*Very* awkward situation with my principal, I could use advice

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

I agree that it is best to tell the truth.

Personally, I would have mentioned something to her at the beginning of the summer. When I applied for a different job last summer, I told my current principal right away. Like your situation, I knew that he would find out somehow and I wanted it to be from me. Obviously, it's too late for you to do that now, but just some advice for next time. :)

2. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

I was in the same situation at the beginning of the summer. I let my principal know that I was looking and why and he was very understanding. I was nervous to tell him but felt much better after I did. I'd just be honest and email your current P now.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

Thank you. Well put. Teachers should not be held hostage in a job. Tell me another profession that denies any competition, and forces employees to only job search for a brief window of time, mostly when no jobs are available. Ridiculous.

Pisces, don't feel guilty.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

hope it went well

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

I'm still leaving my current P in the dark but I plan to call her today. :unsure: I left a voicemail with the P I interviewed with, explaining that would like to give my current P some news about my decision. I hate to be so bold, but I can't play the waiting game. School starts 30 days from today!!!!!

Jobs for K and 2nd were posted again this morning, but the 1st position I interviewed for isn't posted. I have no idea what that could mean.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

:hugs: and good luck. You need to contact your P immediately though...you can't leave P in the dark too much longer.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

ANY job can be jeapordized if the boss finds out you're looking for a different job. And when you working one job while looking for another, you are going to have limits on the time(s) you can meet the potential employer for application, interviews, etc. This is not exclusive to teaching.

When I worked for the home health agency, I began looking for a different job that did NOT involve being "on call". I applied for a job with the Department of Social Services. It is rare that they have openings, so I had to meet their time schedule by adjusting mine. I had to take two written tests for the job which basically served as the "interview" because they chose the two applicants with the highest scores for the job.

I had other paperwork that had to be done, all while still working my home health job. Since my current job was delivering medical equipment, I had to document every stop I made, except for lunch. Fortunately, the nature of the business allowed a great deal of flexibility about when lunch was taken. So I could just write "Lunch Break" when I was doing the test and follow-up paperwork for the new job.

The point is that ANY job presents time limits and other restraints on employees who may be looking elsewhere and there is always the chance the boss is not going to be happy if (s)he finds out the employee is looking.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Cerek, I'm not talking about a principal/employer getting upset...I am speaking of the fact that it seems some teachers flat-out can't obtain a new position without penalties. For example, the poster recently who had to pay $1,000 to move to a much better fit of a district...during the summer. That is criminal to me.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

Yes, of course any job has limits.

My point is what other job requires you to sign your life away more than a year in advance, with the threat of losing your professional credentials if you decide to change jobs?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

Last year, I had a friend who accepted an offer at another district (in early June), but she waited until two weeks before we reported back to school to give her notice.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

What happened today Pisces?

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

Why?

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

Many people move to take a different job. A lifelong friend of mine was a graphic design engineer for Coca-Cola in Atlanta for many years. When he was let go by Coke, he found a similar job with Pepsi, but had to move to their HQ in Chicago. I'm sure that move also cost at least $1,000.

This is just part of the cost of life. Sometimes the "dream job" we want requires a long move. In my case, it is more important to remain in my current area (to be near my boys), than it is to have that "perfect" job. So I've worked as a substitute here rather than a full-time teacher in a district farther away.

Life is a series of decisions and many of those decisions involve a trade-offs. We have to decide which of those trade-offs is most important to us.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

That is completely different. Moving costs? Not even remotely related to having pay the Board $1,000 bucks for accepting a better teaching opportunity in June.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

That particular teacher was going to have to pay $1000 to the school board, IN ADDITION to her personal moving costs. Not the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.