Very frustrating for me

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Nov 30, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2012

It's the end of the year and we are on our 6th exam. I tell my kids the exact same rules every single time. And every single time I still get kids who break the rules. It drives me crazy!

My rules are not that hard:

1. Do not open the test until I tell you to.
    2. Raise your hand if you have a question, do not call out my name.
    3. I will not translate words.
    4. Do not tell me when you're finished. Just sit quietly and draw in the empty spaces until everyone is done, then I take up the tests.

And every single time I have kids opening the test, calling out my name, asking me to translate words and telling me they're done. It makes me insane! How can it be that we're on the sixth exam of the year and kids still don't understand my rules? And it's not like I just expect them to know them. Every time before I pass out the tests I say "remember..." and then state all the things I expect of them.

Plus we practice the exact same things in the classroom every day. When they are done with work they have this awful habit of yelling out "FINISHED" which must be what they do in all other classrooms. I told them from the very first day I didn't want them doing it. I tell them every day to raise their hand instead of calling out my name. In fact, I always ignore the kids who call out my name and say "I'll call on someone who is waiting patiently with their hand up." When they yell "FINISHED" I either ignore them, give them a "teacher look" or say "yes, and what are you supposed to do?" And they'll go "oh yeah!" And color or read or something.

Uuugghhh!! :dizzy:

What more could I possibly do? I think that perhaps this behavior is allowed in all their other classes so they forget they can't do it in my room.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 30, 2012

Welcome to Middle School. xD

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2012

These are fourth graders!

My middle schoolers are actually pretty good about it. There's a few slip ups, but 4th graders are by far the worst.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 30, 2012

Maybe the rules need to be on a poster in your room next year? That way, you can silently point to which one is being broken at that moment, keeping the quiet you want for the test.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2012

Awesome idea!!! I'll definitely do that for next year!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 30, 2012

Can you make simple rule cards that can be taped to their desks? Ask them to read the cards silently before you hand out exams. Have them show that they have finished reading the rules with some simple gesture (hand on head or whatever). Write the number of gestures you observe on the board, changing as appropriate. When all have complied, comment on it and start. Practice this at non-exam times. Hand out something else. Give rewards for those that read the rules then follow them. The rewards can be a simple sticker on the paper or something more than that. Reduce the talking about the rules, on your part and theirs.

8. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 30, 2012

What everyone else said...plus, make sure they have HW to start (a handout or an assignment from the book) that they are to start the minute they finish the test, to help keep them quiet so the rest of the class has a chance to finish in peace and quiet. I have my kids turn their test over (so no handwriting shows) and place it on the upper left corner of their desk, open the book on top of the test, and start their HW. (That test is never to be turned up or written on again once they have made the decision that they are done hand have turned the test over.) I either pick up the tests individually, or wait until everyone is through and have them pass the tests up. No one is to talk or otherwise communicate until I tell them that I have all the tests.

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Nov 30, 2012

I have two very simple signals in my room:
    1) If you are done, put your pencil up.(Then I take their test paper.)
    2) If you need something, put your hand up.

10. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 1, 2012

Are there any consequences for breaking the rules? If all you're doing is reminding them over and over, they may not feel like you really mean what you say.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 1, 2012

I normally wouldn't provide consequences for these behaviors and I think that's probably Lucy's line of thinking here, but if it gets to be a problem, I agree, consequences might be one way you can go.

Another way would simply be to rethink your review of the procedures for test taking. Definitely tell them the way you do, and then remind them again to make sure they do not flip the tests over while the tests are being handed out, remind them right after they start that if they have questions to raise their hand quietly. Perhaps even remind them again halfway through the test. Remind them of the test completion procedure right before the first student finishes their test. Essentially just think over your timing of reminders (they will need multiple ones).

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Dec 2, 2012

I've made my class stand up behind their desk before they take the test so they can listen and look at me while I'm modeling what they are going to do on the test. Then I give them an extra 10 seconds to sit down, get their pencil, turn over their test, and start before I start the timer; our quarterly tests are timed. Practicing until they get it is really another way of ensuring they get it. And no matter what you do, I fully believe you will ALWAYS have one or two that call out "I'm done!" or come running to you. It's the nature of having so many different personalities.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

Students are pretty good at staying quiet after testing in my school, but it is something that is supported by all of the other teachers. It can be hard if they are allowed to yell out in all of their other classes. When I taught in a really tough area for a semester, the kids all yelled out that they were finished.