Very anxious. Advice for "sitting and waiting" needed.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by S Dubb, Jun 8, 2007.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

I am just coming out of my student teaching and I am looking for my first full-time elementary teaching job. I have submitted my application to many school districts (most of them are online applications only), and I have been sitting and waiting to hear any response.

Is there anything that I can do to increase my chances of getting a phone call for an interview? Most, if not all, of the websites say not to turn in any hard copies of anything, so I can't go into the HR offices and give them a copy of my application. How appropriate is it to make a phone call after submitting an application? How long after submitting it should I call (if I should), and what would I say? Is there anything else I can do? The waiting is really making me nervous... :eek:

3. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

I would call them within days of submitting it. If you call I feel that it shows them that you are interested. I think it would be beneficial if you have the time to take principals your resume and hand deliver it. Now that summer is upon them they may actually be there and not be in meetings. You really have to be persistent and pushy because otherwise they will not know you're interested. Just submitting an application does nothing. You actually have to work to get an interview. It sucks but it has to be done.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

Good luck... following-up within just a couple of days would be to your advantage. You don't want them to forget about you. :)

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

Ummm...how about contacting the principals directly via email, since the system is online, and letting them know your credentials personally and that your info is with the district.

Good luck!

6. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

I agree with what everyone else said. I think the only reason I have some upcoming interviews is because I e-mailed all the Human Resources directors and basically said I will be in the area between these days, can I talk to some about potential jobs. I live in Michigan, but am applying out of state so I told the HR people I am interested in getting to know the areas I applied to. My goal was to show these schools that I am serious about moving and I want to work for them.

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 9, 2007

Definitely follow up! It's most beneficial if you are able to do this in person since the HR person or principal him/herself can match a face to a resume. Since you said you're applications are mostly online, you could still go in and make sure there isn't anything else you need to do. I mean, you probably know all you need to do, but this gives you an excuse. If you happen to have a mini portfolio or an e-portfolio, that will give you the chance to drop it off. You can even ask if the principal or superintendent is available. I honestly don't know how many people would ask for the super., because it is a gutsy thing to do, but I really think it will give you an advantage and make you look like you really want the job. Also, really research every school you are applying to and make sure you aren't being "generic" in your cover letters or any other material. I've made that mistake before.

8. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Thank you all for the advice. I truly appreciate it. :)

My biggest concern is coming across as "too persistent/annoying" though. The website of the district that I am most interested in specifically says please do not directly contact a school regarding applications, so I have not done that. Would anyone have done differently here? I'm torn because if I were to contact the school, one side could argue that I am determined despite what the website says. The other side, however, could say that I don't know how to follow directions/read the website.

Sasafras, the district that I am looking at is also out of town for me. I could go visit it any time, as it is only about two hours away though. If I e-mailed or called someone in HR saying that I will be in town between X & Y days, what should I continue saying? Obviously I already know that there is technically "nothing else I can do" besides submit my application (which I have already done).

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Well never feel like you are being too pushy or persistent. I always thought that last yr. and was not persistent enough. This yr. I decided I was going to be persistent, and I feel that it has helped me get interviews because I actually took the time to visit principals, email them, send them packets, etc. I even had one principal tell me that all the emails helped (even tho she never gave me an interview) but whatever. Principals are busy so I feel that if you keep putting yer name out there they will remember you.

10. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

So even though the website specifically says not to directly contact a school, I should still do it anyway?

11. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Maybe just send an email to the principal. I dont see where there's any harm in that.

12. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Maybe you could act as if you never saw that little "blurb"? Honestly though, my district says the same thing, however the person we just hired came directly to the office of the school to hand-deliver her resume and just happened to get an interview that moment! The principal had time set up an interview that didn't show and pulled her in before an interview committee!

You have to be agressive where we are in Texas, otherwise you'll be left behind! You've got to show how you'll work to get something and that is a good indicator of how you will work in your classroom.

Good luck and GO FOR IT!

13. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

I think I'm just going to go for it then! Thanks for the advice. Since I live two hours away, I think I am going to email the principal. Any tips on what I should say?

I don't have the faintest clue as to why, but this whole application process just seems incredibly difficult to me. I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from this thread though.