Very Nervous/Excited!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lindsey923, Jun 3, 2011.

1. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011

I have my first "real" teaching interview this coming Thursday - and it is for my DREAM job! The school where I student taught, five minutes from my house, has an opening for an additional first grade teacher. They also have several retirements this year. I loved the district while I student taught there, and I found out about the potential openings (which, as far as I know, have not been published in the paper or online yet) from a relative who has children in the district. I mailed my resume, brochure, etc. to the principal and the super and it paid off! I am scheduled to interview next week and I am incredibly nervous. I have revamped my portfolio and I have been going over lots of the interview questions on the forum. I am currently a pre-kindergarten teacher at a private preschool, so I am trying to include as much actual evidence from my current classroom in my portfolio and my answers. I know that the school is big on technology, which is why I made sure to send my brochure along. My cooperating teacher was older and did not know much about computers, so I became her "teacher" while I was there - I am hoping to bring this up during my interview.

Any words of wisdom or advice are greatly appreciated!!!!! :thanks:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck and go in their prepared and land that job!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 3, 2011

Your enthusiasm is already catchy. That will serve you well along with your abundance of preparation. Good luck.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 3, 2011

Good Luck and keep us posted ~ sending you good interview vibes on Thursday :)

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck! Something that has helped me with my nerves this year is coaching myself to view the interview differently. I used to view interviews as a "test" of sorts...there was me (a new, relatively "inexperienced" candidate) trying to go in and impress seasoned administrators. Now when I get an interview, I instead view it as a chance to meet, professional to professional, and "talk shop". We are just having a conversation about topics in education, and I even get to "reminisce" a little and share some stories about former students! Idk, maybe that sounds crazy, but it works for me & has helped me feel a lot more comfortable when gearing up for an interview! :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck!

9. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

Jun 5, 2011

That's Great Congrats!!

Congrats on getting an interview!! You sound like you are very prepared. I am preparing for potential interviews and was wondering what you put in your portfolio? I am working on mine right now.

Thanks and can't wait to hear how it went!!

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 5, 2011

Hope I love your advice! That is perfect! I have an interview tomorrow and whew the nerves and excitement are a bit much right now. lol Whew- I have to get to preparing. I have multiple copies of my portfolio just in case and an outfit picked out. I need shoes though and prayers that my wild hair will cooperate. Now just to review the website and finish up some research and study a bit more and then just organize my bag and breathe! whew! I am ready to own this job! yay!
    Good luck!

11. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

How did your interview go? I am very nervous that it will be too good to be true for me to get a job from my first "real" teaching interview. The numbers are against me!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2011

It's not too good, it does happen. Many people are hired after going through the process of their first interview. Many people are hired where they student taught.

Now, not everyone can be this lucky, but it does happen!

13. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

Had the interview yesterday. I think it went well, he didnt ask me more than two or three questions, then we spent the rest of the interview conversing about how he just gotten the chance to meet the people who create the benchmark tests because I asked him how things were going with that (when I st there they were freaking about because they were not meeting state benchmarks... Surprise). He told me they were interviewing a bunch of other people like myself and that it was a lengthy process so don't exist to hear for two weeks or so. I left my portfolio which I will pick up monday.

Sorry for any typos, I'm typing this from my phone!

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

I'm glad that the interview went well! He already knows you well enough that he didn't need to ask a bunch of questions about you are a teacher.

Good luck!

15. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jun 11, 2011

It sounds like it went really well...that's great that he felt comfortable to have a conversation with you that wasn't about the interview. I think it's in the bag! ;)

16. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

They called me today while I was working and I couldn't answer.. so OF COURSE I started thinking that maybe I was getting called for another interview! Unfortunately it was just the secretary saying that she had my portfolio. I went to pick it up and she kept saying how nice it was and how much work.. hopefully she mentioned that to the principal.