**VENT**

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by merigold78, Aug 14, 2007.

1. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

Meri-
    I've been there and I feel your pain :hugs: Where about in Ohio are you? I'm near Akron. The market in this area is beyond flooded with teachers. In this area there are Charter schools and Catholic schools that are good options. I finally landed a job in a public school after 5 years in non public schools and 2 years off from teaching. I was beginning to think it would never happen. That was why I stopped teaching a couple years ago. I missed it so much that I came back to it and landed a dream job. Keep your chin up and good luck! :)

2. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 16, 2007

Meri-I know what your going through. I hate the way districts play games in hiring teachers. If you'll recall my posting awhile back, it looked like I was going to get this fifth grade position, I had two great interviews and then I was supposed to meet with superintendent, well after waiting and waiting I finally called them up and they told me it was filled, it was a complete joke. Now, it looks like I'm going to be subbing again, after graduating 3.5 years ago. And yet, one of the teachers who did get hired just graduated last year. I don't think its right and apparently its because the school they graduated from places its soon to be teachers. Its terrible. I can't change where I graduated from and I hate being as someone else mentioned on here the go to sub because it seems like a stigma that you can't escape from. I want my own class. Like someone else mentioned, I need the security and benefits. I'm so fustrated and aggrivated with this whole system and I can completely relate to your situation. Know that I'm thinking of you and hope things turn around for you soon. Good luck to you.

3. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Niseixtenshi,
    I'm on the same boat as you. That's why I decided to take a step back and look at the big picture. I've been out of the credential program for 4 years now and the job market is not as great as it was back then. I've subbed and know what it's like to be the "Go-to sub." Don't get me wrong, I liked subbing, got to know some really good teachers, and thought that I was doing everything all right since I was networking, but I really got no where. I've been told several times by people working as teachers that it's "who you know" to get you the job. I know it sucks! I know very few people, so I'm starting from scratch.

Where in CA do you live? I live in Southern CA and job market does not look good here.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2007

WOW, I just looked at the surrounding districts and there are about 88 certificated job postings right now. My district has about 5 and we're going to be posting a new one soon.
    My children's district has 33 openings and the small districts to the south of us have about 49 openings!!
    A lot of them aren't full time though.
    Too bad you can't move. I know that even though my children's district has 33 openings, my friend didn't even get a call for an interview.

5. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

ChristinaK6:

That is EXACTLY how I feel! I live in the San Gabriel Valley..and you? I've applied all over the place...even San Diego...but only got ONE interview so far.

What a cruddy time to be a fresh-meat teacher! They'll hire the "experienced" one over us any day! :(

6. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I live in Riverside County where a lot of people are moving to since you can get a brand new house (more bang for the buck). Yes, there seems to be a population boom here, lots of pregnant women, and lots and lots of kids.

So, that must mean that there is a need for more teachers to take care of those kids and reduce overcrowding at some schools? We'll it sure doesn't seem like it. I thought that by me moving out here from LA County area that I would have a better chance on finding a job. I still feel like the job prospects out here are just as slim as where you live.

Right now does feel like such a cruddy time for a fresh meat teacher to find a job. I'm qualified to teach, but I don't have that much experience besides subbing, student teaching 4 years ago, and volunteering in my childs' classroom. I know that districts want teachers with experience, but someone has got to give me chance.

You might want to look on Edjoin.org and see if there are any new postings. I know, you probably did that already. On the other hand, don't give up. You worked too hard to get where you're at.

7. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

You too, Christina! One day...our job will find us! *crossing fingers*

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 17, 2007

Christina do NOT underestimating HAVING a child and helping out in her room. That IS experience too! Play it up on the resume. Having a child is WONDERFUL experience. Lots of principals like to know that you know what you are getting into with this line of "work". Good luck!!!!