Verbal Warnings

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LadyBelle85, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LadyBelle85

LadyBelle85 Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

I feel like an idiot asking this question, but I can't find another post about it anywhere on the web. So here it goes.

How do you remember if you already gave a student a verbal warning?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

Write down their name on a clip board

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 23, 2011

It is hard to remember. I need a visual like a warning card or stop card. The card doesn't carry consequences. It is just a visual for me and for them.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 23, 2011

my cooperating teacher wrote their names on the white-board, so she and everyone else knew who was in trouble.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

I don't like writing names where anyone who walks in can see them. At least a card, other people don't know what that means.

7. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 23, 2011

I agree. When I got in trouble in grade school, I was embarrassed to see my name on the board. Other kids might perceive names on a board or cards pulled from a pocket as public ridicule.

When my kids get in trouble, I try my best to remember. If I make a mistake, I let my kids correct me. Only on days when my mind is in the wastebasket do I write names on a clipboard (for my own use).

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 23, 2011

Don't do it publicly.

I carry around a clipboard with all names on it. I quickly put "W" next to their name.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2011

I have such few behavior issues this year that I can remember if I have warned someone (plus, I only have 11 students).

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2011

It's not a silly question at all. It is one of the top two reasons I don't use systems like that for the whole class.

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 23, 2011

I have a clipboard with me where I note the warning and the rule broken. I've done it for so long, it's like second nature. I can note a warning and keep talking about whatever at the same time.

12. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 23, 2011

This is exactly why I hated that she did that, but those were her rules and she didn't want me to change them. So every time a kid got in trouble, we would write their name on the board with a bright red marker.

I know the feeling though, I would get in trouble a lot in school and they did the name on the board system back then too. It sucked pretty bad for everyone to see it...

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2011

If anyone in my school saw that I'd written a kid's name on the board because they were misbehaving, heads would roll. It is not respectful!

14. LadyBelle85

LadyBelle85 Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

So what do you use?

15. LadyBelle85

LadyBelle85 Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

My biggest issue with the clipboard is keeping track of it.

I have a tag system where we move kids names down...maybe moving them towards the next level as a warning and reminder?

I like the card idea, but what if the kid knocks it off or destroys it or something?

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2011

I use the 1-2-3 Magic concept for any individual who really responds to it (ADD, for instance). I can usually, but not always, keep track of what number they are on.

For the whole class, since we made our hopes and dreams chart followed by our agreements so we can make our dreams come true at the beginning of the year, I just say, "Which agreement are you having trouble with right now?" or something like that. The kid usually says, "Oh, yeah" and pipes down.

17. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jun 23, 2011

Here is what my Algebra and Biology teacher did. If a student acts up, their name is put on the board. Act up again, a check mark is put. Get 3 checks you're bye bye with a referral.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

Agreed.;)

Heads wouldn't roll in my school, but such 'visible' and embarrassing methods are not how we 'roll'.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 23, 2011

I agree that student's behavioral status shouldn't be on public display. I had that disagreement with my former principal. She said I must have a behavioral chart on display depicting each kid's conduct grade. I mentioned that from my professional readings, training/experience, and observations that I do not agree with that method.

At this school they also wanted you to make the students get up and go to the chart to move the clips or cards or whatever themselves.

Anybody who took Classroom Management 101 should see the problem with this. I do not know why that school was backwards on everything I learned.

So anyway I put the chart up and the things that I feared would happen, certainly did: The student would make a scene, refuse to get up...or if they got up they would put on a show as they walked to the chart...or if they got up they would irritate other students along the way because they were now embarrassed or angry...or they would just move extra slow. Students would walk in and ask why is such and such on a satisfactory grade because they saw that person misbehaving...

Anyway, I'm sure those charts work well for certain teachers and grade levels. I have used them a lot as a sub per the teacher's request. However, with my own class being 5th grade in one of the roughest schools here, I knew it wouldnt be a good idea.

20. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 23, 2011

I also use a clipboard that has my attendance sheet on it. I have a new sheet for each week. I use a variety of abbreviations on it...

dash = off task behavior
    w = warning
    c = conference with student
    ch= call home
    rr= restroom
    le = left early

I also have this great handout I found where you can mark various positive & negative actions of particularly challenging students. I've used this before & found it helpful when identifying particular behaviors or ones that seem to occur continuously. :D

21. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Jun 23, 2011

Many teachers where I student taught use a card system - green, yellow, blue, and red. Students "flip their card" to yellow at first, which is just a warning. Flipping it to blue means losing 2nd recess, red means visit with the principal/phone call home. Most teachers kept the chart hanging up somewhere, but one had the kids all keep it in a pocket on their desk. Kids can always have their cards flipped back if behavior changes, so it's a good visual for them to know they need to change their behavior.

22. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 24, 2011

I used the chart on the wall for one year. I had seen it as a sub, and it really worked for that teacher. But like you said, I would tell a kid to 'sign in' and they would be very disruptive, every other student stopped learning to watch the student walk to the wall, and a couple of times the students just pretended to initial the chart. There were a couple of times when I would look over the chart and think, "Didn't that kid have to sign in today?" Made me wonder how many times I didn't remember.;)

Anyway, it didn't work for me, but my current system does. I have the rules numbered 1-5, so I just make a note on the calendar of which number rule was broken. I find that even if I don't remember exactly what the infraction was, the student will if I remind him, "You were talking at an inappropriate time. (Rule 3)"

23. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 24, 2011

My principal told us that the first warning is given to them during the first week of school. I kind of agree with that as well. In the past I just keep a notepad and I write it down. However, slowly I would forget what I wrote the student down for and I wouldn't be very consistent.

I really like the card idea, I could probably get some from vistaprint. I think the problem is if the student looses them, I would still have to make sure I write it down.

Overall, I think I like the clipboard idea. Keeping a list of the students names with all the possible reasons on the top, on an excel file would work.

24. LadyBelle85

LadyBelle85 Rookie

Jun 24, 2011

I did that last year, but it felt like I was giving too many warnings, so I am trying to get away from that.

25. LadyBelle85

LadyBelle85 Rookie

Jun 24, 2011

A good teacher friend of mine does this. I have something similar, but i find if I give them the option o going back, I hear about it non-stop and then I give in and they get away with it so to speak.

26. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 25, 2011

"She" should not be working with student teachers. Going public with students has many side effects which far outweigh any possible benefits. As many suggest, if one must keep a record do it privately.