Veterans' Day Ideas???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by NAM, Oct 10, 2002.

1. NAM

NAM New Member

Oct 10, 2002

We are looking for ideas for something that our kindergarten and first graders could do to honor veterans within our community for a whole school program. All grades do something special for this assembly, and k and 1 are working together to come up with something that they could do. This is a big event for the entire school and many from the community. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!!!

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Oct 11, 2002

Dear NAM,
    Since Veterans' Day is coming up soon, and considering the fact that the age group is more likely to be able to perform best by singing, I would suggets teaching them one patriotic song such as "America, The Beautiful." As a two-class project, and a visual aid during the performance, I would suggest a history timeline. Hear me out- take 12" wide paper froma roll, divide it into 3' sections and draw a heavy, black line across each one. Then, you measure out 250 years at whatever scale you see fit, label every 50 years, beginning with 1750, ending with 2002. The teachers will mark the major wars of our history and simply label them where they fall on the time line. Then, goups of students simply color red and blue (or multi-color) designs on the time line. You attach the sections for the performance, lining them up across the stage, holding the timeline. This will keep them in place(relatively) :rolleyes: and give them something to do while they sing the song. I know the timeline involves some preparation, but the ease of participating, the ease of assembly, and the helpful qualities of the stage arrangements will give all of them equal participation without too many performance headaches. :D
    Hope this helps, fell free to modify it, only you know your students and their abilities. maxine

4. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Oct 11, 2002

I suggest something very simple. Since the youngest children love to create, how about a large heart of tag board with smaller hearts that pull off containing a small flag and the word thankyou. Have the children decorate the rest of the heart in their own way. Is this a part of a greater program or visit? Some VFW group will send vets to the schools to speak of the importance of the day. Some will even wear their old dress uniforms!!! I saw a similar program in a k-4 school that was great!