Verbally Reprimanded by Assistant Principal in Front of Students and Staff

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by CaptWho, Aug 21, 2016.

1. CaptWho

CaptWho Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

I am a 3rd year teacher, and am serving my 2nd year in this district. (I believe) I stayed very much under the radar last year, and would consider myself the "Yes Man" of my current school site. At the beginning of last school year, there was a shortage of textbooks (I teach Science and Social Studies for 3 classes) that I noticed about 2 days before the Williams visit. I attempted to notify my assistant principal over the phone several times, and received no response. The day before, I finally broke down and contacted my Principal, and she said she would pass the message along to the A.P.. The morning of the visit, my A.P. collected books from another school site. This seemingly did not change/affect anything, as my initial supply was sufficient. I was told (off the record) I only needed one book for each child, or three sets of books-- not four like I had been told by another teacher. My Admins never discussed this with me again, and never told me how many books I was expected to have.
    Fast forward to a few days ago... My A.P. made an announcement at the end of the staff meeting about the upcoming visit and that she would be checking-in with everyone tomorrow, and then she singled me out in front of my colleagues, and asked if we were going to have another catastrophe like last year. (I believe) I said I was handling it, or something to that effect. She then instructed my GLC to check-in on that. All teachers received an email that stated they needed 32 books for each class. I knew I had that number, and was more concerned about finding all of the accompanying studyguides as they had only delivered 8 of those to my room (for a caseload of 96+ students) before the 1st week of school. The next morning after the staff meeting, I decided to recount my books just in case-- I still had what I needed, but was still bothered that I didn't have a 4th set for both subjects, so I emailed the librarian like we were asked to do.
    About 90min. later, my A.P. made her visit to ensure nothing was amiss for the Williams visit. At my door, she asked me what my problem/deal was with these books, and if I had learned anything from last year. She brushed past me, and said she wanted to get a look at this mess. I tried to explain to her that I had more than enough books for the three classes of students I teach, but didn't know if I was expected to have an in-class set for my two subjects. She cut me off and told me repeatedly, and told me to stop worrying about the 4th set of books. My Principal then walks in to do our daily student count. My A.P. then turns to me and told me she finds it is ridiculous that these books aren't numbered (they are, and have been re-numbered on every visible surface for ~90% of my books), and then told me how she wants them marked, and that I better have all 192+ books re-numbered/marked within the next hour, and that she would be back to make sure I completed this task correctly. It took me about two and a half hours (all recess, and 80% of my lunch) to finish re-numbering all of the books needed for inspection, and she never came back to check. I stopped by the office on my way to lunch to apologize for the misunderstanding, and she happened to be sitting in the attendance chair. She called out to me in front of the office and asked if I had done what she asked me to do, to which I assured her I had. She then said she "didn't feel like walking all the way back to my room to check," so she asked my GLC to check and make sure I had done exactly what she asked. He never came to check, and told me he trusted me.
    The following day, I had a chance to speak with my Principal about what happened, and was left feeling worse than I had when I walked in. I apologized repeatedly for the mess, acknowledged that I understood how important the visit is, and then told her my A.P.'s approach made me feel uncomfortable, and that it seemed off. She semi-muttered under her breath that she would have approached me privately, but did not waiver in her support for the V.P.. She then told me it was brought to her attention that I had not been doing my daily attendance (an email I received from my A.P. hours after the textbook incident), to which I specified my digital attendance was done on time, but that my absence verification folder had been late (embarassingly) just about every day this week. The A.P. says it needs to be in NLT 8:15am, but the Principal and attendance clerk say it needs to be in by 8:30am. I forgot to send it in the day I had to number my books within the hour, and was late the day I had library (which I have from 8am-8:50am). I try very hard to be on time for this, and told her I was embarassed to hear I am the only one not turning it in on time-- which I know for a fact is not true. Overall, I felt no support from her, and she focused more on the attendance folder than my initial concern of being treated unprofessionally, and being reprimanded in front of my students-- lest we forget the threatening part as well.
    On the whole, I am frustrated by this, and am concerned this could impact my evaluation this year, which would determine if I stay in this district, and if I will be tenured. I don't intend to stay in this district forever, but would certainly prefer not being dismissed so early in my career. I have been working incredibly hard on my instructional approach and curriculum, and will definitely improve with the textbooks and attendance folder-- all of which was relayed to my Principal during our discussion, to which her response was simply, "Ok." I really don't want to file anything on my A.P., but I feel this needs to be documented if she gives me a bad eval this year. Any advice?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2016

What is a Williams visit?

