Vent!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hpatty55, Sep 2, 2008.

1. hpatty55

hpatty55 Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I work at small catholic school where there is only one teacher for each grade level. I teach first grade......and my sister(she was an accidental blessing:) is in 2nd. Well Ive given my class homework since the 2nd day of school- Saxon Math and Phonics and reading a book each night. The 2nd graders have not had homework yet and this is the 3rd week of school.......My sister said the teacher said they will always do their homework side in school and when they do have homework it will be reading. Also we have Shurley English so the kids learn all the Jingles and Abbreviations in 1st but then she does her own thing for the first half of the year because she thinks it is easier for them.....but they already learned Shurley jingles and abbreviations last year......it is easy for them! I just feel like why am I pushing them for them to just take it easy in 2nd. She is an amazing teacher and does great things with Science and preparing them for 1st communion but its just frustrating when I feel like I get them into good routines of completing homework and learning Shurley for them not to use until they get to 3rd.
    Thanks for letting me vent!!:)

3. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Yeah thats true. What do the parents say? Are they okay with the students getting minimal homework. They probably get used to your routine. Maybe they should request a little more rigor in the next grade level. Possibly print out some ideas for second grade and giv ethem to her nicely of course.. "oh I was looking online about first grade and saw this homework policy from another second grade teacher. What do you think sis?" Or just let it be. But venting is always good to do.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2008

Help me to understand...is your sister a student in second grade or the teacher in second grade?

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

I was wondering the same thing......

6. hpatty55

hpatty55 Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

she is a student.......sorry for the confusion. That is how I know how much homework she gives I was never sure before and I think the principal is under the impression that she is sending home the saxon for homework but everyone loves her she has taught for 30+ years and is very generous to the school so I really dont think anyone will say anything against her

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

I think that homework is essential in 1st grade. If a teacher in another grade level does not think the same then what can I do about. Maybe you can bring it up in a faculty meeting sort of an open discussion. I know that it can be frustrating to work hard to prepare your students then the next grade to let them fall thru the cracks. This has been happening at my school with 1st and 2nd for the past two years. My coworker and I work deligently to prepare our students for 2nd grade then when they it to third grade nothing has been done with them in 2nd grade to get them ready. It is really aggravating, but hang in there and continue to do your part for your students. I think that you can review skills that you know are important with your sister so that she doesn't get left behind.

8. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I understand! We have a similar situation at our school. We send homework every night Mon-Thurs and yet 2nd grade seems to slack off and allow parents to dictate what is allowed.

Hang in there - and maybe invest in a big bottle of bubble bath! :)

9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I work in a private school and I send homework after the first week. I teach first and I feel I need to go over way too many things before I send out homework. But most teachers at our school send it out the first day of school. When I worked at public school the primary school teachers usually waited for back to school night before they sent out any homework so that they could explain it before they passed it out. They were veteran teachers and they wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion. Maybe your sister's teacher is waiting for back to school night before she sends work home?