Very important, interview tomorrow and need advice fast

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by CanadianTeacher, Jul 7, 2005.

1. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 7, 2005

Well, the postings finally went up last week and I've been busy applying for positions. I've applied for 15 positions and today I got a call for an interview. It's for Grade 7/8 French Immersion for half time and English the other half time. I am excited, but I have mixed feelings because I've heard that the principal is difficult and it involves driving about half an hour. However, having a full time teaching job would trump all that. My questions are:

If I am offered the position, how do I go about buying time to see if I hear from any of the other positions I applied for? I don't want to ruin my chances by seeming picky about what job I take, but according to how things work around here, this will be my only chance to choose and I wouldn't want to get a job offer for one of my preferred positions after accepting this one (this one was on my least preferred, but still okay list).

Also, I chose not to give the name of my last practicum mentor teacher or the school's name. I just gave the grade that my practicum was and that's it. How do I address this if I am asked? That practicum was horrible (see thread, "Horrible practicum experience) I don't want to seem like I am hiding anything, but I don't want to cut my own throat either.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2005

Well, my gut says if you don't really want this job, don't take it. Use it as interviewing practice. Or, how about since you don't want this job, just come right out and answer questions/address issue-it won't hurt anything if you didn't really want the job anyway. And if they can handle what you have to say and still offer you the job, well maybe it is meant to be. Tell them you can give them an answer by....(last day you'll wait to hear from other positions) Then that way, you can put it off and hope for the other offers to come through and if they don't, you may still have a job. As far as the bad experience, be up front-but phrase it as a learning experience. Don't talk poorly of specifics, just try and address it quickly and turn it around to what lessons you learned from it and how it's made you into a better teacher. Good luck.

4. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 7, 2005

agree

I totally agree with lve2tch. I had a horrible experience this past year, my 5th year teaching the same grade. When brought up in the interview I told them a the truth and what I learned from the experience and how I handled a certain situation. As for the job, I did this for the upcoming school year. The principal called me and offered me the job 30 minutes after I left. I still had another interview coming up and had just left a great one prior to it as well. I told her I had another interview that afternoon and would let her know by such and such day. As for the school that was neck and neck with this one, I called that principal (who told me to call her if I had another offer and had not heard from her yet) and told her and said that I had to let this principal know by such and such day. This way I did not "shoot myself in the foot" and take the first thing. I am very happy with how it turned out!!!! Good luck!

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 7, 2005

I guess it's a gamble either way. I can't afford to be picky and throw a job out the window, I don't know....I'm just very discouraged...I want things to work out for me and I'm tired of the uncertainty. I have decided that I will do everything I can to do well on the interview and if I am offered the job, I will take it and do my best to make it what I want it to be. I can't control how things happen, but I can control what I do to try and make them into what I want.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2005

Still hoping you feel better about your decision. Keep us updated on what you end up doing. If all else, you can take the job and use it as an experience that helps shape all others...A year goes by fast- work on building your portfolio and keep yourself around positive support throughout the year. While you're secure with one job, you can reduce the amount of pressure you put on yourself as you continue to put out feelers for your next job. Start to focus on the school you want to be in and get to know some people there- then next year you'll get called again for an interview and maybe land the job!

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 8, 2005

Well, I had my interview this morning and OMG, it couldn't have gone any better! There wasn't one time that I didn't know what to say, I didn't have to search my mind for answers, they were smiling and nodding the whole time (there were 3 of them) and this has to be a good sign, I used my portfolio to provide examples to answers (as suggested by the principal in my last interview), I even made myself a 'classroom management binder' that I brought with me, I mentioned it and they asked to see it and seemed very impressed. The interview was conducted partly in French and partly in English and my oral French was better than the person asking me the questions in French. I walked away very pumped! Maybe I'm setting myself up to fall hard if I don't get it, but it's hard not to get my hopes up after waiting for this for so long. To get a contact in my first year of teaching would just be amazing. They say attitude is everything and I walked in there with confidence and I really hope it made a difference. Now that I've been through it, I am more optimistic and I think I would be very happy if they offered me the job.

On another note, when I got home I noticed a new posting for a job at a school that I've spent the last three years supplying at. I've always said I'd love to work there full time because I know the staff (I went to school there as a student and some of the teachers that taught me are still there) and I feel very at home there. I applied for it right away and now I hope I don't get caught. I'd rather work where I am so familiar, but if the first one offers me the job before I hear anything from this latest one, I'm pretty much stuck to take it.

Oh well, I guess I should just leave it up to the powers that be and however it happens is probably how it is meant to be. I am feeling much more optimistic than I was a couple of months ago. :D