VENT!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

So earlier this year I opened myself up to my administration. My super was going to come into my room for my 2nd evaluation of the year and I asked him " My idea of an evaluation is to identify things for me to work on, but I also realize it is something that goes into my personal file that I want to look good. So, should I do a lesson I know I need to improve on or do something I know I'm good at?" My Super encouraged me to do something I could improve on...
    Yes, I got a bad evaluation. He basically told me that my classroom was "out of control" and that my classroom management was not conducive to student learning. Fine. I'm working on it. I don't expect to be a perfect teacher in my first year teaching... in fact I don't expect to be a perfect teacher in my 30th year teaching. HOWEVER, I feel as though I've been labeled as one of the worst teachers in school or something.
    I went to observe the classroom teacher next to me yesterday to see how her classroom environment was different than mine and how she was doing things. Guess what? ITS not very different from my own! I just allowed myself to get some criticism and let my admin really see what my classroom was like!!!!

I seriously regret ever letting my admin in... I thought I was showing some maturity in asking for ways to improve but I feel as though it's labeled me "struggling" when I'm not as struggling as they think I am.

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

I think it's honorable that you decided to try to improve, but I think it was also a really poor decision.

Administration observation isn't like an observation you would get when you're in an ed program. It's their job to make sure they have excellent teachers. If you do something you know might make you look bad, they're going to assume that this is your daily routine. This would make you look like a less-than-excellent teacher.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

Sorry to hear that. :(

I'm a little confused though, was the content of the lesson something that you wanted to improve on? You said that they had a problem with your classroom management. Is that the area you were trying to improve?

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

I agree with you... NOW. I think the problem to begin with is that I went and talked with my administrator before hand about it... He was the one who suggested the challenging lesson... I don't know HOW it happened but I guess I've always looked to my bosses to help me improve and that's really the wrong way of thinking. Man this first year has been learning more how to deal with the politics than the class itself sometimes!

Oh well, my job isn't at stake now. I just have to work that much harder to prove myself.

6. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

That's awesome your job isn't at stake! I'm sure over time they'll see it isn't an every day thing and you'll be just fine.

7. lsho

lsho Rookie

Apr 30, 2010

I feel ya!! I'm a first year too and I didn't realize the politics involved in being a classroom teacher. Board member or admin, I get it. But sometimes I just want to be like "Leave me to my 4 walls and LET ME TEACH!!!!" It is frusterating.

Good luck. That whole situation is a bummer. But hey, lesson learned. Next time you'll know what they are actually looking for when they observe and you can blow their socks off! :thumb:

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 30, 2010

Whenever I have an observation, I just teach whatever I already had planned for the date they give me. One of the benefits I've found in not doing anything "special" is that the kids can just go about their normal routines. I have a lot of special needs students that benefit from structure and predictable routines, but even the others behave better when they know exactly what is expected of them.

I'm glad to hear that your job isn't at stake. Better luck next time!

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

The thing that bothers me the most is that most of the time the comments I get from parents are "you run a tight ship, great job" "my child isn't used to things being so strict" "you're very straight forward with my child, I love it"
    AND my students started out the school year STRUGGLING in math and reading and I now have half the class testing in the gifted range in Math and have increased their MAPS scores by 15-20 points!!!!

I must be doing SOMETHING right!!!!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2010

Regardless of whether you taught a lesson in an area in which you shine or an area in which you wanted feedback, the classroom management issues would have been evident. You need to nail behavior management...you may think your kids are learning, but without classroom management, learning will be impaired.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2010

Sorry, but yes it was a really bad decision that you have surely learned from. If you want suggestions you ask someone you trust and know it will be kept between you two.

And I do have agree - classroom management is a whole other matter from a challenging lesson.

12. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

Yes, exactly. Also, if you are a first year teacher who just received a bad eval, what makes you think your job is not in danger?

13. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

I guess the role of your admin is different from that of mine. I would never purposely schedule a formal admin observation during a lesson I think I might struggle in. Our admin's job is not primarily to coach teachers with specific strategies or practices to improve our teaching. Although they may do a little coaching, my admin's objective during a formal observation is evaluation, therefore I would put my best foot forward. I think your admin mislead you during your pre-observation conversation, and I'm so sorry that happened.

At our school, we have an academic coach, a teacher position, who comes into my classroom to observe areas in which I want to improve - in my case, it is my math instruction. I can be very open with my academic coach as she is with me. Her job is to help me improve my teaching and not to evaluate my teaching. It would be dangerous for me to confuse the roles of my academic coach and my principal. I hope you can get this matter smoothed out - best of luck to you.

14. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

Ouch. I guess I shouldn't be so confident. But in every conversation I've had with my Super since the bad eval, he's talked of what will happen with next year's class. I even observed the 4th grade teacher so that I could see how she deals with the class I will have next year.
    I know classroom management is key! I'm working REALLY hard on it. I'm not saying that I don't think the bad eval wasn't justified but I feel as though I've dug myself a hole I can't get out of.

15. TechGuy

TechGuy Rookie

Apr 30, 2010

Never fully trust admin. In life, everything is business.

16. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

You can always, always get out of a hole. Every experience teaches us something. :)

Its a good sign that you admin is talking about next year with you but on the flip side, I still wouldn't be too confident. Instead, I would work my tail off. That way, I determine my fate instead of being surprised later when I just didn't cut it.

17. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 1, 2010

I always work my tail off... whether in trouble or not... that's what got me in this situation. I wanted more challenges! I wanted to know exactly what I was doing wrong so that I could improve.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

Well, now you know. Take some time this summer to take some classroom management classes, read some behavior management books and create a plan that will work for you.

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 1, 2010

It sounds like you were challenged enough. Next time just ensure you have classroom managment down (as I'm sure you will). Good classroom management makes any lesson look better. Just think - when you were applying for this job and they told you to do a demo lesson, you wouldn't have come in with a lesson that challenges you. You always show your best! You work on challenges by yourself and with someone you know doesn't control whether you have a job or not.