Very disturbing Student response, need feedback.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chalk, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Sep 27, 2010

Ok, A fellow of mine was in a class where the students (she is not the teacher she is in our MA program) had been discussing the methods of punishment used through out history in a wide variety of context. Things like capital punishment vs Jail, Greek exile vs public flogging, you get the idea.

This is a H/S intro to soc. class I think. The students were assigned to write a short essay about how they were disciplined while growing up and analyze how the methods their parent or guardian used influenced their behavior, how the methods evolved and how effective they were from the students perspective. (all ready I had red flags going up)
    I read the response and I am paraphrasing with quotes.

One student response was from a female who claimed her mother and father had "routinely" spanked her with a paddle while growing up and that the paddle hangs in her parents closet and would be used on her if she broke any of the "significant Rules". She also made statements regarding "getting it on the bare butt". She finished by saying that she hates getting spanked but says that she is well behaved because she knows she will get spanked for misbehaving (again paraphrasing here).

OK HERE IS the three part Dilemma for me.

1. A student of teenage years reveals pants down paddle spanking to a teacher..... Does one report it as abuse? or is it acceptable discipline given that this is TN and people around here fully believe in spanking going to far as to let the schools use a paddle on kids.

2. I am not comfortable with a male teacher asking teens to describe their punishments..... it just feels wrong, and makes me think of a person with a fetish. HELP I don't want to think this way but.....

3. How many teen girls would go into such detail about this type of punishment? Bare butt spanking..... seems a little odd, almost like either a cry for help or a desire for attention, or maybe even a sexual thing?

OK so am I over thinking this or what? I am debating on whether to advise the school counselor about this assignment and her note.

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

I feel like you're over thinking it a little. I was spanked growing up; many people were spanked growing up. It used to be (and in many places still is) a very acceptable form of punishment. As far as her describing it as "bare butt," from her POV, it probably made the punishment more severe, as spanking with no pants would hurt more than with pants. I doubt it was anything sexual, or really, anything more than just doing the assignment. If there is suggestive language that does not come across in your paraphrase, then maybe? If a high school student is STILL being spanked, pants down, that would be a cause for concern. If it's past tense, not so much.

As far as the fetish thing, that seems a little far fetched as well considering the context. Has the teacher done or said anything that would suggest such? Considering the topic, it does link to student's childhood punishments.

4. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Sep 27, 2010

You make good points and I opted to take a "deviant psychology" Class for a CEU so I may be seeing monsters everywhere right now. Although it is my understanding that girls at this age would be very closed about anything dealing with personal areas of their body.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2010

I, too, think you are overthinking this. A colleague and I were just discussing this topic because one of our students was spanked two weeks ago and the parent "informed us" to let us know he was addressing the child's poor behavior, and believe it or not, he was spanked on the bare butt best we could tell. By "inform" I mean that the father was on the phone with the school and was so angry he handed the phone off to his wife and could be heard telling his son to "get those pants off". My colleague was also spanked on her bare butt as a teenager. I admit, I was a little surprised by this, but she said it only happened a couple of times, and she really does credit those spankings as "saving her" from continuing down a wild and crazy path. I wasn't spanked on the bare butt, but spanked...or whooped, as we called it. I'm not advocating for or against this (that's so another thread), but simply saying I wouldn't think much of this assignment and the student's response.

As far as girls of this age being private about their bodies...everyone is different. Some are insanely uncomfortable even thinking about their own body, while we see others are outwardly embracing their body.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 27, 2010

I think you're over-thinking it too. But even if you might be on the right track, what could you really do about it anyhow? Accuse the parents of past abuse? Accuse the teacher of being lecherous? Accuse the teen of being a tease?

I've had teens in youth groups at church tell me about getting spanked when they were younger. One even laughed about how his mother would send him into the shower first - probably to get the filth off but he thought it was so his butt would be wet when she popped him (it stings more). I never once thought anything into it. And yes, most of the kids responding were teen girls.

7. Icare

Icare Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

I agree with you Chalk. Thats a tad bit too creepy for me.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2010

Hey, you never know what thoughts lurk in the minds of seemingly normal people. The scary thing is, we don't know who's normal & who's demented. You never know what's truly behind the male teacher asking for the kids to do this assignment. And BARE BUTT spanking in the teen yrs sounds strange to me personally. I sure hope it's the mom doing this & not the dad. Then, again, no one knows. The only people in that house witnessing the event are the parents & that teen girl! :eek:

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2010

I didn't really get a creepy vibe from what you've described. It sounded like the student responded to the questions asked, and I don't feel like the teacher was being inappropriate by asking those questions, either.

10. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

I don't get a bad vibe from it at all. How you were disciplined 'growing up' versus, how are you disciplined now.

That's on the teacher's side. Now...naked butt spanking a teenager is just awkward, even spanking at that age.

You would think you can't use the computer, or no socializing for the next weekend or two would be enough at that age...

11. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

From the OP, it seemed like the student was referring to being spanked as a younger child. If she was still being spanked as a high schools student, that would strike me as odd.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 27, 2010

That was how I read it as well.

