Venting - my nerves are going haywire.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jerseygirlteach, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 17, 2011

I was offered and accepted a position in a great district. However, this meant backing out of a position I already had accepted which left some really bad feelings. The school that I chose has already given me the curriculum, my schedule, and shown me my classroom (which is still filled with the previous teacher's [who's moving to a different grade level] stuff). The thing is, I don't have a contract yet. The board won't meet to approve me until the end of the month. I'm supposed to start a week later.

Am I being paranoid that I'm panicking over this? I've already gone out and started shopping for my new class. But most importantly, I turned down another position that I had previously accepted and left some bad feelings. BTW - please don't judge me for this. I feel terrible about it but I felt like this district's schedule and proximity to my house was a much better situation for my own kids.

I feel like I won't be able to relax until I have a signed contract.

3. philateach

philateach Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Did you sign any type of offer letter yet?
    Will you have to report for orientation or staff development?

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 17, 2011

I'm supposed to pick up a letter of intent in the morning. They mentioned teacher training next week but I don't have an official schedule about it. Supposedly, the info is forthcoming. I know I'm not going to be able to relax until I have something in my hands that says I'm hired.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

I can understand your worry, but if they have brought you in and given you materials, then you probably have no reason to worry. Have you gotten a key to your classroom yet?

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 17, 2011

Nope, no key yet. :(

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

Don't worry. I know all schools are different, but I didn't even sign my contract last year until the 2nd week of school! This year I got it a few days ago. Every school is different. Think positive thoughts!

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2011

I did the exact same thing last year- like MissJill said, I didn't even sign a contract until the 2nd week of school. No one was really giving me any information about the job, and I was constantly worrying that something was going to go wrong.

9. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 17, 2011

Take a deep breath. A coworker of mine hasn't been approved by the board yet and hasn't signed a contract, yet she has her room prepared, and has attended all our staff developments. HR tells her shes a "contingent hire" and once there's a board meeting everything will get settled. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. :)

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

I would not worry about it. I would start to work on your classroom a little at a time if the P is up for you doing that. Our teachers did not sign their contracts until after new teacher orientation.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 18, 2011

Thanks everyone. Well, still no letter of intent. That's the second time they promised it and then something came up. Supposedly the superintendent is "working on it." But I got my schedule for teacher training/orientation, dropped by the school and got a private tour by the principal and was told I could come in and start setting up whenever I want. So, I guess I can relax, right? Like that'll ever happen. ;)

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

My last district never gave out contracts for the current year until April!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you're pretty safe. :)

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2011

I'm sure you're fine. But be in that classroom setting up as soon as you possibly can and make sure you stay in contact with whom ever you have to to get the contract signed or the letter of intent signed. (I really do think you're safe though :) )

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 19, 2011

Thanks everyone. I went in and signed my letter of intent this morning. I still have to be approved by the board but I believe it would be extremely unlikely for them to reject a candidate recommended by the superintendent so I'm not too worried about that. Oh and the letter of intent listed my salary as higher than what I was told when I was offered the position (when does that ever happen?!) So, I'm in a happy place right now. :D

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

Yay! That's awesome. So excited for you. Hope you can relax and enjoy setting up the room now!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

Jerseygirl~that is GREAT!!

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 19, 2011

Hooray! Now go have fun getting ready..