Verifying RICA scores

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by KAT1234, Jul 5, 2011.

1. KAT1234

KAT1234 New Member

Jul 5, 2011

Has anyone ever verified their failed RICA scores and actually had them altered? I received a 119(needed a 220) and wondered if it would be worth the $50 to have my scores verified.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

You got a 119?

4. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

I think they means a 219.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

I'd be likelier to recommend rescoring in the case of a 119 than of a 219, in fact: a 119 is so low as to be a likely fluke.

6. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

True, you might be right. But still 119 seems pretty hard to get.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

Exactly, Scott71. The scoring scale bottoms out at 100; a score of 119 is, I think, even lower than would be the result of selecting answers at random. A score of 219, in contrast - one slender point below passing - is much less statistically anomalous and therefore less likely to be the result of malfunctioning machinery or misplaced constructed responses.

8. KAT1234

KAT1234 New Member

Jul 6, 2011

Sorry, 219.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2011

Not worth it, then, KAT1234. Sorry.

When you get your official score report, let's talk, please.

Are you aware that the next time RICA is given, it will be computer-based?

10. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

Yeah 219 is a tough one the only thing you can hope for is the essay part. The multiple questions will not be graded again. And I am sure they would have to have another two people to grade the essay part. I never heard of anybody that got it passed after they did this process. Get the book by Jame Zarrillo "Ready for the Rica".

11. KAT1234

KAT1234 New Member

Jul 7, 2011

Bummer!

Yes, I did hear it will be computer based. Wonder how it will be? I saw the tutorial on the RICA website but it didn't go over much.

Thanks for the insight.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2011

As nearly as I can tell, it will be as much like the paper tests as possible, aside from the computer screen. I'm told there won't be scratch paper but there will be a personal dry-erase board and testing-center staff will see to providing test takers a clean board regularly.

The tutorial is simply designed to acquaint people with how this kind of computerized test works: you MAY skip around and mark questions to go back to, you MAY have the clock display to tell you how much time you have left but you don't have to, you'll have access to really simple word-processing tools (cut and paste, basically) but no spell check or grammar check... that sort of thing.

13. aiming_success

aiming_success Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

Hi TeacherGroupie,

With regard to the computer-based testing, will the essay questions be entered on a computer screen rather than written out?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2011

Yes, with very basic editing tools (cut and paste, but no spell check nor grammar check).

15. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 12, 2011

No spell check or grammar check. Bummer. ;) just relax when you take the test. Good luck.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2011

These aren't essays: grammar isn't the issue it is in CBEST, and one can perfectly well bullet-list where appropriate.

As for spelling, the multiple-choice questions are full of terminology that's spelled correctly even if it isn't used correctly...

17. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

Yeah I did a lot that with the spelling. It does work too. The Rica is a tough test. James Zillaros(sp) helped me out a lot.

18. JenBear

JenBear New Member

Jan 3, 2014

So did you verify or take it again? I'm in the same boat. I got a 218 and am wondering if I should have it verified or just take the exam again.

Thanks!

19. SJPINEH

SJPINEH New Member

Jul 12, 2018

I'm getting my results verified. If anyone is in the same boat let me know.

Uploading my results for reference only. I have not passed the RICA and will be taking the test in 25 days. I will be challenging this result only because I did not receive any corrective feedback and don't understand how 3 * * * marks only yields 2 points. I Improved the case study by * * and word analysis by *. If anybody has any explanation as to why I only earned 2 extra points please elaborate.

June 19th - Not Pass Total Score: 218
    1: Planning, Organizing, & Managing Reading Instr. * * *
    2: Word Analysis.. * * *
    3: Fluency.. * * *
    4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Backgroun * *
    5: Comprehension.. * *
    Case Study (Domains 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) * * * *
    No corrective feedback given.

On May 4th Not Pass Total Score: 216
    1: Planning, Organizing, & Managing Reading Instr. * * *
    2: Word Analysis.. * *
    3: Fluency.. * * *
    4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Backgrond * *
    5: Comprehension.. * *
    Case Study (Domains 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) * *
    * Describing instructional strategies and/or activities

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2018

Each plus mark + represents a band of scores - there's some evidence that + is up to 25% of available points and that ++++ is over 75% of available points. Your diagnostic indicators from May in domains 2, 4, and 5, plus the case study, were all ++, which could represent almost 50%, or just over 25%, or anything in between. I'm guessing that you were fairly high in the ++ band in each domain.

In June you improved nicely in the case study: ++++ means you were in the top band, and the fact that your response wasn't assigned any of the standard three diagnostics means that you were at least competent in all three. Domain 2, word analysis, also improved, to ++ - but probably to the lower part of the +++ band rather than the upper part. And the fact that a domain's diagnostic stays at +++ doesn't necessarily mean that the numerical score from the later test wasn't lower than that from the earlier test.

Be aware that word analysis accounts for fully 33% of multiple choice points, and even if your +++ in June was at the top of the band, you do still one more + worth of room for improvement.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2018

Each plus mark + represents a band of scores - there's some evidence that + is up to 25% of available points and that ++++ is over 75% of available points. Your diagnostic indicators from May in domains 2, 4, and 5, plus the case study, were all ++, which could represent almost 50%, or just over 25%, or anything in between. I'm guessing that you were fairly high in the ++ band in each domain.

In June you improved nicely in the case study: ++++ means you were in the top band, and the fact that your response wasn't assigned any of the standard three diagnostics means that you were at least competent in all three. Domain 2, word analysis, also improved, to ++ - but probably to the lower part of the +++ band rather than the upper part. And the fact that a domain's diagnostic stays at +++ doesn't necessarily mean that the numerical score from the later test wasn't lower than that from the earlier test.

Be aware that word analysis accounts for fully 33% of multiple choice points, and even if your +++ in June was at the top of the band, you do still one more + worth of room for improvement.

Gotamutt likes this.