Veteran teachers, how many times did you seriously consider quitting?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I will leave it up to you to decide if you consider yourself a "vet." I do not; I'm entering my 6th year, so I still feel a little new. Part of that is because I have taught in 3 schools in 3 grade levels. I've taught two consecutive years of each grade in each school. I plan to stay put at my current school for a long time yet ;)

Last summer I was nearing the end of my rope and I seriously considered leaving teaching entirely. The only thing that kept me going was that I didn't want to be a statistic. I knew that 50% of teachers quit by their 5th year, and I didn't want to be one of them. I decided to try another district, and it totally restored my faith in my job. Sure, I still have days (sometimes weeks!) when I wonder just why on earth I put myself through it, but overall, my thoughts of quitting are gone.

So, vets, how many times did you almost not make it another year?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

I don't quite consider myself a 'vet', but I'm not a newbie, either. Year 7 for me.
    And this is the first time I have seriously contemplated quitting. Not the profession, but the school.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

Never.

I've had some rough days, weeks, and years, though. Very rough.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

not too much of a veteran, but this is the first year I've considered it. Sadly, last semester was the best semester I've ever had. It was awesome. You'd think that would energize me to continue for a while. But NC and the rest of the country has made it very clear that I'm to be its whipping boy and I'm tired of it.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

Not once. I've considered moving districts but never once leaving the profession. I have the best job in the world.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

It sounds like many veteran teachers have considered quitting at my school; the main reason they stick around is for retirement/pension reasons. I can't blame them for this; the current defined benefit system offers no incentive for leaving when you're burnt out and no longer care for the profession; in fact, it offers every incentive to coast along until you hit your retirement date.

This is why I support a switch to defined contribution plans; at the very least, I should have the option to opt out of the pension plan if I want to do so.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

Never considered quitting...yes, have had bumps in the road. We all do. But I've never considered leaving the profession. One year I knew by November that I needed to look for a different position for the next year, but I didn't quit. In fact, my students had such a great year that it came as a shock when I left at the end of the year.
    I hope things get better for you.:love::hugs:

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2013

I haven't considered quitting, but not because everything has always been roses and rainbows. I've taught in some tough neighborhoods and had some tough kids.

I would love to change grades though. Second graders are my favorite.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

I've loved almost every job I've ever had. I'm either really fortunate or it is just a quirk of my personality. Most of my jobs have been the best jobs in the world, lol. I am reasonably sure that finding a new job in a different profession would be easy for me.

Honestly, the only thing that is keeping me in the teaching profession right now *are the Winter and Summer breaks. I want my schedule and my children's schedules to be the same.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 18, 2013

Never. This is year 21.

Some years are awful. Some years are great.

I didn't spend all that money on college to quit when things got rough. I did change grades and schools. Not my choice, but I was much happier after a couple of years. Some years still stink.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I'm only entering my 6th year so not quite a veteran, but no, I have not considered quitting teaching.

My hubby just quit teaching this year after 10 years of being a teacher. Things went from bad to worse in his district so he decided to go back to computer programming, his career before he became a teacher.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

I had one year that made me think maybe I wasn't cut out for it. It was a really difficult class behavior-wise and I felt like I was just completely ineffective. The following summer I read a bunch of books and went in very confident, ready for anything, and just by luck that was the best class ever---high academically, everyone was there to learn, no behavior issues. Just a completely different dynamic.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2013

I considered quitting this year after 17 years, not because of the teaching, but because of everything else. They have cut our program so much over the last 4 years, cut hours, cut funding, etc. that sometimes I feel like I am doing the impossible for free, but I LOVE my job. :dizzy:

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 18, 2013

I quit teaching after 5 years. At the end of the year, not the middle. It wasn't the kids. It was a lousy administration and horrible morale in the district. I just decided I'd had enough, and I had other interests so I pursued them. I did miss teaching after awhile, though, so I went back and got my M.S. and was immediately hired by another district. I was very happy there but left after starting my family. Stayed home with my kids for 8 years. Now looking to get back in, and we all know how that story goes.....

A lot of people, including teachers, have asked me why in the world I would want to go back, given the state of education, the ridiculous "reforms" that seem to blame the classroom teacher for every ill in society, etc. It's like climbing aboard a sinking ship, in some ways. But I can't get it out of my system. Once a teacher, always a teacher, it seems!

16. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

I quit after my second year at my first school as a result of a bad administration. I had had such a bad year that I wasn't sure I should keep teaching and did consider quitting altogether, but after a couple weeks, I was looking for a job again and found one late in the summer. I have been teaching since and have never considered quitting since then.

17. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

I consider it every August. After I arrive the first day I am fine. The anticipation of what is coming kills me.
    I also consider quitting at the end of every year because everyone is runing around talking about next year and how we are going to have these horrible changes, no pay raises, etc. The drama kills me!

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I have not considered quitting yet, but this is so true for me.

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 18, 2013

Even entering my 23rd year, if something came along that was equivalent in salary, benefits, time off, and pension, I would quit in a New York minute.

I've never been a fan of pouring my efforts into a vacuum.
    :banghead:

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

I'm going onto year 5, so not a vet, but one of those who hasn't resigned in the first 5 years. I've had some challenging years already, but I've never considered quitting. I changed grade levels and that made a huge difference for me!

