Venting: Collab Teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Oct 13, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Just venting...

I have a collaborative teacher working with me for a couple periods each day. Nice lady. However, today was not the first day that while I'm teaching she goes back to "MY" desk and gets on "MY" computer with MY e-mail and other documents up...after all, even the students know to never go into my desk area unless invited...to read the news and check her bank account (I looked at the history after school...and I don't feel bad one bit for doing it). My desk is turned so that students could never see my computer screen unless directly behind the desk, which very rarely happens as they sit to the side when I call them up to discuss things. I say this to explain why I don't just keep everything closed...it's safe the way it is and it is time-efficient. Well, safe from everyone except this teacher. Today while the students were working independently, I told her I was going to the room next door to make a copy of something for a student. When I come back in she's at my desk on the computer. She could have easily read my email even though I was gone for probably a minute to a minute and half, and that really bothers me.

I know I'm very private, but I don't get it...I would never consider just getting on another teacher's computer, especially for personal reasons. Here's an idea: work.

Screensaver password goes back on tomorrow. I had taken it off because we were doing something that would leave the screen inactive for a long period of time and simply forgot to put it back in place.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

I guess you have solved your problem. What do you plan on telling her when she asks for the password?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Yes, the problem will be solved tomorrow morning. Like I said, I just had to vent. I don't think she'll ask, but if she does I'll show her how busy I am in a "oh, I'm so busy...I can't pull myself away from these students for one second" kind of way.

And by the way, she has a computer she could use. In fact, she usually checks her email (during class) using this computer I speak of each day. So I don't understand the appeal in using mine.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 13, 2009

If she didn't have another computer to use, then I would think that you would need to share but since she has one already, there is no point in that. If this computer is not in the classroom, that is a different story. Yours would be more accessible. It depends on the set up.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Let's just pretend there wasn't another computer in the room for her to use (although there is, and she has her own office), sharing would be fine...but that doesn't mean she can just get online and check her banking account and the lastest CNN news while she should be working. Also, I would need to LOG-OFF so she could LOG-IN. I am not allowing anyone to get on the Internet under my user name. Call me crazy...

ETA: Now that The Biggest Loser is over I can elaborate. If my computer were the only computer, although again it's not, I would have her log me out and log herself in because our school uses a program allowing administrators and the technology department to view what we are viewing on our computer at any time. I will not allow my principal to check and see that the collaborative teacher is not doing her job and instead checking her bank account during class and have him think it was me doing that. I thought perhaps I sounded like a meanie so I wanted to explain. :)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2009

I would explain to her that some of the things you have saved on your desktop and in email are confidential and it makes you uncomfortable to have her using your log in. Invite her to use one of the other computers in the room. Even better- can you create a 'space' for her in the room? Maybe bring in a small desk or work table on which she can put a laptop, store her 'stuff', work with kids....

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2009

set up a user account for her on the computer then password your own account

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Yes, I should simply do that...just be honest. Imagine that. :)

I did, though, create a desk area for her from day one. I will say this, and I'm just being truthful here: It's somewhat a strange collaborative situation--it's a teacher from another school who comes to our school and my room for two classes and then goes back to the other school--so she doesn't have a case load, doesn't have to create modifications...so you know what I think? Maybe I'm most aggravated that while she should be working with the students as I am, she's doing personal business. And again, this is on a regular basis. So, sure, I don't like her on my computer with my confidential information, but it's probably more so, for example, that when I let her know I'm leaving the room for less than two minutes today, she does what? Goes and sits down and gets online. You would think it would be the opposite. Oh well...this teacher was sent to us because she's not thought of very highly professionally speaking. They're not necessarily trying to push her to quit, but I don't think they want to make things too pleasant for her.

And Dave, at our school we all have a log-in and that is what we are to use. Any teacher can use any computer, but you just need to use it under your account. I know what you are referring to because we did that at home growing up, but these requirements are really bigger than I am. :)

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2009

Hmmm can you log off before she comes in? So she has to log on with her own account?

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Here's the thing, and I know I'm coming off as very mean but I hope you can trust I'm being fair, but she does not need to be on the computer at all. She is not responsible for any paperwork, any grades, she doesn't need to modify assignments as those are already done for her. So if she is just dying to check on the latest reports regarding the healthcare reform and whatever else she is so interested in, she can either do it on the computer at her desk area or wait until she's on lunch in her office or at home...like I do. It's not a matter of sharing...if she needed my computer for work-related purposes, log-in and work away! I'm well aware it's not "my" computer, which is why I put the word in quotation marks originally...and even if it was, for school tasks? Again, work away. But she's coming in the room for less than two hours and letting the special education students' needs go partially unmet because she's surfing the Internet while I'm struggling to work with everyone.