I think it is a perfectly acceptable question and assignment from the teacher, given the context it was put in. The assignment asked for punishment that occurred in the past (presumably). It's perfectly natural for toddlers to run around without clothes on and for them to get "popped" on the bottom if they are doing something they shouldn't (like reaching for the glowing stove eye). That would still qualify as a spanking on the bare butt.

I agree it would be more than a little strange if the teen is still being spanked for breaking "Significant Rules", but some families still do that.

If she is still getting spankings on her bare butt, then I agree that would need to be reported, but again, I didn't read the OP that way.

13. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Sep 27, 2010

I should clarify, from my reading of the students response she does indicate that she has been and will be spanked on the bare butt for rule infractions.

Thanks all of you for your comments. I think I am "jumping at shadows" on this one and I have to remind myself that this is TN after all and the culture does believe spanking is an effective modus of punishment for older children. I suppose I will let this go. I just had one of those odd feelings that there was more going on than I could see. It may have been the tone or context in which my fellow brought me this students paper that had me prejudging or looking for something "Bad" instead of reading it unbiased. Like I said, if you take deviant psychology its easy to start seeing Dexter in everyone.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 28, 2010

I live in rural NC (very close to the NC/TN state line). I'm sure our culture is similar to TN. I feel spanking is an acceptable punishment in some situations, but it would be very unusual for a parent to still be spanking a teenager, much less spanking them on their bare bottom. It is even more concerning that, most likely, the father is the one that delivers the discipline.

At the very least, this might require a little more clarification. You might speak to the teacher who gave the assignment, as well as the P and school counselor to get their feedback on the situation. Does the girl literally mean her pants (and panties) are pulled down (by her or the parent) before being spanked? Exactly what age is the student? (If she is a "young" teenager, I can kinda see that the parent(s) may not be thinking about the fact she is not a "little girl" anymore. If she is an older teen, then it definitely moves towards being "creepy". Regardless of age, baring her bottom is inappropriate and should not be acceptable).

Of course, the other possibility is that the girl is exaggerating the punishment, so you need to consider all the factors before moving forward.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 28, 2010

ok--Mother of a teen here. My son was spanked...ok, border line beaten, when he was smaller. He is in 11th grade. When he discusses punishment with his peers (I have heard this conversation) he makes it sound like he was spanked last week...when in fact it has been over 4 years. He knows that I might still spank him (Ok, I really wouldn't!) and he jokes that I am tough enough to do it. His punishments now go toward taking car, grounding, missing football practice (this is a big one--no practice, no play), taking phone, taking ipod, and physical labor. He got in big trouble this summer for talking back, I had the best flower beds in the city.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 28, 2010

That's why I suggested there should be more clarity on the issue. Even in the "culture" where spanking is acceptable, I find it hard to believe any parents actually spank their teen, especially on a bare bottom. Hence, I admitted the daughter may be exaggerating the claims, just as your son does (or did). My initial thought, as well, was that it might have happened when she was younger, but I would really doubt it is happening now.

Still, the fact that there is still just the smallest sliver of doubt means the situation should be looked into a little more thoroughly , just to be sure.

17. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

I don't think you're overthinking it.
    Here's the catcher: I don't know where you are from, but in my state, teachers are mandatory reporters, which means that if we suspect abuse beyond normal childhood discipline, we HAVE to report it. If we don't, we can be suspended, lose our licenses, and under 'failure to protect' laws we can be charged with the same crime the parents committed.
    Furthermore, most states are fine with spanking using only hands, but in my state at least, using something other than a hand (such as a paddle or a belt) is defined as physical abuse.
    If in doubt and you don't know what to do, talk to your principal. They'll know what you should do.

18. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

I would definitely talk to an admin and see if you need to report this. I'm fairly certain that in my state this would need to be investigated. Better safe than sorry.

19. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 29, 2010

I'd certainly keep an eye out for signs of abuse. I was spanked as a child. When my father spanked me, he was often not in control. As a result, I had purple bruises and the skin was broken sometimes. I know now that this is considered physical abuse according to the law.

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2010

It depends on the state. In NC, that would likely be considered "inappropriate discipline". I only know this because I reported my ex to Social Services after she struck our middle son in the side of the head with the belt buckle in a fit of rage. He tried to run from her when she told him he was going to get whipped and she chased after him, swinging the belt as she went. There was still a visible bruise on his temple 4 days later.

I reported this to Social Services, they investigated and made her sign a "Safety Contract" in which she promised she would NOT use spanking or whipping as discipline anymore. *I* was told by the investigator the boys would be removed from the home if this happened again. Unfortunately, when she DID spank the boys again (as I told the investigator she would), he then told me that spanking was just "inappropriate discipline" and was not justification for removing children from the home. :eek:

If a blow to the temple isn't considered abuse, then spanking on a bare bottom won't be either.

It still sounds to me as if the teen is exaggerating the seriousness and/or timeline of the punishment received, but educators cannot ignore the possibility that may not be the case, not matter how slim that possibility is.