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

I'm only in year 7, but I considered quitting once. To be specific-I considered quitting my position, not teaching entirely. I was in an awful school for one semester when I first moved here. It was a mid-year job, so I took what I could get. I cried most days, but I didn't want to give up on those students. I also had been in a good school and knew how different it could be. So I never wanted to quit teaching entirely. Luckily I'm in a great school now.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

Year 9 for me.
    I have never considered quitting.
    I've left in tears twice out of frustration. But, event then, it didn't occur to me to quit.

23. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

I am entering year 6. I haven't considered quitting the profession, but last year I seriously considered leaving my district. I have great coworkers, and even though some of my kids can be rough, I get them out of my classroom after the first year (one good thing about teaching all levels...if they really hate you, the kids won't come back to you!) So really only 2 of my classes even have the possibility of being rough...and 2 classes are guaranteed to be wonderful! At the beginning of last year, though, things were really bad in my district. New online gradebook, virtually no training. New superintendent, who is crazy. New lesson plan format which was insane - took planning from 2 hours to a minimum of 6, and 2-3 pages to 21 pages. Having to have a rubric posted for every single thing you did in the classroom - you literally had to change them every day. Things like no department meetings cause the super hates our department supervisors, no one knew what to do or where to go for anything, everyone was exhausted and burnt out by mid-October. Luckily, my union is strong and they did all they could to fix things for us. It was funny - I always heard people say it won't be the kids that drive you away, but the admin, politics, etc. Last year was the first time I felt that way. However, since the union helped us out, I managed to get the attitude of "it's only 1 1/2 years more with this super..." which helped me survive. She'll be gone long before I am :D

24. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

This will be year 10 for me. I briefly considered quitting my 2nd year. I had moved states and the school was run by a tyrant principal. It was also my first experience at an inner city school, so it was a bit of a shock.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

15 years for me. Love the teaching but other issues (administration, ridiculous policies, co-worker drama) have tempted me to leave several times.

26. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 18, 2013

Not a vet, but last year was my 3rd year and I had started to seriously look into going back to school for another profession. Honestly, part of the reason I chose to stick it out was because of the cost (I just don't have the money to not be working AND be going back to school). That was probably sometime in the winter...around the 2nd or 3rd week of school I seriously considered the possibility that I could quit my school (not leave teaching though) and just not even put it on my resume. Again, if I could have afforded to sub for a year instead I would have done it. At Christmas I got a random call for an interview that I almost took, but figured if the previous person left mid-year it couldn't be any better than where I was. We did have three teachers leave mid-year after Christmas break and a staff member that committed suicide and spoke heavily of school troubles in her note. I love teaching, but could not deal with the administrative BS and awful student behavior with no support. Literally having someone "out to get you" all of the time is mentally and emotionally exhausting, on top of all of the stuff going on in the state with testing. I am starting a new district this year and honestly I am really excited and going in with a really good attitude. I'm actually counting down the days until I can go set up my room! I'm hoping that last year was just a bad year and that things will be better this year since I'm in a new place. I can't imagine anything as bad as last year...but if that happens again I don't see myself staying much longer. I will take out loans or do whatever it takes to avoid a lifetime of that.

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

I'm with you; I think a lot of teachers are but don't want to admit it out loud.

28. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

29. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

YEP!
    I find myself looking about once a month.
    I love teaching and am good at it. But the politics and harsh statements are not always worth it.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

Same here. I've considered transferring to another school, but never quitting teaching.

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

I taught for 7 years. I seriously considered quitting twice-actually writing the letter-but both of those cases came out of a coaching opportunity, not teaching.

However, by the end of my 7th year, I had really had enough of the disrespect from all sides, the lack of support, and I found myself unhappy. After one particularly bad day at school, I noticed a job posting, applied, got an interview, got the job, and landed at my current position in a college.

I've never ever once looked back.

32. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2013

I don't know the number, but I can say that most of the days I felt like quitting were in years 1 and 2. After 20+ years, the thought does go through my head on a really bad day, but the feeling doesn't last as long as it use to. I think I am better able to understand that I can effect how effective of a teacher I am to my students, even if I probably will never do much to change the system. That is okay, impacting a classroom of children is enough for me.

33. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 20, 2013

I am about to start my 4th year teaching and I really am planning on doing some heavy reflecting on whether or not I want to continue teaching. I actually still love the profession and my job. I have great coworkers and feel like I'm good at what I do. My issue is more financial though. In NC we haven't had raises in over 5 years. We're low paying to begin with and I'm still making a first year teacher salary. I live on my own 600 miles away from my family and am living pretty much pay check to pay check. NC also just did away with tenure (the year I was up for it of course!) and Master's Pay. Like I said I love what I do but I may not be able to afford to keep doing it. It kind of makes me sick when I see my younger sister who didn't go to college make the same salary as me as a retail manager and she gets bonuses! So yea... A lot to think about this year.

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

I'm starting my 7th year. Every year around February I seem to hit a funk where work is piling up, I'm exhausted, and the kids are getting squirrely from being stuck inside. At those times, I think, "I'm just going to quit and go work some retail job or something so I don't have to deal with this." But that's out of frustration and not at all serious.

That said, I will most likely be leaving my school at the end of this year (I'm getting married and will follow my fiance where his job leads--but we don't know yet where that will be). I love my school, but I'm excited about the prospect of a change. And the idea of not being in a classroom for a year (if I end up needing to spend the year subbing or something) actually sounds okay...

35. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2013

I'm on year 16 and this was the first year that I would have considered walking off if I was offered another teaching job.