Okay, the more I discuss this the more I realize there are some major issues with our collaboration that need to be resolved. I know it is odd being that she has never worked at our school and only comes for two hours and has no caseload responsibility, and we have no opportunity to plan or discuss class events together, but she could at least help the special education students on their open response test the other day...

I was told to not expect much in not so many words from the SPECIAL EDUCATION DIRECTOR, but I didn't realize it would be this. Nice lady, but not too motivated. Okay, I'm kind of thinking aloud at this point. Sorry. :)

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2009

The amount of collaboration may be out of your control but I would make sure she was never on the computer without logging in as herself.
    Keep a log of what she is doing to CYA.
    What are the chances of an administrator dropping in?
    Can you adjust your teaching so the students need her help, have her do an in-class "pull out" program where she works one on one with students in a corner of the room?

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 14, 2009

Yep, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. You are realizing it isn't sharing your computer that is the problem but the lack of work ethic on the other teacher's part. The truth is if you are assigned to her as a glorified babysitter, it may not change. I'm not sure what to suggest at this point. I don't think I could take it lying down but at the same time, I'm sure people have butted heads with her on this before.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2009

I think you are going to have to force her hand to make her do her job. Make your computer completely inaccessible to her and always have tasks that you can tell her to do. The minute you see her unoccupied tell her to please help so and so with so and so. It sounds like you are not recieving the support you need from her administration so it will be up to you to keep her busy. Like others have said, document everything she does that is non-job related. If they are trying to make a case for her removal, they will need that documentation eventually. And you certainly need that help, as little as it is!

15. reverie

reverie Companion

Oct 14, 2009

If the admin checks your internet history on your account, it will make you look bad, won't it? Maybe that's why she uses your account.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2009

What exactly is she suppose to be doing in your class? Do you plan together? If you do plan, plan for what she is to be doing when you are teaching. Maybe she could be marking work or pulling students who need extra help or sitting near a student who is having trouble focusing.

17. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

You could tell her that in your school you aren't supposed to use the computer for non school related things unless on your break. Maybe at her school she is allowed to do that. I know at my school there are some teachers on their computer all day, looking at websites. Obviously not a good thing but they get away with it.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 14, 2009

Yes, make your computer inaccessible to her. At my school, we can lock the computer without having to close everything we are working on - nobody else can unlock it except me. Then if she asks you to unlock or what your password is, just be up front and tell her that she is needed to help with the students. Period.

If she is on her own computer all the time, you will either have to tell her, as mentioned, that at your school the teachers aren't allowed to do personal stuff except on break and you need her working with students, or, go to admin. and ask them to start dropping by to observe her because she is not working, but getting paid to be on the computer.

Good luck. I'm glad you got to the root of the problem. It irritates me also when teachers are on computer rather than working with kids. I mean, there are times when kids are totally occupied, safe, engaged, and learning, say daily reading time, and I will check a website or go look up something FOR THEM or print something, because I have that one spare minute. But not to be on there all the time with kids in the room.

19. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Oct 15, 2009

JustMe,
    I soooo feel for you. Last year I had the same thing happen where the special ed assistant would go behind my desk and get on my computer whenever she felt like it. There was one time where I was working on creating sub plans and she closed the document without saving it. My students even thought there was an issue with it. I didn't say anything to them, they could just tell by the look on my face. I am also one of those people that occasionally has organized chaos going on on my desk, and she would just start moving stuff around putting it wherever she felt like. Needless to say, she is no longer in my classroom.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2009

Thanks for all the advice. Here is one of my problems that I know I need to get over: it just feels wrong telling her some of the things I need to tell her because I'm 27 and she is technically old enough to be my mother. It feels disrepectful, yet I know SHE is the one being direspectful to me and most importantly our students.

Yesterday someone from the district was in the room to observe a special education student, and even then she didn't get up from the computer. Someone she should have been working with, but nope. She was shopping for a phone/BlueTooth pieces. And today she was on CRAIG'S LIST! I made my computer unavailable to her so she used the one in her desk area, but still!

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2009

I may have missed it in the thread somewhere, but, do you have tenure? If so, I would keep on documenting and then start going up the chain of command until you find someone who will do something about it.
    You also need to sit down and have a heart to heart with her. Tell her exactly what you told us... that you are needing her to do her job and work with the children. Don't worry about hurting her feelings and don't think of her as an older person. She is just another teacher...a lazy one.
    And, can you stick a heavy bookcase or something against the outlet she uses for her computer? :whistle: