Veteran Teacher Needs Advice!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by 5thgraderocks, Feb 25, 2009.

1. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I will have a long-term sub (3-4 weeks) while I'm recuperating from surgery. This is my first long term and the district hasn't given me the name of the person who will be my sub.

When I am gone for a day, I spend two or more hours writing detailed lesson plans, making sure everything is labeled and set to go. I can't possibly get an entire month's plans ready in the next week.

What has worked best for anyone who has had a long term? I teach a VERY challenging group of 31 5th graders. Reading ability ranges from grade 2 through post high school. Three autistic and one EBD student zap every spare second. Aside from specials this is a self contained classroom so I spend hours modifying work.

Any advice on what I can do to keep the kids moving ahead while making sure my sub is still "sane" when I return would be appreciated.

I would like to check in via email after a week or so. Is this a bad idea? Does anyone remember little touches that made your day?
    Thanks in advance!

3. GourdArtist

GourdArtist Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

I had a five week subbing assignment, and I called the teacher each Friday or sometimes even twice a week if I had a question about discipline. I would suggest that you be open with the sub and tell him/her about your problem students and the best way of dealing with them. The teacher I was subbing for didn't mention anything about that when I accepted the assignment, and it would have been helpful for me to know ahead of time. Detailed plans are great - I had them for the entire time since my teacher was having a baby and had time to prepare. As long as you are staying 3-4 days ahead with your sub plans, you will be ok. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

4. love2sub

love2sub Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

In my district they will pay the sub to come in for a day before you leave so that you can go over things and they can observe the class before they take over-you might ask if that is possible in your district. I have done 4 long terms and I was always in contact with my teacher thru email or phone. The teacher also left the first week's lesson plans but the rest of the time I did the planning since you never knew if you needed more time with a particular skill or assemblies popping up that kind of thing. In our district our teachers almost always get to chose or have some say in their long term sub so this must be hard for you not knowing who you are leaving your class to. I hope your surgery goes well.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

Please leave answer keys to any worksheets. Even worksheets that seem simple to you, may be confusing to a sub.

6. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

I am not a long term sub. I teach high school but where I teach a long term sub would be expected to write their own lesson plans. That is why they are paid a full teaching salary rather than a sub's pay for any position over 2 weeks. I agree that the contact is probably a good thing :)

7. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 26, 2009

I subbed for a teacher for 5 weeks and she left had her lesson plan book filled out for 4 of those weeks. I used her lesson plan book as a guide and supplemented with my own additional activities as well. The last week I was in the class, I filled out her lesson plan book so she'd have documentation of what we did that week. The district didn't consider this a LT position, though. I worked 2 weeks and then 3 weeks while the teacher was on bed rest. I was specifically requested by the teacher. I occasionally called her, mostly to see how she was feeling. I'd also let her know what was going on with her class and her students.

I did not receive LT sub pay for this assignment, but I love the kids and would do it again in a heartbeat.

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 26, 2009

Best of luck on your surgery and recovery!

I would recommend that you be open to questions from your LT sub. As well as strategies/tips/advice that would greatly help the sub in dealing with your students. Let your sub know that he/she is not in this alone, that you are always ready to help him/her out. Also, let your class know that just because you have a sub in the class it does not mean you are not 'watching.' Your sub will be in constant contact with you and will report to you what is happening in your class.

9. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

Leave some filler things for the sub to do in case they have extra time. Maybe give them ideas of behavioral strategies that work well for you in case the class gets out of hand. I hope they found a very good sub for your class.

10. NoVa_Dad

NoVa_Dad Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

If your Team has an email group, ask that that person be added or at least informed of changes in schedules. I covered 4th grade the last quarter of the year for a maternity leave and would have been blindsided by assemblies and special events. The rest of the had known about them as soon as they had been planned, but as I had not been included in the initial emails, it was only the follow ups that let me know I would be short an hour in math that week because of a fund raising rally or recitals.

For the kids with special needs, give the sub as much info as you are allowed to. I had one student who challenged me the first few weeks. It wasn't until after I found about what they had gone through that I changed how I worked with them. If they started to distract the class, I had them journal what they were feeling. We got along just fine for the rest of the year.

Little things count too. One teacher may be comfortable with a class showing up a couple minutes late to specials while another want them there right on time.

I hope this helps and that all goes well for all concerned.

11. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 9, 2009

Let the sub know that if she needs to alter your format to suit her that will not kill you. If you use a bell to call the class together and she wants to clap, let her know that is perfectly okay. It is hard to walk into someone else's shoes and be them, KWIM?

Are you going to be available by telephone? Let the sub know what are good times to call you so she doesn't feel intimidated. Let her know that she can call you if she needs to and don't get angry if she has to call you 3 times a day.

You said your class is difficult. Can you set the sub up with a neighbor teacher in case she has problems? If you can meet her, try to spend some time introducing her to the other teachers in your grade level so she knows who to go to for help at school.

I would not expect the kind of detailed plans that are usually left daily because this sub will know the routines. But what would be nice is a calendar of the time you are gone showing the sub what is going to be happening for the next 4 weeks. That way if something isn't working- like an unplanned fire drill or something, she knows how to rearrange the schedule to stay on target. Maybe you already have a semester plan?

Ditto about the e-mail list. No one tells a sub anything! Good luck with the surgery.

12. azure

azure Companion

Apr 7, 2009

It's a different state

The original poster is in a different state, so your suggestion may not be available to her.