and can carry around her travel mug.

26. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Sep 13, 2016

Today my little tormentor brought me in a slim fast. I know he did it as an insult but a liquid meal replacement could fit the bill of what the op was looking for.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 13, 2016

Good grief!

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 13, 2016

I remember when I was in elementary school and I saw a teacher from my school at the mall in the food court. I told my mom that I saw her like it was some kind of strange thing for a teacher to be eating at the mall. She said, "well, they have to eat too"!!

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2016

I suggest bullet-proof coffee in the morning...That keeps you going for hours...for snacks: salami, cheese, olives, avocado, sliced jicama, beef jerky, etc. Maybe it can't all go in his pocket, but they are generally fast snacks that you can eat while you work (that's exactly what I eat). I'd lay off sugary foods, and almost all processed foods are laden with sugar. Sorry to say, that includes those protein bars. If it has a high carb count, that means it'll be broken down just like sugar. There's really no difference in the body. He'll get a quick burst of energy, but then he'll crash. Healthy fats can stabilize blood sugar, so that's his best bet.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 13, 2016

OP, so you mean to say that you can't find 20 minutes to sit down during the school day, when classes are in progress? before lunch? That's sad. All these ideas we mentioned are great but it's ridiculous at the same time that you have to rely on snacks, instead of eating a cooked meal.
    brought in cabbage ad pork loins (I cooked it in the crock pot so it falls apart). Yes, for every day lol. It take 2 minutes to heat up and 10 minutes to eat at the most. It's just such a huge difference being a home cooked meal, as opposed to a protein bar or shake or nuts, etc.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 14, 2016

I don't actually have a lunch period myself so I understand how hard it can be to find time to eat. I think all of the suggestions posted have been good. You might just have to force yourself to sit down for a few minutes every so often and nibble on some stuff.

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2016

What about making some sort of muffins... blueberry, pumpkin or something. I make a banana, yogurt, & pb popsicle.... we eat them as a snack or for bfast.