Venting just a little bit

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Tek, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

Nov 29, 2012

This is my 1st year at private school, and I know kids will be kids anywhere, but I figured my 1st year would have significantly less behavioral issues than in a public school setting.

Well God definitely has a sense of humor. For my first year I am already dealing with:

1. One kid is going through the public school battery of tests for special ed. services process (it's clear he has a learning disability. He was held back for kindergarten and it goes beyond a speech issue). I'm waiting on the results

2. Got two other kids whose parents and I are working together to get them tested for ADHD.

3. Got another kid that is just a constant problem. He needs strong discipline.

So these 4 kids, 3 of which are the child of a school employee (thus, the major discount and 99% the reason why they're there to begin with), are just making my 1st year that much more difficult. Every lesson I teach, one of them will talk out without raising their hand despite many warnings and many talks. I think I need to put the hammer down more on these kids. They think they can talk just by raising their hands (without being called on).

It's just so frustrating... because it's clear my 15 other kids want to learn, but I'm constantly redirecting these students and they also create a domino effect. I know no class roster is perfect, but yeah.. just venting here.

I really do want to "break the trend" and help these kids succeed, though. I've already had their K teachers tell me "Good luck with that one..." and the 2nd-3rd grade teachers are already telling me (half jokingly I'm sure...) "____? Yeah, I don't want him/her anywhere near my planet."

I feel bad, and want to be the change agent for these kids.

It's good that they're getting tested so we can better figure out what potential issues there are.

Please pray for me and these kids! I'm hoping somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd trimester that it just "clicks" for them. Any sign of growth would be a huge plus, even if it is just behaviorally.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 30, 2012

I taught in private schools for 11 years. As the years went by, a larger and larger percentage of students were those who had special needs, partly because they benefited from our smaller environment and individual attention. 4 out of 19 or so is not a very high percentage compared to what we experienced. The unfortunate thing is that our school, like many small private schools, lacked the special ed experience, guidance, support, and resources that would have helped our students. I remember my last class. Out of about 14 students, 1 was gifted and had skipped a year but had neurological problems, a pair of twins had IQs of about 70, 1 had ADHD and sensory integration problems (possibly spectrum, too), 1 was on the autism spectrum, 1 was from another country, didn't speak much English and I'm not certain he had completed the prior year in his home country, 1 had been retained a year and was ESL, 1 had ADHD and had been retained. We had no school nurse, no guidance counselor, no ESE personnel, and no help for differentiation or accommodations.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect that it will just "click" for too many of the kids......

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 30, 2012

Just hang in there. I'm sure things will get better. Sometimes kids just need to get used to being in school.

If these kids constantly interrupt, maybe you can start taking a tally on it for them. Set a goal with them and try to do less tallies every day. Make it your policy that you will never talk over these students. Just stand without moving until the sound stops. You could also watch the clock while they are blurting out and have them practice not blurting out for that much time of recess.

If you are consistent, things will get better!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2012

Doesn't sound bad at all to be honest...but I totally understand the need to vent! We all have different experiences and expectations. Wishing you a good rest of the year. :)

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 30, 2012

I read your post and thought of a management tool I'd read about from Rick Morris that's designed to help teach self-control and get kids to stop blurting out. The link explains it all. :)

http://www.newmanagement.com/tips/red_hands.html

I've never personally used it, but it's cute and would work well in 1st.

7. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Jan 9, 2013

I also work at a private school and thought there might be less behavior problems etc. but..... i have found that a lot of the students that end up coming here didn't do well in public schools that is why they are at my school......

I also have a particularly rowdy class with a lot of boys lol

8. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Jan 9, 2013

wow this looks really cool. I might try and do this with my class!