I think that you need to stop apologizing over and over again for the same things and constantly rehashing them. Once a thing has been addressed, let it go.

Do your attendance on time. There are no excuses for constantly turning in your attendance late. Don't let admin ding you on the easy stuff.

What specifically would be the basis of your grievance against the AP? I'm confused.

CaptWho likes this.
  4. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 21, 2016

You are doing as well as you can under the circumstances, unfortunately your A.P. has you under their radar. It is hard to get out from under that.
    Do everything you can to avoid making waves (to the A.P. or the Principal), get your attendance in on time and do everything to 100%. Don't give them any reason to notice you or criticize.
    Hard once you are someone's scapegoat.
    Keep your chin up and don't let them see it is getting to you. Be professional, smile, and if you can't change it, don't let it get you down. Don't focus on it is what I mean.

CaptWho and otterpop like this.
  5. CaptWho

CaptWho Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

The Williams Legislation requires California schools be annually inspected for instructional materials/textbooks and well-managed facilities.

Guess I never saw it that way. Again, I wasn't given a chance to respond to the feedback I had received from my A.P., and didn't want to give her the impression that I didn't care or am "uncoachable."

Agreed. Normally not an issue, and I typically send my student out by 8:15 to get it in well-before 8:30. Still unclear as to why she said it has been late nearly everyday that week, when she said multiple times it needs to be in NLT 8:30. Now I'm planning on having a sign-in and out clipboard to document that it is being sent on time, and that my student is returning in a timely manner.

For me, it's being addressed (angrily) in front of my colleagues at the staff meeting for a mistake from the previous year. Then there's the being scolded in front of my class, and then the "threat" of having all of the books re-numbered within the hour/when she comes back to check. That all reads as inappropriate, unnecessary and unprofessional to me, especially coming from higher up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. CaptWho

CaptWho Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

Thank you, LisaLisa. Just having posted this has helped me to ease up-- still aware, but not worrying about the things that can't be changed.

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 22, 2016

It's not too late to progress towards an acceptable evaluation at the end of the year. Put the past behind you and continue to do your job. Since you're fulfilling your duties and trying to correct your errors (even though the errors are contrived), the nit picking will hopefully calm down.

I do agree that the VP was unprofessional. A lot could have been solved by consulting and coaching with you individually. If you treated a student the way s/he's treating you, you'd be in hot water. Nevertheless, s/he's whom you have to work with. A tip on professional decorum: try to treat the VP as if nothing against you ever happened. In other words, be forgiving, even if s/he doesn't deserve it. Work to get on his/her most improved list (if such a list exists--if not, you'll be the first on it). Concentrate on your main focus, teaching the curriculum to the students. It sounds like you have a lot of spunk; in a few years, you could be that VP!!!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2016

I'm sorry your year started off this way. Seems your VP is letting her perception of last years book issue influence her bad behavior. At this point, put it behind you and proceed professionally. Dot your i's and cross your t's. When in doubt about anything, ask a trusted colleague before going to admin. Good luck to you.

9. teacherL

teacherL Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

I do not agree with the behavior of your AP. Especially not in the presence of your students. If she shows this type of disrespect towards you, the students will assume this is ok for them to do as well. I'm glad your GLC trusts that you do your job. Maybe that is who you can confide in when you have incidents. Also, always keep a paper trail. Email to set up meetings and specify why you would like to speak to your Principal or AP...this is just in case, you never want to be to careful.
    I do however agree with others, just keep yourself under the radar. Be polite, be the bigger person. Always greet your admin and others. Don;t show any signs of fear or resentment. You were hired to do a job, prove them wrong by doing it great!