Vent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ChristyF, Nov 2, 2006.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 2, 2006

Some parents, you know, those that pull their child at the slightest whimper and bring them home....drive me crazy. We are on day 3 of A leaving because he "just don't feel good". He's fine, until mom calls then the face balls up and the tears start. He is playing her like a drum. Then she gets angry at me for not sending more home with him. Excuse me, you child needs to be in school. The doctor says there is nothing wrong with him. According to her he now has food poisoning (though no one else at the school got it) from the lunch Monday. He also had an allergic reaction to some halloween candy he ate (he's been eating candy corn in here for a month and a half, now he has a reaction? And that I aggavated his condition by giving him a peppermint to calm his stomach. *sigh* It's going to be a long long long year.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 2, 2006

That was caused by the parent calling saying he was just "too sick" to come back. According to her I just didn't understand how bad he was sick. (All said in a call to the school secretary.) Then she said that we needed to get all his work and tests that he has missed and send them with his dad who would be by later. The secretary hung up and called down to my room to tell me. By the time she got off the PA dad was there waiting for the homework. I wrote a note explaining that he has 8 tests to make up for me in various subjects as well as 2 math tests and 1 reading. Absolutely no tests are allowed to be taken at home. I went on to explain that per parish policy the only tests that we are required to make-up are those missed on days that the child has a doctor's excuse and to make sure she had an excuse on all those days so that there would be no confusion. I just have a problem wtih parents who baby their kids. They leave me and go to the Jr. High and I have to say that A will be eaten alive down there. She needs to let him grow up.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2006

Absolutely. I often wonder what excuses for their "baby's behaviour" these parents will be offering the judge a few years down the road.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2006

Vent away Christy! It starts from birth I tell ya and it just never gets better. I see it in my preschoolers too. One of my kids came in this morning whining about her shoes saying she couldn't take them off. BULL! The child gets them on and off for me every stinkin day, the same shoes. What does mom do? Takes them off for her! Ok, not as big as your issues, but that is where it starts. Some parents just don't know when to stop babying their children

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Nov 2, 2006

Oh my gosh...I could go on for days about this subject. I see it all the time at my center. I had one parent who was amazed that their child could put her shoes on. Mind you this is a 4 year old child. She has severe behavior issues and needs her teachers to be stern with her. One day I had to cover the classroom for around an hour towards closing. The child took her shoes off and I told her sternly to put them back on. Dad watched from the door as she put them on. He was absolutely amazed. I was absoluely amazed that he thought his 4 year old child couldn't put her shoes on:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!! He said he has to always put them on for her. Boy did she play him!!!

I can't believe some of the things I see...lol:( . Really makes me wonder...who is in charge????

7. Lao Tsu

Lao Tsu Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

Look up your school's attendance policy. Record absences, have a meeting with an administrator, wash your hand free forever. Parents are a students worst enemy. We can't adopt them all.

8. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 3, 2006

See I have justt he opposite, I have kids showing up siocker than a dog because mom and dad won't let them stay at home and I have to take them to the nurse first thing after I get them off the bus with a fever and have the nurse call mom and dad who gripe and complaint here is nothing wrong with them,even though they have 100 temp. Then turn around and send them again the next day saying its allergies and don't send them home again. I played this game with 1 parent for a week, and I sent him home every day because he had 101 temp or more each day, after 4 days the nurse said eh could not come back without a doctors note, turned out he had strep. Yes, I do this with 3 of my 4 students allt he time. Wish mine were babied sometimes.

9. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Nov 3, 2006

You have described one of my kids exactly, but mine is only 4 years old. He has what I like to call a "helicopter mom". She hovers over him all of the time. She has some new ailment everyday. Yesterday he was getting a bad cough - he didn't cough once all day. Today, he just didn't feel good. The minute she was out the door, he stopped crying and started playing. He never complained all day. He cries every morning when she brings him in. She gives me his current ailment, and then she waits out in the hall to make sure he doesn't need to go home. He stops crying the minute she is out the door. She still waits in the hall for about 15 minutes. This happens everyday! I am to the point of just telling her outright that there is nothing wrong with him and he is fine. She wants him to not want to stay with anybody but her. She is going to have to let go one of these days. I can't believe that your child is so old and this still happens. I can understand mine a little more because this is the first time he has ever been away from mom.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2006

Oh...those helicopter moms! UGH!

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 3, 2006

I have those kids too. The parents aren't bad, just the kids.

One of my little girls comes up to me everyday, after lunch, and says (with a sad look in her eyes and a pained look on her face), "I don't feel good." I look at her everyday and say, "You're fine. Go sit down." She does and we are all okay.

A couple of years ago, I had another who did the same thing and I, of course, told her the same thing. One day, she kept telling me that she didn't feel well and later, puked all over the boy sitting next to her. Talk about the "girl" who cried wolf. :(

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2006

My husband would irritate all of you! He does everything for Jeannie, from putting on her shoes and socks to zipping her jacket. He says it takes her too long and he wants to get going. Well, it leaves me with a bunch of crying and whining when I DON'T do these things for her. The girl is 6, for pete's sake.

13. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Nov 4, 2006

I had a "K" student who's mom would always help him clean himself (at home) with diaper wipes after a bowel movement. I didn't know about it until one day the kid was in the bathroom for about 25 mins. When I asked what was wrong, he let me know he had an accident and we should call his mom to bring clothes. We called, but only dad was available. The kid waited in the bathroom until dad came. Dad went in, and I hear a lot of clunking around and discussion. Dad never realized what all mom was having to do to clean this boy after the BMs. He finished, came out and promised us this would be dealt with at home and that the student would clean himself from then on. I got the biggest chuckle off this event, because the student was the biggest and most mature in class. But he also had been pulling a lot of passive aggressive behavior with me. The bathroom occurance kind of called his bluff in front of all of us and he started to shape up afterward.

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2006

Diro, I still help Jeanne and she's 6. What I mean by help is, she cleans herself then I check to see that she's clean. I also want to be sure she uses soap and water, not just a quick rinse off.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2006

The best piece of advice I ever got as a teacher (and parent) is never do for a child that which the child can do for himself/herself. You want children to feel CAPABLE!

Jeannie's learning that 'if mom says no, ask dad' thing. It's obviously working for her. On the other hand, you spend so much time with J, maybe this is your husband's way of nurturing, caring...it's a dad/daughter thing, wanting to protect her, do things for her....

...and the bathroom thing? buy wipes to keep in the bathroom for INDEPENDENT use.

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2006

I understand completely. Believe me, I don't want her to end up like the child in the original post!