Vent!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by scarlet_begonia, May 12, 2009.

1. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 12, 2009

I don't usually post "vent" threads but I'm so upset today and just can't get this out of my mind. My school lost their contract, so I'm looking for a job.

I decided to ask a couple of parents for a reference letter. There's one parent in particular that I really wanted a letter from. I have worked with his children for 5 years straight: the eldest for 2 years, the middle child for 2 years, and now the baby of the family for 1 year. I have gone ABOVE AND BEYOND for each child and with the family in general. Major issues! He told me he would defintely do it.

The little girl, out of nowhere, says to me today, "My daddy told my auntie that this school doesn't do nothing." Now, to me, there's only one way to take that: since I'm the only teacher his kids have been with for 5 years, I'm pretty much "the school" to him! (they did have different teachers when they were babies.) Maybe there's another way to take it, but I'm so upset.

Never have I done so much that meant so little.

3. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

May 12, 2009

I can see why that would upset you! Of course you have to accept that you don't know the context of the quote. I hope everything works out with the letter!

4. teacherR

teacherR Companion

May 13, 2009

I agree with Beverly, you don't know the context that it was said in. If you have been a good to them I am sure that it does not imply that you have been a poor teacher. Don't stress. Besides, kids say the darndest things! Take it with a grain of salt.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 13, 2009

i agree that you have to take it with a grain of salt. the little girl could have overheard the parents talking and the dad could have said something like "there's nothing the school can do"-- it could easily be interpereted by a young child as "the school don't do nothing"

6. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

May 13, 2009

He could have been talking about the administration also and not you!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

I was thinking the same thing. :)

8. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 14, 2009

Thanks guys. A few days helped me feel a little better.

9. KDP

KDP New Member

May 26, 2009

My husband took the kids to Titlow park near our home, and the next day my daughter told her teacher that "Daddy took me to the titty store last night." You just don't know what was actually said!

10. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 27, 2009

lol that's a funny story!

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 27, 2009

LOL oh my!!

My son excitedly told his first grade teacher he went to a "wocking ho house" when he meant a "rocking horror house" (which was just a neighborhood house that was majorly decorated for Halloween....I promise)