Venting on the job search(sorry)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by footballfan1989, Aug 13, 2015.

1. footballfan1989

footballfan1989 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

Six interviews this summer and nothing. Three of them never even gave me "we decided to go with another candidate. I have many years of classroom experience , great references, a solid portfolio. I swear I go out feeling great and then silence followed by a rejection email. Lots of smiling and nodding during interviews. I even had one call one of my references 10 minutes after my interview. I know that this is hyperbole but sometimes I feel that teaching jobs may be some of the hardest professional jobs to get. You are limited to the amount of places you can work and the majority of hiring is limited to 4 months out of the year. I wish you could at least find out where they ranked you so you could get an idea is it worth it to apply again or were you so bad that it isn't worth it.

3. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 13, 2015

I understand. I think the hardest part about getting a teaching job is actually getting in the district itself.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2015

I know this doesn't help you get a job, but I see you are new here so make yourself feel a bit better by reading about my 50ish interview year (counting first, second, third, and even some fourth interviews)- that resulted in a terrible job and a maternity leave :/ This was with six years of experience with glowing references and letters.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=172528&highlight=updating

Spoiler- two years later, I still don't have a permanent job. I did land a mid-year job in January 2014, but it came with a 90 mile commute (one way). I received a job closer to home for last year, but it ended with me resigning in April after a broken wrist, multiple death threats, a weapon brought into my classroom, sexual harassment, and a plethora of other issues.

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 13, 2015

"I wish you could at least find out where they ranked you so you could get an idea is it worth it to apply again or were you so bad that it isn't worth it."

Yes, it would be nice to see how we are ranked after an interview! I have only been on a few job interviews and none of them have ever called or emailed to tell me anything either way about the job.

6. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

job searching is awful. I have been looking since Winter 2014. I just posted regarding my almost job offer…the lack of communication and openness is what is most frustrating. Its been a terrible, emotional roller coaster for me; so know that you are not alone.

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 13, 2015

I'm in your shoes. I had my 13th interview today and I won't hear back. It was a so so interview, they didn't appear interested and I think they want someone bilingual to the school culture. I have my 14th interview tomorrow and it's likewise, same school culture.

I had an interview on Tuesday that looked really good (I'm in the district already as a sub despite me living over 2 hours away, and the head of the counseling department of that district highly recommended me). The woman in HR said 2x "I will certainly call you tomorrow". You think she called?! I was waiting by my phone all day yesterday and today. Today I called her and left a voicemail as well as an email asking about my status.

I figure if by the end of September (because I know sometimes people leave early in the school year due to whatever reason it not working out), I get nothing, just to apply for any bs job to have cash coming in and to try to volunteer somewhere so I can still use my "skills" to make it look like I was a counselor on my resume. I suggest you do the same. Find anything whether related to education or not, do some volunteer work so you can still look like you are in education, and move on until interviews are done again. It does stink that in this field that if by the start of the school year you have no job, that the odds are you won't until next year in a full time certified position.

8. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

Keep Applying!!! Positions may open mid year (LTS), its very difficult to get into a school district..most go internal then for outside candidates-

For one position, i'd estimate there are between 500-1500 applicants..so it is extremely competitive

9. footballfan1989

footballfan1989 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

That is the part that kills me. If you say you are going to let me know then please keep your word. If then I email you and leave you a voicemail then have the courtesy to just say we went another way.:banghead:

10. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 13, 2015

These people know you are at their mercy so they can toy with us all they want!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I did hear back and got a "I'm still reviewing your application and will let you know if there's a fit." WTF?! When I met with HR I was basically under the impression that I will be notified as soon as they find the best match!

I'm waiting for another call tomorrow from a district I also met with on Tuesday. They said they would let me know by the end of the week. I seriously doubt I will hear anything by tomorrow. It will most likely be the beginning of next week if they even offer me anything.

11. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Ugh, I feel your pain. Job searching is demoralizing.

I'm starting my 2nd year teaching at a private school, but before I landed that position, I constantly interviewed for jobs that often ended with the interviewers failing to contact me back. I'm STILL waiting on replies from interviews that took place in 2012. ;) Meanwhile I had to sub and fill maternity leave positions for about a year and a half before getting my current job.

Anyway, I completely understand your frustration. Feel free to vent all you want here! It's why these forums exist: so we can support each other. :)

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2015

Some people send out hundreds of resumes and go on dozens of interviews before getting a job. You just really have to keep trying and tweaking your interview skills.

13. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

What you just said is something I need to constantly remind myself. My mother (retired teacher) keeps saying what you said to me as well. I may have to go on 30 interviews until I get 1 offer. Today will have been my 14th interview since June for counseling jobs in CA (I know that's a lot of interviews in a short amount of time, so I am lucky that I have gotten that many).

When I read tips on this forum about how I got so many interviews in a short amount of time, the usual response is it's how I'm interviewing or my references. I've done mock interviews, paid to have my resume and cover letter looked at by 2 agencies and even have a background in counseling with an emphasis on career counseling lmao. I truly do often think in competitive fields there are factors of why people didn't get a job despite interviewing well and having good references (people already within the district, friends of a friend, someone who "looks" the part they want, and honestly just people with more experience).

It just gets tough when the school year is about to start because by that point, your morale gets low until the following school year. You get to a point where you just cannot sub, TA, or tutor anymore.

14. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 14, 2015

We all know how you feel! I know this won't make you feel better but in the last 5 years, I think I only had 8 interviews. That's all. I hope something works out for you and for the rest of us. The thing that makes me mad is when I sub, I'll see teachers who just sit there and not teach or complain how much they hate their jobs. There are so many people ready to take over their jobs. Best wishes, pal.