Very IMPORTANT to know/remember the LAST book you read...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rebel1, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Psssssssssssssst,
    Well! I would have been in trouble at my last interview IF the lady would have asked me about it. The book I am reading right now is "Quitter" by Jon Acuff. I picked it up at about 12:30 a.m and could not put it down until about 2 a.m. I had to get to bed. It is so interesting and written in a "down to earth" attitude, that it is awesome! Anyway, one of my Alternative Certification instructors told us last week that MAKE SURE YOU ARE READING SOMETHING. If you are not, AT LEAST pick up the newspaper or something of that matter, and start reading. They will ask you one time or another about what you are reading, OR the last book you read.
    Rebel1:D

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Haha, I'd love to answer the interview question with, "Danielle Steele!" I've never actually read her, but that would show a true misunderstanding of the purpose of the question. LOL.

My summer reading:
    Mosaic of Thought
    The Next Step in Guided Reading
    Strategies that Work
    Lies My Teacher Told Me
    Raising an Emotionally INtelligent Child
    Object Lessons
    Queen Bees and Wannabes
    Motivation Breakthrough

I'm a real believer in bibliotherapy...

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

For the record, they'll never know if it was the second-to-last book you read.

I have no idea of the title of the last book I read on my Kindle, and I would be comfortable saying that. The cover of the Kindle doesn't show the title of the book. I would admit it with a laugh, and be more than happy to explain that it was a Danielle Steele- type romance I downloaded for a dollar so I would have something light to read as I watched the kids in the pool.

The last paperback I read was Heaven is for Real.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

As an English teacher, I would proudly point out that I read for enjoyment. The book I'm currently reading is Star Island by Carl Hiassen. There is no redeeming educational value in the book at all, but I'm enjoying it immensely. I think teachers should enjoy reading for fun.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

MCB,
    YEP! The instructor pointed out that it does not matter what you are reading, AS LONG as YOU ARE READING SOMETHING. You do not have to explain to the interviewer about why you are reading it, unless they pursue it. IT just shows them that you VALUE reading, which is a BIG part of learning, and all that :cool: stuff.

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 19, 2011

I wonder what they'd think about me re-reading Dear Mr. Henshaw? I've also read Notes from the Dog, Bud, not Buddy, Small Steps, and Out of the Dust. But when I'm not reading for school, I love some trashy Harlequin Romance! LOL!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

I always just say whatever I'm reading unless it's really bad and then I'll just say something I've read recently :lol: I read a lot of historical fiction and they seem to like that.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

I think the trick to questions like this is to not be afraid to be yourself.

I'm assuming that most teachers DO read the occasional book, so the actual answer isn't a big issue.

But be comfortable enough in your own skin to admit that it CAN be a romance, or a Harry Potter or the latest thriller to hit the NY TImes bestsellers list.

Or to laugh and say you honestly don't remember the title, but here's a quick rundown-- does anyome remember the title??

I think that if I were on the interview committee and got a question like "The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck" I would be a little skeptical.

They want to get to know you. So your reaction to the question is at least as important as the answer itself.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

I was asked this a couple times. I think they're just making sure you don't say "I don't like to read in my free time" or "that's just a school thing" or something, haha. Looking for a "lifelong learner" maybe? Last summer I was really into Jodi Piccoult books so that's what I shared.

For my current job, I was asked what the last education related article/book I read was. Luckily, about 2 nights before my mom had shown me this big special our city newspaper was doing.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 19, 2011

I would think that listing off educational books, or theory books, would seem too rehearsed.

I do remember in my interview, they asked me what I thought the "hot topic" in education was at that time. I said it didn't really matter what the hot topic was around the country, as long as I knew what was going on in my own school. I couldn't think of anything else!

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

I've actually never been asked this question. I read so many books that I would have trouble remembering a title. I literally read a book a day most days in the summer, unless we have big plans for the day.

For education books, I just finished Reading with Meaning and I need to read Strategies that Work this week.

13. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Well Ms FFH!
    You just had that "I read enough, SO don't ask me that reading question look" when you went in for your interview.;)

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Boy, this would be easy for me. I am always reading a book, everyday. That's my only addiction (that and maybe coffee).

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 19, 2011

I was only asked about the last book I read in one interview. At the time it was The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. I am always reading something (sometimes 2 books at the same time) so I'm good to go if they ask again!

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 19, 2011

DITTO!

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Same here (minus the coffee). The hard part for me would be to STOP talking about the book once I got started.

The last professional book I read: Readicide by Kelly Gallagher
    The last nonfiction book I read: In the Garden of Beasts by Eric Larson
    The last fiction book I read: Harry Potter 7 (for the 4th time)

In just a few minutes, I will begin Dance with Dragons: Song of Ice and Fire Book 5!

(Btw, for you bibliophiles, make sure you check out the site Goodreads. Many of us AtoZers are on there, and you can keep up with what everyone is reading and get some great ideas for books to add to your own library!)

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 20, 2011

That reminds me...I have 2 books to log into Goodreads (I read Smokin Seventeen in one day and 10th Anniversary the next day LOL). I have a 100 book challenge for the year and I am fully expecting to exceed that!

19. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

I've been asked this question before. I typically answer with, "The last book I read for pleasure was ______ and the last professional book (or article) I read was _______."