Very frustrating afternoon

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Nov 13, 2014.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014

Today we were released early for the second time to do parent conferences. We were to only meet with parents whose students were struggling. I had 4 conferences set up today. NOT one showed up. In fact one of those kids was absent from school today. I am sure because she didn't want to have to come to the conference. She even lives right across the street from the school. Two of those same parents didn't bother to come to the conferences from the first six weeks. I have spent my afternoon catching up on lots of stuff but I would have much rather have met with those parents. How can you not care about your kids education? I get that some can't come because of work. I even offered to do phone conferences. I called last week, sent home notes last week, and a reminder yesterday. ughhhh Not how I wanted to spend my afternoon! :dizzy:

3. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Nov 13, 2014

I feel your pain..I have been holding conferences since October 29th and have had 5 or so noshows..and I still have 4 more to do..what is even more irritating is that we get no extra time to do them so pretty much all of them are done on my own time.. next year I'm going to have to think of a better way to do these conferences..

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014

Fortunately we have been given two half days when the entire district gets out and then we were given another half day when we had a sub. I have had plenty of time on contract time so I cant complain. It's the parents!!!! This really tells me how they feel about their child's education. Makes me extremely sad for them considering this is kindergarten. They are going to have 12 years of no help at home. How are these kids going to be productive members of society?

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Nov 13, 2014

Very telling, isn't it? It explains a lot which parents show up, and which don't.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 13, 2014

The most frustrating part on my end is home visits.

I'd venture to say that 60% of the time, I'll drive over to a home and the family won't answer the door (even though it's clear that people are inside).

There was one particular day when I told a sweet kindergartener that I had gone to his house to visit his mom the day before. He said, "Oh, I know. But my mom didn't wanna answer the door when she saw you!" :eek:

7. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Nov 28, 2014

Judging by how some parents show up just to pick up their child at dismissal time, I am pretty sure many are not in the least interested in having a conference with a teache!

This explains why some of the students are the way they are.