Venting about a situation...ugh

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PepperPotts, Nov 21, 2013.

1. PepperPotts

PepperPotts Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

First of all, this is NOT my first post. I made a new name just for this one because I am embarrassed.

I am getting ready to leave my teaching job. I have another job offer lined up. I put in two weeks notice because of this. I am not going to be teaching anymore when I start this next job because I am so spooked. I couldn't wait to get out.

In my class, I had a student who is always good as gold, does with they are supposed to do, etc. (I am being gender neutral on purpose--sorry, I have to be as vague as possible).

The rest of the class is a nightmare and on top of that there's been no admin support at all. The kids have done whatever they want all year and my strategies don't work anymore because the kids know the principal doesn't do anything to help the teachers by this point. In my school kids get away with vandalizing, stealing, disrespecting authority, etc.

So I called this parent and explained to her that she should consider changing her child's special ed setting because her child is a great student and doesn't need to be around the behaviors. I gave a specific example of a behavior that happened recently but did not name names. I told her that I will be leaving soon because of the lack of support and to just please consider her daughter's best interest because her education is suffering being in that environment.

The next day she called the school and talked to one of the admins. They pulled me from class & questioned me about the conversation. She had blown it way out proportion thinking I wanted her child exited completely from special ed and that there was serious danger in our school. Thankfully I was able to clarify and they believed what I said.

All this resulted in people at the district level somehow getting into my VERY locked down Facebook page to try to find things to use against me. Today I was called in again and they had pages of highlighted posts they were trying to twist around on me to make me look bad. I don't know what Facebook had to do with anything in this situation, to be honest. I was given a written letter of reprimand. I have never done anything in my whole career to ever get a reprimand for anything! They even went as far as to force me to delete what was on there. But I believe I didn't have anything inappropriate. I would've gladly given my password had they asked. You know?

My head is spinning, I asked to go home early and here I am. Even though I'm leaving the job soon anyway I don't even want to go back for these last few days. :dizzy:

I was told I could write a rebuttal so I did, and I have about 50 pages of documentation RE: how admin didn't do their jobs this year and led me to the point I was at if I sounded frustrated on FB (which never had teacher names, student names, admin names or parent names mentioned and the things I did say were filtered to a group of less than 10% of my FB friends, none of whom work at my school). I agree that talking about the rest of the class was unprofessional BUT I didn't use any names. I was just thinking how if I was a parent I would want to know if my kid was unable to learn in her or her current environment and I even asked a number of people who are parents (outside of FB, but still friends of mine) whether I should explain to this parent what is going on and all gave a wholehearted yes when I gave more details (but still left out names, etc).

My state does not have unions. So that option is out. But I feel like I'm the one taking the fall for the things admin didn't do early in the year to make sure behaviors didn't get to this point. And that makes me really angry because I only had good intentions. Sorry, I just needed to vent. I really feel embarrassed for how things turned out so I didn't want to post as my "regular" name on here. :unsure:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2013

What a nightmarish situation! I had a similar case where something I said to a parent was twisted out of control, but my administration was incredibly supportive and took my side. I will be honest. If you are getting out, and everyone knows you are getting out and not going back into teaching, contact your administrator and say that it would be best for everyone if you rescinded your two weeks notice and end your tenure tomorrow, if not immediately. This is not worth any more of your mental anguish.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 21, 2013

Ummm...well, I'm glad you got to vent.

I don't really know what to say beyond that. I think we all get frustrated with our jobs, and that frustration can make us do things that are probably not productive or best practices.

If anything, you learned that no matter how private you have your FB settings, anyone with determination can get in.

I hope you find good luck and happiness in your new job!

5. PepperPotts

PepperPotts Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

Today I asked permission to leave, which was granted--thankfully we found a last minute sub. I told the admin I did not want to come back, but they (again, being gender neutral in case somehow they find this too...), encouraged me to finish because I only have tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday (then break) then the following Monday and I'm outta there. I had explained yesterday I was trying to do the right thing and end with correct two weeks notice and all that, which they thought was honorable, plus no matter how awful it's been all year I'm still professional and still want to leave on a good note, etc.

I wrote my rebuttal letter since I've been home and I'm working on scanning in all my documentation so I have copies of all of it for my own records. But I'm going to turn all of it in tomorrow. The one bright spot in this scenario is that my actual principal is out on leave right now--so we have an interim P who is much more competent than the actual P. I felt comfortable addressing my concerns with this interim person about how it's been in this school all year so I know if I give the interim P all these documents he/she will do the right things with them. I can just tell because of how he/she was speaking with me when we had to address these issues.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2013

This is less about a parent 'twisting' words and more about you making misguided decisions out of frustration. Learn from this situation. You may be leaving education, but you'll have to keep your frustration in check when making decisions in anything else you choose to do. Be guided accordingly.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Nov 22, 2013

This was a terribly misguided, unwise, and unprofessional decision.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 22, 2013

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating experience.

I won't judge you, only to say that I applaud you and think you're making a wise choice to leave the profession.

I, too, hope that your next job will be more of a healthy, happy environment.

9. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 22, 2013

Go public.....

This is a story that people need to hear. It's actually not a lot different than my situation was when I submitted my resignation last year via YouTube. The support I received was unbelievable. The video has now received over 500,000 views and the supportive comments are still coming in.

I'm sorry that anyone would have to go through the hell that some of us are expected to endure every day.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
    Steve

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2013

I also suggest going public and spending the rest of your life reminding people that you did and trying to get as many hits as possible.

I mean, that clearly seemed to work when you took it to Facebook so why not double down?

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 22, 2013

Another reminder why I need to close down my facebook.

12. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 22, 2013

Setting the FACEBOOK issue aside...
    I believe that your intention was honorable and would have done the same thing in your position.

Should that one child have been sacrificed to the system when the parent (using more discretion) could have had her/him moved into a more conducive learning environment?

If you hadn't at least tried to help her, it would have probably bothered you for the rest of your life.

Sorry your good intentions backfired on you. No good deed shall go unpunished...

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2013

I hope your next job is much better. I'm sorry about the situation you find yourself in, but you must be careful when you try to do the right thing.

You have to be careful with issues such as this because when speaking to the parent you are working under a different understanding of the system than the parent is using to interpret your words. It is completely possible that the parent doesn't know there are levels of special education placements. The IEP team may have made it seem that what her child has now is special education and that there is no other option. I will tell you that in my experience, IEP teams don't do what the law require and go through all possible placements. They tend to tell the parent the placement the child will be in and done so in a manner that indicates that there is only one option. It is completely possible that when you talked about changing placements that this parent only knows of two placements - special education as it is now or not.

Again, I'm sorry you were burned for trying to do the right thing, but when you try to buck the system you must expect them to push back.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors.