VESTED Instructional Approach: Lesson planning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Jul 20, 2010.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2010

I just attended a 2 day work shop on the "VESTED Instructional Approach" by the Kolak group, and I really enjoyed it. For those of you who are new to teaching or for those who are dissatisfied with the level of success in your classroom, you might want to consider their format.

Their strategies are similar to SIOP and Project CRISS if you've ever done them. Basically though, VESTED focuses on a "balanced" lesson delivery that includes these elements:

View (watch, look, preview, review)
    Experience (do, sort, feel, move)
    Speak (in groups, to the teacher, to each other)
    Transform (learning logs, reading, writing, note-taking, summarizing, etc. Notice how far into the lesson cycle note-taking occurs!)
    Extend (take it up a notch for GT and help those behind with more focused mini-lessons)
    Deliver (present, publish, etc)

The theory is that at the minimum a lesson cycle should include the elements VES and T. If you have time or if you need to do more, than you add the final ED. This isn't necessarily all going to happen in one day, of course. This would be through the entire unit or chapter.

What I noticed is that I have been moving in this direction for years, I just didn't label it the same way. For instance, I upset quite a few people in my district when I suggested showing a film adaption of a novel (VIEWING) before we actually read the book!

I did it with a novel a few years ago because of time issues, and I was shocked at how much more the kids got out of the novel. I tried it again the next year, and again, those students were able to delve much deeper into the novel than the students in other classes who followed the more traditional pattern.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else been to the training? What did you think of it?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

This looks really interesting, bandnerdtx! I'm going to spend some time later this morning exploring.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Interesting. In MS I am more limited on what movies I can use, however, that said, I too think movies first actually help.

One year, half way through a novel, a couple of our rooms had to be evacuated for over a week and we met in the auditorium during that time. THe book we were reading had two parts. Since we'd just ended the first part, I decided to show the movie and then continue reading when I returned to my room. It was interesting discussing the differences/effectiveness between the novel and the movie and then, while reading the second part, discussing the same things again. The kids were still engaged even though they now knew the outcome of the story.

5. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

And yes, VESTED sounds very interesting and I'd like to explore it too. Thanks!