Venting about how the year is going.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2017

True. However, I found, over the years, that if I work with parents and give a bit on the small things, I have an easier time with the big things that inevitably crop up. Just like with our students, it's about building relationships. I agree that the parent was over-the-top going to the principal, but I would still just let it go in the interest of the future relationship.

bella84 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2017

I still find it funny that with the nutty reaction of the parent, the student didn't even bring in the water bottle. The student probably said, "mom,I don't need it. I use the water fountain".

txmomteacher2 and MrsC like this.
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 19, 2017

To clarify, my exact point was that frequent bathroom use would be a terrible reason to ban water bottles. I'm not advocating for denial of water. I don't think the OP is either.

AlwaysAttend and txmomteacher2 like this.
  4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 19, 2017

My fictional child doesn't do tap water because I don't do tap water. Insane numbers of schools in my area that aren't that old tested positive for lead and other contaminants. Many of them had no idea and were located in middle class and wealthy towns.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 20, 2017

Not so fictional, is it? As a science teacher, I won't drink out of our drinking fountains, and the testing is only part of the problem. They are great places to share every germ and virus that gets into the building. Elementary students in 3rd still lack germ ettiquette. :eek:

bella84 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 20, 2017

Our school water is BLEH! It is nasty. IDK what is up with it but I just can't do it. My students and I keep drinks with us. Now some drink it from the fountain and think nothing of it. Me, gag a maggot!

AlwaysAttend and vickilyn like this.
  7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2017

Update on water bottle situation. Out of the clear blue this morning she has a water bottle. I am letting her use it.I am pretty sure it won't last long anyway. To be honest I really think it's because another student has started to bring a water bottle as well and I have allowed him to use it. This particular parent didn't even ask to bring it she just told her kid that using a water fountain would give him germs so when it was time for him to get a drink he announced he had a water bottle and he was going to use it. Instead of making a huge deal out of it I just allowed him. He gets a drink from his bottle that is kept inside his locker and goes about his business.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 21, 2017

Well as for water fountain germs, yeah. We have some that would put their whole mouth on it. NOPE! Not drinking from there. lol

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 21, 2017

I have no fear of germs. Back in my college days when I was working at camp, I was director over a bunch of teenaged boys who were incapable of remembering to bring their own water bottle to the water front (where we worked). So they all just used mine. Funny they had no problem using my water bottle but were terrified to get into my bag by themselves to find sunscreen. It's a bag, teenaged boys.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2017

I really have no fear of germs either. If I am gonna get sick I am gonna get sick. I am pretty healthy person for the most part. I get sick about once a year,usually around December. I get sneezed and coughed on all year round.

Backroads likes this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 21, 2017

I'm not the biggest germaphobe you will ever meet, but water fountains do gross me out. It stays wet, protecting germs, snot and other debris is a medium to grow bacteria and nurture viruses, and it doesn't stay ice cold, but turns into a proper incubating temperature. I can get a whiff of that "soup" and it turns my stomach. Water bottles, for the most part, aren't shared, or aren't shared repeatedly with people who have "different" microbe populations. Not everyone has the same strength immune system, so some will be more affected than others.

I sip a soda or tea all day at work, but I don't share any part of it with anybody else. Not a single teacher will drink out of our school drinking fountain, and admin has suggested that we keep water/drink bottles in our rooms that can be capped, to hold down the risk of cross contamination between staff and students. I was on hall duty when the janitor came to "clean" the fountain - NOT! A dirty rag swished once around doesn't inspire confidence.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know how I would feel about water bottles with elementary students, but around here, they seem to graduate off the milk bottle directly onto the water bottle, taking their water bottles with them almost everywhere. From an infectious disease stand point, I am pretty healthy, too, but from the biology teacher stand point, I can see why so many of my students are sick almost constantly. I teach in a residential situation, and students aren't allowed bottles because of risk management. When I taught in the public high school, water bottles were just a way of life.