Venting.....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JMatch123, Jul 28, 2017.

1. JMatch123

JMatch123 Rookie

Jul 28, 2017

I know everyone understands this but it's really frustrating not getting any responses after an interview. Last week, I sent out an email to a principal that I interviewed with the previous week. I thanked her or the interviewed and asked if there were any decisions made. Even if it just said "We went with another candidate" at least it was a response. Not getting any responses feels like a slap in my face and that I am not good even for any job. I even asked the principal's friend she hangs out with and she said that she didn't hear anything from her (probably just trying to be nice to me and not wanting to hurt my feelings by saying her friend went with another candidate).
    It's been 16 days since the interview and I am well aware that it most likely went to someone else. This has really hurt me hard for some reason especially since my co-worker just texted me starting he got a new teaching job (he just graduated from college and got two different teaching jobs within the 2 years he graduated....HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN??? I FEEL SO BITTER). We apply and hope for interviews for years and doors just aren't opening. I know I should keep trying....but when is enough enough?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 28, 2017

Unfortunately in this industry not hearing back is the norm, so you have to kinda just accept it. It sucks I know but there's nothing you can do about it. Sometimes why other people get hired over you has nothing to do with you yourself but another candidate had whatever they were looking for.

4 years ago I spent 1 1/2 years interviewing for teaching positions. I got just as many rejection emails as clear rejections from not hearing back. One school called me about 4 months later right before school started and offered me a job, and by then it was too late as I has finally accepted a position. It's true that they don't outright reject you just in case something else pops up, but that's not really the norm.

Not sure what state you are in or what certs you have but maybe consider relocating to an area that has a teacher shortage in your cert area. For some people it's the only way to break into the teaching market. Where I am there are a small percentage of schools that will only hire new teachers, but most schools will only look at people with experience at least early in the hiring season, which is still now as school starts after Labor Day.

4. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 28, 2017

I have found the hiring process for teachers to be ridiculously unprofessional. I found out from two different friends I didn't get jobs when they were offered the position. I didn't take it too hard just interesting that they are so unprofessional. Male teachers are rare where I am and usually get hired first.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 28, 2017

I agree. It is very disheartening, but it is the norm. I have rarely received a call letting me know they hired someone else. Once in a while it happens, and I am always impressed by it because it's so rare. It's sad that in a profession that is supposed to model manners and positive social behaviors, this has become standard practice.

teacherintexas and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2017

This is too true! If it's hard for people who work for these Ps to get a response, people they don't want don't have a chance!

I stopped emailing also. It's frustrating.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 30, 2017

I've had several principals who could not be bothered to respond to emails. I like the idea of speaking to the secretary. They seem to know what is going on and can direct you.

Trying to get a job is a job in itself. It can be a long process, so I would not get too bent out of shape because of a principal. They are usually extremely busy and have a lot on their minds.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 30, 2017

Sorry you're going through this.

As others have said, it is very unprofessional. However, it happens much too often. I interviewed for a different position at my current location last year. I'd heard through the grapevine that the position was already hired before the interview. I never received any notice that I wasn't hired. No phone call, discussion, or letter. Usually I would say be glad because you wouldn't want to work for such an unprofessional organization anyway. I continued in my old job but working there was very difficult for much of the year because I had been treated unprofessionally.

11. johnab

johnab Rookie

Aug 2, 2017

Dude, I had a final interview for a different position last week and was told I'd be called either way in 24 hours. I never got call. I reached out by email. Still never got a response. It happens. Don't take it personally. I've also gotten the "You're awesome, but we hired the other guy" emails. They suck too. Just put it out of mind and move onto the next one. It could be the one you get.

12. alvajen

alvajen Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

As a fellow job seeker, I feel you on this one. I understand that people are busy, but if I, a candidate, can take the time to research your school and decide I want to apply there, target a resume and cover letter for the position for which I am applying, and take time out of my schedule to interview with you at my own financial expense, then you can take the time to write me a three-sentence email that says you picked someone else. Yes, you do have time. I've had schools where I was only one of three candidates interviewed not contact me to say no. It's rude, and just because everyone does it doesn't make it okay.

Rainbowbird likes this.