VENTING: Will I Never Be able to Teach?!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AngelEyes, Oct 21, 2006.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

Oh my gosh!!! :mad:
    Ok, I graduated in May with a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education K-6 and a specialization in Middle School English 5-9. I scored high on the required Praxis and PLT's. I filed my certification papers on July 27th with my college.

On August 28 (a month later), after checking with the State Board of Education and finding out that they hadn't even received my application yet, I went to my college and found that my application was still lying on the secretary's desk--she was just about to mail it...

Well, a week later I received a letter from the Dept of Ed saying that they had received my application but had not received my test scores (which I had included in my paperwork at the college). Afraid there would be another delay if I depended on the college to send the scores, I made copies of my score reports and mailed them directly to the Dept of Ed myself.

Two weeks later I had not heard from the DOE, so I emailed the person in charge of certification and was informed that they did receive my test scores but my fingerprints had been returned two weeks earlier by the FBI because they were illegible (the prints were taken by my college police department and took over 20 minutes to do), that I should have already received a letter stating such along with a new fingerprint card in the mail by now, AND that the new prints could not be sent electronically the next time...so I requested that they send another card since the first one was obviously lost in the mail.

So, I go and get new fingerprints (this time by the state police), and mail in the new card. I wait a week and then email the certification person again to make sure they received the new prints. She emailed me back and said that the prints had been sent out to the FBI on a certain date and that it usually takes around 10 business days to get the results back...so I wait 14 business days and email her again. She said that the print results had come back the Friday before (October 13) and that she had not been in the office that day so she had approved my application and granted me certification--AND that my teaching certificate would be signed and mailed out the following day.

SO it should have been mailed out this Tuesday. Well, here it is Saturday and STILL NO CERTIFICATE!!!!! :eek: It has literally been 54 days since I filed my paperwork and NO CERTIFICATE--WHICH MEANS NO JOB!!!!!

I am seriously about to lose it!!!!!!!!! Since the DOE is 45 minutes away, I'm half tempted to drive there Monday morning and get a copy of the certificate myself! Ugh!!! Thanks for letting me vent. I'll keep you posted...

3. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 21, 2006

I am sorry that all that has happened to you. Here on average, it can take up to 8 weeks before you get your teaching certificate. I was fortunatate because during my student teaching experience, my college required all paper work be completed ( fingerprints, applications, etc.) before you stepped into the classroom. Hopefully, you will have your certificate shortly.

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

Thank you R3B...We couldn't turn in our paperwork until after we received our Praxis and PLT scores and I couldn't take my last PLT until June because I had a broken arm (I actually took the Praxis left-handed)...so I could have turned in my paperwork in late May had I been able to take the PLT's earlier...I guess 10 weeks isn't too awful long, on the average then, huh? It just seems worse, I guess, because it has taken me so long to graduate and I've waited to teach for what seems like sooooo long already. I appreciate your kind words and I'm sure in a few months I'll have a whole other group of issues to vent about...LOL

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 21, 2006

It took about that long to get ours as well. We were given temporary ones though to put with our applications and resumes.

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 22, 2006

Wow! Why does it take so long to get your certification in the mail there? I got mine in less than a month and my diploma from my university (which I've heard can take forever at other schools) in less than 2 months. However, around here, many schools will go ahead and hire you if they can verify that you have graduated and approved for licensure.

7. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Oct 22, 2006

I finished graduate school the year the program changed. My certificate was held up--- for 6 months. The DOE said I hadn't proof of "exam completion"- I tried to tell them that exams were no longer required (for graduate school, I had taken GREs and PRAXIS, but the graduation exams were no longer offered). It took 6 months to clear it up.. in the meantime I went looking for work elsewhere.. eventually it got straightened out, and I got a teaching job..

This is a learning experience though. Find out the EARLIEST you can submit paperwork for your renewal (every 5 years here) and postmark the renewal paperwork on THAT day.. You do not want red tape to cause the certificate to expire. Reinstatement is much harder than renewal I have heard.

8. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

Well, I emailed the DOE this morning and haven't heard back yet (which tells me that the the lady in charge must be out of the office today because she always emails me right back). So I went to the county board office and they looked online and saw that I had been approved for teacher certification--they made a copy of the online information and finally put my sub packet in the 'to be put on the board meeting agenda' stack. HOWEVER, since I applied they have changed their policies regarding subs...before all you had to do was apply and turn in all your stuff. NOW you have to apply, turn in all your stuff, turn in a bid sheet, AND have an interview. Just great. Oh well, I may have a job someday...You know, if it was the norm here, it wouldn't bother me, but I had to do EVERYTHING twice!!!! Ugh! All I can do is keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason...still waiting in the mean time...

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I got my license today!!!!! Woot! Woot! Yippee!!!!! Yeehaw!!! Thanks to everyone for your good wishes and for allowing me to vent...I'm so excited!!!!!!!

10. Reward

Reward New Member

Nov 11, 2006

Angel Eyes what did you study to prepare you for the test?
    I take it 11-18-06 and need to pass it in order to intern in the SPring2007 Help!!!!!!!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 11, 2006

I am applying to the Master's program and I'm scared to death of the PRAXIS. Gulp.

12. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

Ok, I can't remember which test is which at this point. I had to take the Praxis and two PLT's. I didn't really study a whole lot for any of them, though. I got on their website and did the practice tests. I realized right away that there were a few things I wanted to brush up (like stages and theorists, etc.) but I really didn't study much at all. The first one I took was all multiple choice questions...I took it left-handed and scored really well. The best advice I can give you is to read the questions and answer choices carefully. Don't let a word you don't know the meaning of throw you off...just use common sense and look for the most practical answer or approach. Think through the questions until you are able to tell EXACTLY what they are asking. I didn't find it too difficult, really. Now the test(s) that required written responses were a different story...For this kind of test, my BEST advice would be to list your answers in outline form...I tried to write everything into a neat little composition and nearly ran out of time! The instructions tell you that they won't be checking grammar or composition, but rather looking for specific answers that show you know your stuff, so to speak. Which test(s) do you guys have to take??

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

Congrats on finally getting your license :D

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

Thank you, thank you, thank you :rolleyes: My name is on the board meeting agenda for this Tuesday night :D Apparently, the next day, the secretary will send me a letter explaining how to get a PIN number and get into the sub system, get a picture ID made, etc. then I'm good to go!!! I cannot wait!!!

15. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

This is not normal. There's no way it should take this long. You need to have a serious talk with your college's school of education.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2006

Congratulations!!