Venting and questions

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Love2shop, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

Hi I was just wondering if there were any other preschool disabled teachers that have a wide range of functioning level within the class. If so how do you plan your day???????
    I have a class of 11 and they range from very low functioning to very high. I have been trying to figure out how to balance my day. Last year my class was a nice mix and pretty much on the same level, this year is another story. I have disabilities ranging from language delay to autism..........
    I do have 3 aides but 4 of my kids require 1:1 supervision for pretty much most of the day for some safety and such a low on time on task attention. That leaves 7 others who are not getting attention and time that they need. I can't figure out how to make the day go smoother.
    We do small group centers and I try to pull out kids to get the IEP goals worked on but I am pulled to helping when there is behavior trouble, or toileting(5 not trained). I know a big part of my problem is that the staff was not trained so I am trying to do it as we are working and it hasn't helped. I have no time with my staff alone only when the kids are in, which is another problem in itself.........
    My supervisors got a behaviorist to train.... ha ha she took 2 of us out at a time and only for about 1 hour, and that was it all year. Anyway if anyone who works with this age can just let me know how you run your day I would appreciate it........
    :sorry: I know I was rambling.....

3. biiiidy

biiiidy Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

Sorry, I wish I could help! I feel like I'm in a very similar situation, but with a different age group.

I hope it gets better for you!

4. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

Thanks.... I feel it can only get better right?????

5. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

what develomental level are your lowest?

6. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

My lowest are functioning on an 18 - 20 month level. Then I have a few students that are 4 & 5 years old and pretty much on target... It is a very mixed class....

7. Beeg

Beeg New Member

Nov 13, 2006

Last year I had a preschool sped class simialar to yours. 13 students, some age/level appropriate, some very low, some Autism Spectrum Disorder, some other things (prader-willi, sensory integration issues, etc). I had 1 parapro, and 2 one-on-ones. I divided the class into 2 tables trying to group people strategically based on behavior putting students next to those who would behave well with them. As they arrived I had 15 minutes of "tablework" set out. For the lower students it was simple fine motor work (cutting, pencil grip, colors, etc). For the other students it was level appropriate and reinforced what was going on in the curriculum for them. They would then put their tablework into their cubbies and line up for bathrooming. We would use a visual schedule at this point to review our day as the students were all in line. Then we would determine who was "line leader" for the day using a set of names on a binder ring. Both of these activities turned into major educational events for all the kids. They were soon reading each other's names and also were much better behaved and on track because they knew their plan for the day.

After bathrooming/snack/meal we would come back and do free choice time. Free Choice time had rules that all understood and were constantly enforced and all materials in the classroom had rules about how to use them, how to take them out, how to properly put them away before moving on to other materials. In some areas I posted a picture of how the areal would look when it was properly put away (kitchen for example). I also had multi sensory choices (water, sand, etc) and always a "science" experiment they could choose with a lab coat set up in a special area. Also cutting work, art materials, and imaginary play. Lots of puzzles, matching games, card games, etc too. This went on for about 20-40 minutes with staff directly involved in helping the students make good "free choice" choices. During free choice, if a student needed extra input in one area, I would work with that student. This free choice time was level appropriate for all students because all the materials were multi-level.

After that we would do circle time. There would be lots of different themes and the themes would be multi level in nature. For example: Handwriting Without Tears instruction would be done at circle time. Or Zoophonics. Or a CD on Movement with class participation, or a CD on following directions (pass the beanbag, etc.). Or we would do an academic activity that would be multi level (for "b" we would say the sound, practice the sound, then look at pictures that start with "b" then glue pictures onto construction paper-- as a follow up the next morning at table time I would have level appropriate "B" work out for all students ).

Then it was time to clean up, have snack, toilet again, and go home using the same routines already mentioned.

This year I have a severly multiply impaired preschool classroom and conferences are coming up soon. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should structure my 30 minute conferences? Thanks.

8. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

possibly a short picture portfolio of each students day?:)

9. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

Beeg, wow 30 minute conferences.... I am stressing over 15-20 minutes. Anyway I usually have work samples out to discuss with the parents. I always go over how the day runs and answer any questions they may have but then get into what their child is doing in meeting the IEP goals/objectives.

Since I posted there has been some changes in the room. Some of the younger students are now there only half day which really helps with structuring work groups, and higher level activities for the afternoon. :) :D

10. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

oops.... I forgot Thanks Beeg for the run down of your day......

11. SpecialEducator

SpecialEducator Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

My guys are on the same levels as yours, but they are teenagers. We also have several 1:1's in class but I asign each one to a group (with their 1:1). It's hectic and 1:1 aren't solely responsible for that 1 child per say. IEP goals can be worked on in group but it takes planning on your part. Believe me, I'm having a hard time too but groups seems to help a bit. Good luck!