Verbs in first grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Rosieo, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006

Any fun ideas on how to teach verbs in an interactive way to first graders? I am tired of the worksheets and just want a different idea. Something that would engage the children.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

Pantomime action verbs. All grades love to do that. You can add parts of sentences to indicate tense, too. Yesterday I (action) the ball.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006

Write verbs on popsicle sticks. Students take turns choosing from can an act out. Other students try and guess what verb is. You can develop it into a more advanced game using noun sticks as well.
    Use Simon Says.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

Read them Ruth Heller's KITES SAIL HIGH.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

I traced a child & I cut out 2 people. We did nouns on one & verbs on the other & hung them up side by side...we spent a lot of time doing it, but the kids loved it....we did them together, so if someone named a part, he next question was what do we do w/ that part?

7. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Mar 22, 2006

After introducing nouns and verbs, I do board races with them. I divide the class into two groups. The races work just like math races except I say a verb or noun and the students need to write down what part of speech it is. The quickest to come up with the correct part of speech wins a point. The team with the most points recieves a prize(free time minutes, a bonus point, sticker ect...).

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2006

Have you ever heard of the book "Hairy, Scary, Ordinary"?...that one is about adjectives, but they have them on nouns and verbs and other parts of grammar as well. The book all rhyme and have cute pictures. Most libraries have them.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

And you can buy them from www.reallygoodstuff.com

I got a different set of parts of speech books that rhyme from Scholastic. I love them.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 22, 2006

I love to read "To Root, To Toot, To Parachute: What is a Verb?" by Brian Cleary (Words are Categorial series) and "A Verb for Herb" by Maria Fleming (Grammar Tales series). Both are very funny. We then get to make posters for the classroom. This year I've read one and make a poster with the whole class. We make sure we include the definition. The next day, I'll read the other book and have the students (in small groups) make posters for the classroom. It's very comical. Then we practice the verbs they come up with. We usually make a seperate poster for those unusual helping and linking verbs.
    I have the whole set of each series, and we make posters from each book. The kids really get into it. I've noticed that the kids retained the information better than last years bunch (who I didn't use the books with). The posters have been hanging all over the room. I just took them down Monday (we're on spring break), since they can't be up during the IOWA testing (which is next week!).

11. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006

Great ideas! Thanks everyone!