Veteran teachers, did you want to change after 1st year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by brians1024, Nov 11, 2011.

1. brians1024

brians1024 Rookie

Nov 11, 2011

Well, we're shortly over the first 12 weeks.

1. I'm wondering how many of you thought you'd change careers after finally getting through your first year?

2. Did you know what you were getting yourself into before you started teaching? (Long hours, politics, etc.)

3. What made you decide to stay with teaching?

4. When, if ever, did it finally start getting easier?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

1. I'm wondering how many of you thought you'd change careers after finally getting through your first year? teaching is a second career for me. I've never looked back.

2. Did you know what you were getting yourself into before you started teaching? (Long hours, politics, etc.) I was an active school. Volunteer and sub before working full-time as an educator. I'm not daunted by hard work, long hours or 'getting along'...

3. What made you decide to stay with teaching? It's my passion. I love it...on 'bad day's I'd still rather teach than any other career.

It's never EASY...it shouldn't be...but it does get easier...smoother, more second nature...it comes with time...the amount of time varies for each individual. I never really struggled with it being 'hard'...I welcome opportunities to face challenges.

Good luck to you.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 11, 2011

I'm on my phone so I apologize for any typos.

Every year has challenges and no two years are ever the same, nor should they be because you have different students. Every school change, grade level change, curriculum change, test change, and/oe administration change will be an adjustment. I think experience helps you weather the changes better though. Each day of experience helps you better tackle the next one.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 11, 2011

I actually found my first year to be the easiest! I know that is not typical for most people, but ignorance was bliss. I shut my door and enjoyed my students. I covered curricular standards and sent home report cards.

Now that I am three years in (so definitely not a veteran, but I have some experience) I realize all that I do not know. Every year becomes smoother in some areas, and more challenging in others as I add more to my plate, grow in different professional areas and stretch myself.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2011

1. I'm wondering how many of you thought you'd change careers after finally getting through your first year?

My first year was actually enjoyable...not at all the crazy, stressful year many have.

2. Did you know what you were getting yourself into before you started teaching? (Long hours, politics, etc.)

I knew what I was getting into at the time, yes. I didn't, though, imagine how much things would change in just a few years.

I am still in the classroom because there aren't many opportunities here otherwise (that would allow me to earn a similar salary). Additionally, I want to love it. It could be great. So I think I remain because I hope a situation presents itself that would make my career more of what it could and should be.

Every freaking year it gets more challenging and less enjoyable. For me, that is.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 11, 2011

I never considered it. I chose that career. I spent a lot of time in college. I was going to make it work.

No. I had no idea. There were no teachers in my family. In fact, there were no college graduates in my family. All I knew about teaching came from being a student.

See #1

Honestly, it's not really an easier. I'm at year 19, and I'd never consider it easy. I've gotten significantly better at knowing how to do my job, though. Every year I learn things that make it easier. Education is always changing, too, so I have to learn to roll with the punches. I can't just learn how to do something once and expect it to get me through my entire career.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 11, 2011

I started out in the Archdiocese my first few years, so no, I didn't think about changing careers after my first year. The pay was lousy, but the kids and the adults were - for the most part - terrific.

Since then, it's been steadily going downhill with the people and the working conditions. Now, I send out a steady stream of applications to opportunities in the private sector.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

NOpe, not at all. It was what I expected it to be.

2. Did you know what you were getting yourself into before you started teaching? (Long hours, politics, etc.)Yes, pretty much. I taught in a school kind of similar to the one I attended. I coached Speech and Debate, which is incredibly time consuming, but had competed in it as a kid. So no surprises there.

I love what I do.

Year #2 is a whole different ballgame from year number one. It gets progressively easy with each passing year.

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2011

1. I'm wondering how many of you thought you'd change careers after finally getting through your first year? I did not. My first year was not one of the really overwhelming years for me.

2. Did you know what you were getting yourself into before you started teaching? (Long hours, politics, etc.) Yes, I had worked in the school system before starting as a teacher. Where I went to school for my credential was very clear about the politics.

3. What made you decide to stay with teaching? I did not consider not staying after I started. I think part of it was I never got a chance to sit down and think about leaving during my first year or second year. By the time I did think about it I was five years into teaching and did not think of anything I would prefer to do.

4. When, if ever, did it finally start getting easier? I would say it started getting easier in my in my fourth year then it started getting harder again and then it was easier starting in my seventh year. I changed grade levels in my first two years twice then schools and grade levels in my fifth year. I then stayed at the same grade level from then for six years. It has taken 3 years for me to get to the point of beginning to feel like I really knew what I was doing each time I have changed grade levels.

11. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Nov 12, 2011

I actually turned in my resignation midway through my second year. The human resources director (wise person, she) sent me a letter saying she would not accept my resignation until I utilized all of the services available to me: counseling, mentor teacher, administrative help. I went back a month later and am forever grateful to that lady.

No, no clue. I came from a career as an accountant, with the idea that if I could reduce the amount of paperwork I had to complete as an accountant, and could work with people, I'd be a lot happier. I was right.

It's a great challenge, and I love challenges. I also love working with children. I have never met a child that I did not like.

Management wise, it is easier every year. It is still a huge challenge to try to meet the needs of each child, and I don't think that will ever get easier. But having the management part under my belt makes it enjoyable. I enjoy every day working with children. I know not many can say that. I count myself lucky.

12. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 12, 2011

I just want to pop in to say that, as a first year teacher, I can't WAIT until I can answer surveys like this. haha :) But all of your replies are helpful, rest assured!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2011

What do you do to keep your strong feelings about your frustration and working conditions from coloring your students' experiences in your classroom?