Very Frustrated! Need opinions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kab164, Mar 10, 2011.

1. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 10, 2011

I signed up for an LD endorsement to help me get a teaching job. I have 16 credits toward this endorsement, which I thought was 30 credits. I discovered to my shock today that it's 39 for the endorsement and 44 for a master's. At my current job I'd make more $ with a master's but not an endorsement. My advisor also told me today that I DO need to do 6 credits of student teaching, even though I'm currently teaching. I asked her how I can do this, and she said possibly at lunch/prep times.

I am so torn. I only have two years to finish this which means 28 credits in 2 years while working full time and I have a little girl at home. I am also upset because I didn't realize a reading master's is only 34 credits which is 5 credits less than just the endorsement which won't lead to more $. Do I just stop this process and waste the money I've already spent? I am NOT a happy camper right now!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2011

You got your job on the basis of working towards this degree/endorsement. What happens if you don't finish?

4. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 10, 2011

No, I started the endorsement in the hope it would help me get a job. It's not related to my present job. Of course anything you learn is valuable. But to pay for 39 credits and not even have a master's, is a lot of time/energy and money. If I do the master's it's 44 credits which is about 10 credits more than most other masters I've seen. I just don't know if I want to throw away the money I've already spent. I don't like that I only have 2 years to take 28 credits when I am teaching and have a little girl. She's my priority. I feel very torn and have to sign up for summer classes in a few days if I'm taking any!

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2011

So if you already have a teaching job, does it matter that you get the endorsement (since you said it was to help you get a job)?

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 10, 2011

I'd do the master's. 5 credits is a drop in the bucket in the long run. And you'll make more money.

7. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 11, 2011

It doesn't matter except I have spent a lot of money to get these 16 credits. If I don't finish the master's, I won't make any more $. And I need to decide now as I only have 2 years to finish so I'd have to register for summer classes Monday. I've spent over $5000 so far.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

A couple of things to ask at the college...

My masters program allowed us to take time off and then rejoin later. Is this a possibility? Could you take a few classes, take a semester break, then take the rest of the classes?

Also, are any of your credits transferable to the reading degree? We took action research early and this class transferred to any other masters. Just a thought.

9. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 11, 2011

Yes, I am going to see if any of these classes would transfer to a masters that would be 10 credits less. That is about $4000 less which for a teacher is a lot of money. It would also take less time to get the master's IF they will transfer some of what I've already done. I've looked at other universities LD masters and they are are in the 30-34 range, can't figure out why this college's is 10 credits more than that. I am so irritated right now!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

You can also look at transferring credits to another college. It might be an option.