Veteran's Day Idea

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stephanie90102, Nov 5, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

I am a lt sub in a first grade classroom. The focus in social studies for the week is patriotism. I have an idea for a veteran's day activity that I would appreciate some feedback on. I was thinking about getting some patriotic postcards and having the students write notes on them to troops overseas. I would then take them to a recruiting center and drop them off to be sent to Iraq. I thought that it would be a nice idea to get the students involved. Does anyone think this wouldnt be a good idea? My only question is how the parents/ other teachers would react. Not many people support the war in Iraq. But does that include the soldiers over there? Just because people don't believe in the war, should I not have the kids write to the soldiers there? Should I avoid this idea altogether?? Thanks! Stephanie

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 5, 2006

I did this activity with SPED second graders who had been learning the friendly letter format around the time of Veteran's Day (I was a JP then). We didn't discuss war in depth, instead focusing on patriotism and ways to celebrate the holiday, as well as a basic understanding of the military. We discussed the different branches of the military, where they would be (i.e. Navy in the water, Army on the land, Air Force in the air, etc.), and the history behind the holiday.

At the time, I was dating someone in the military, so my students wrote directly to him--this was nice because I could give them a name, show them a picture of him in uniform, and it made the entire concept less abstract. They also loved getting return letters from him.

I'm not sure what the community you're teaching in is like, but if you feel that parents might be upset about the Iraq component, I would imagine you wouldn't need to emphasize it. There are plenty of troops deployed to other areas of the world, and you could easily bring these up, so you are not only focused on Iraq.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2006

I think it would depend on the nature of your community....if you feel that it is going to be an issure, you could have the kids write cards to actual veterans (no longer in war/combat) -thanking them for service in years past and send them to your local veterans home 0- I am sure there are homes/hopitals with veterans who would love getting a friendly note!
    I remember collecting goodies to make carepackages for them in HS