*Vent* WWYD?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 4, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I were talking on Sunday about what we would like to do on the 4th. We did not have any plans, so I suggested we invite some friends over. I made it very clear that it should just be some close friends. He sent an email out to some people, and many of them said they already had plans, so we were just going to meet up with some of them for the fireworks downtown.

Fast-forward to tonight. Some of the younger "kids" that he works with were meeting out for dinner and drinks. Many of them are co-op students, some are full-time employees at his work, but just graduated from college. Anyway, my intoxicated boyfriend decided to invite all 15 of them over to our house tomorrow. :mad:

It all started when one of them said something like, "We all want to party at your place tomorrow. Is that cool?" to which he responded, "It's up to the boss." They all turned to me, and asked if it was ok. I asked the one guy if they were all 21 and he said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure." My boyfriend said, "Invite anyone you want, man!" and told him to come over around 4.

I am so darn ticked off right now!!!!!!!!!! I know he had too much to drink, but the fact is that there will be about 15 people coming over to my house for a party tomorrow. My original plan of having about 6 close friends over has turned into entertaining 15 people that I just met tonight (my boyfriend actually just met most of them for the first time tonight). :( I do not want to clean for them, I do not want to shop for them, and I do not want to entertain them and act like a happy host because I'm not!

Am I over-reacting? Should I just suck it up and try to have a good time? I feel like it's too late now, because they're coming!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Since they're already coming, I would probably just suck it up and try to have a good time. I wouldn't feel like you need to make a meal or anything since it sounds like they just want to "party" anyway. Cleaning up a little and putting out some basic snacks would be as far as I'd take it. Then have a talk with bf about inviting people over so it doesn't happen again.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 4, 2012

What are the odds that they won't show up? If your bf was drunk, its possible they were too and won't even show up. Why don't you just make him grill so you don't have to do much. Buy the already made potato salads, macarani salads, and then just buy some chips and dip. He can BBQ burgers and hot dogs. It shouldn't be too expensive and maybe it will be fun. Have him send them all a text to bring their own beer.

I know how you feel, I feel that way when my husband invites my nieces and nephews. LOL It sounds bad, but I just don't like entertaining them. He loves hearing them laugh and have fun. I'm use to spending quiet evenings together.

Enjoy it and try not to worry about it until the morning. Better yet create a shopping list and let him go get everything in the AM. It'll give you time to clean up a bit. Let him know he can clean after? :)

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

Thanks for the advice...That's probably what I'll do. :(

When that one guy asked me if they could come over, I said something like, "Sure, but I'm not going grocery shopping, so you'll need to bring your own food and drinks."

They are actually all really nice people...I'm sure it will be ok. I just pictured a few close friends coming over, and this is so different!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

Oooo, you know what I should do? I should make a grocery list, and a "to do" list. Then, I should wake him up around 7 and tell him we need to get moving if we're having a big party. He will be hungover and not very happy with me. :lol:

7. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 4, 2012

It sounds like to me it was a "spur of the moment" idea to invite everyone. And of course, when you're drunk, it is super easy to start making plans and getting friendly.

It wasn't so cool to put you on the spot like that, though I am sure you felt sort of pressured to say yes when he indicated to everyone that the decision was up to you...

My advice is to let it go and have a good time. As cliche as it sounds, life is short; I'm almost certain he didn't do it to p*ss you off, so try not to be too hard on him, haha. Also, don't stress over the menu... most people go to parties to drink and socialize anyway.

Take advantage of the opportunity, get drunk (if that's your thing) and have a blast!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 4, 2012

Yes, he made his "bed" (this mess), now make him lie in it by doing all the work in the morning like you said!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2012

I love to entertain-- honestly I would be OK with MOST of the scenario.

What would get me is the "I'm pretty sure."

Be very careful about serving booze to people you don't know, who could potentially be minors. "We all want to party" has a different connotation from "We're coming to a party." Just be careful. And if you are serving booze, I would serve more to eat than just chips. Chips don't absorb alcohol.

Remember to let the first set of friends know that you'll no longer be meeting with them downtown for fireworks.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2012

Yep. This is what I would suggest. Make up the list, hand it to him, tell him you are getting your nails done, and you will be back later. Show up about 30 minutes before the rest of the guests will arrive.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2012

Collect car keys when they arrive.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

Well, I have been up for 3 hours cleaning the garage and doing yard work. Guess who is still sleeping and calling me "crazy" when I try to tell him how much we have to do? :rolleyes:

When he finally gets up, I'm going to have him go grocery shopping. I'm also going to have him get an estimated head count, make sure everyone is 21, and tell them all to bring a dish to pass. Everyone that was out last night was 21, so if it is the same group of people, we should be ok. I told the guy that no one under 21 is allowed over, so hopefully he will respect that. Like I said, they all seem like pretty good people. We were out for 5 hours last night, and only about 3 people (my boyfriend included) had too much to drink. The rest were all very responsible. So, hopefully it won't be too crazy!

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2012

:yeahthat: Keep us posted on what happens.

My husband sort of did the same thing to me once at Christmas. Because we had just spent significant time with both sides of the family at a wedding and a reunion (both in November), we decided that we were going to have Christmas at our home just us and the kids.

Then the evening of Dec 21 (We had school yet thru noon Dec 24) he decides we are blessed with family and should have a gathering with his family Dec 25 and mine Dec 27 at our home! HE BUSTED HIS BUTT cooking and cleaning and pulled off an amazing memory.

Hope that happens for you as well.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Uh, this just wouldn't fly in our house. No way. Hope it comes together for you, though!

15. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 4, 2012

How did your party go, tonight? I hope it went well and no one showed up that you weren't expecting!

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 5, 2012

I too hope all went well yesterday.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

Well, the temp was about 105 on the 4th. Since the plan was to grill out, play lawn games, etc., I suggested that we cancel everything because it was wayyyyyy too hot to even sit outside (we hardly have any shade in our yard). Surprisingly, he agreed and told everyone not to come over. I felt kind of bad, but not really, because it was so last-minute anyway.

So, I was able to relax in my very clean air-conditioned house. :D

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

Good things happen to good people :whistle:

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

Ah, that really sounds like the best case scenario!

20. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

Glad it worked out for you!!!