VERY confusing Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Sep 19, 2008.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

I went in for an interview this morning. It was for a classroom teaching assistant position.

The principal welcomed me and I congratulated him on just being named a blue ribbon school. He thanked me and talked quite a while on that. He then went on and on about the position and the district.

He mentioned how it was tough going through so many applications (that for teachers they break it down to 10 to interview but with aides they settle on 5) and that at the end his head was spinning. He asked me about my background.

He asked why it was that I applied for this position in September. As I was about to speak he made some shrug or semi-comment as if to say...is it because you were looking for a full job, and now are applying to aide?

I said, "Yes. My ultimate goal would be to have a classroom of my own, but I am very excited about the prospect of working as an assistant with your talented staff."

Then he talked about how there may or may not be follow up interviews with the grade level team - but since there would have to be good collaboration, he thinks there would be. He went on to talk about the head teacher who left and how great she was.

He talked about a few more things, then asked if i had any questions. I came up with two...and started to wonder if i weren't going to be asked about assessments or literacy, or interventions, or ANYTHING!?!?!?!?!

Then he said that he did a few interviews yesterday, and will do two more after me. That he would let me know by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. And thank you for coming in.

WHAT???? Was he interviewing me...or acting as if HE were being interviewed? Because I wasn't asked much of anything.

I know time will tell...but... i almost felt he has the decision made and just had to have people come in (so he can say he did). I had interviewed with this district (it was the first booth I visited at a job fair) - and I remember blowing the first question and feeling so bad...so I PREPARED and was SO ready for ANYTHING this guy would have thrown at me...and

What was THAT????:huh::confused:

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

That is a strange interview!! Was it an interview or a bragging session?

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

I agree! WHAT? Did he just want people to come in so he could listen to himself talk about the school? Maybe he's already told everyone at the school and they are sick of it so he decided to bring people in to listen to him.....:haha:

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

Someone (principal) is a little self-centred...:D He'd probably be easy to work for..stroke his ego once in a while and you're good to go! :lol:

6. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 19, 2008

ridiculous...there should be laws....here, they post jobs that do not really exist...because people know they have them before they are public knowledge....grr.....

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2008

A weird interview indeed!! It sounds like he just wanted to toot his own horn about how wondering HIS school was.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

That does sound like a strange interview!

9. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Sep 19, 2008

Sounds like perhaps he has made his choice already but has to conduct the scheduled interviews anyway. I've been on interviews like that. Drove over an hr each way to get there, and they don't ask more than the basic questions and its over in less than 10 minutes. Never asked my experience or anything.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

Usually I can tell (coming out of an interview) how it went. Good or not. And i couldn't tell at all if this WAS ok. But I did get the impression that this wasn't of real interest.

I agree.. to me it feels like the decision was made already.

11. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Very weird interview. It sounds like he was going through the motions with you.