VERY Ugly chalkboards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 5, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 5, 2011

I just saw my new classroom today. It's very tiny and a bit ugly. It needs a lot of TLC!

I have 2 very large chalkboards that are the most hideous color I have ever seen. They are a greenish/yellowish/brownish. It's such a disgusting color that it's difficult to explain. I do not need to use them as chalkboards (I have a smartboard and an easel), so I would like to cover them somehow.

I was thinking about covering them with a thin fabric. However, I would like to use one for a word wall, where the kids can remove the magnetic words. I don't know how I would be able to attach the fabric to the chalkboard, or if the magnets would actually hold up on top of the fabric.

Does anyone have any other ideas? My mom suggested painting them with chalkboard paint, but I highly doubt my district would allow me to do that. Do you think it's work asking, or would I just get laughed at?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

I have always put paper over my chalk boards. And the magnets still worked.

4. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 5, 2011

I think a thin fabric would work - or paper.... But, I'd also think about asking to paint them too. Wouldn't even have to be chalkboard paint if you don't need them as chalkboards, right?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2011

I would ask about painting them. But I would think that if you got a really thin fabric, the magnets would still work.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2011

I had a hideous chalkboard in front of my classroom last year! I covered the entire chalkboard with blue butcher paper and some really cute border. Anyway, you couldn't even tell it was a chalkboard after I was done decorating it. I ended up using it to post my grade-level standards posters.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2011

I don't know if this will help you or not but I have 2 of those as well and they are not magnetic in any way (I know that yours are). What I do is cover it and then hang border down. They clip the words to the word wall with clothespins.

[​IMG]

(PS-seeing 2nd Grade teacher next to your name :thumb:).

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

I remember my dad painting the chalkboards in his classroom every so many years...it's no big deal... Very easy and costs maybe $8? It was something he did in a day and it dried 24 hours and voila! Nice and new! I would ask...and I would be seriously SHOCKED if it was a problem. I mean, it's not like you are painting it purple...if you left, it would still be a functioning chalkboard. I don't use mine but it's black so I just leave it...

9. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Use contact paper to cover them - you can buy colored contact paper online and the magnets will still work - I do this for my word wall to cover an ugly chalkboard - it also comes off cleanly. Hope this helps! :)

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 5, 2011

We painted the one in our room with black chalkboard paint. Looks like a world of difference!

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

I would use hot glue to hold up fabric. You could run velcro strips down it. You could also cover it in felt and the word cards would stick with velcro. Personally, I love Kindercowgirl's board.

12. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

My first classroom had ugly boards. I hung butcher paper over them then hung fish nets from the party store over that. I could clip things to it then. It turned out pretty cute!

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

Well, today I asked if I could paint them. I knew I shouldn't have even bothered. Teachers are not allowed to paint anything-walls, furniture, chalkboards...The reason is that it takes work away from the custodians. However, the custodians are not in the buildings all summer, and when they return in fall they are so busy that they do not have time to paint anything. :rolleyes: My district does so many things that make sense.

I think I will just cover them with fabric. I am going to cover all of my bulletin boards with fabric, so I'll just do the chalkboards, as well.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

So silly! But oh well! At least you can use fabric!

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

I had chalkboards in an old room, I painted them with regular old washable paint from my paint center. I cleaned it up with soap and a sponge 7 years later and it was fine :)

sorry you can not paint it :( I bet the fabric will look great !

16. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

I have 2 terrible chalkboards too and I wanted to cover them with that showerboard material that everyone is talking about, but we just got a new principal and superintendent so I am a little apprehensive to ask about that. Has anyone ever had success with this?

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

I cover mine with fabric. I use the small velcro pieces and just line a bit on the edges of the board and then put the other part of the fabric. It works well.

Of course I am not able to staple into the board so if I hang stuff I just tape it to the fabric. Works for me.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2011

I did this one year. I had to have my husband come in and use screws or something to attach the showerboard to the metal borders of the chalkboard. It was so much more attractive and easy to write on with dry erase markers.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 7, 2011

20. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I have purchased a roll of peel and stick "whiteboard" material and covered my boards; not because I have ugly chalkboards but the dry erase markers are so much cleaner.
    http://www.whiteboardinabox.com/
    This isn't the exact product I bought but it's the same idea. I've also been told that there's a paint-like material that can be rolled on with paint rollers but I'm yet to see it.

At least with the whiteboard material it can serve multiple purposes.

21. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

Oh man! I probably wouldn't have asked and have been pleading for forgiveness! :eek: Little things like that I usually just do. :blush:

It is so funny how different districts are. I helped my husband paint his classroom one year! Of course, we bought our own paint. The principal knew it wouldn't get painted for another 5-10 or so years and said we were more than welcome to do anything that improved the appearance of the school! Our custodians only can work so many hours so if you want something done like that, you usually have to do it yourself. My husband even had to hang his own projector from the ceiling! Our custodians just clean, cut grass, change light bulbs, etc. We do have a paint crew but they only do a few schools each summer. They apparently get paid by how many rooms they finish so they are quick/sloppy. You are better to do it yourself.