Vent-Those paper gift bags from Victoria Secret

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Terri in CA, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

OK so one of my teachers has been bringing her lunch to school this week in a Victoria Secret gift bag that says "give me sexy".

She keeps her lunch in the classroom visable to everyone.

We asked her to bring her lunch in a different bag OR to put a sticker over the word "sexy"

WOW did she get angry! She felt that was redicilous and that she could bring her lunch in any bag she wanted.

I tried to explain that as a Christian Preschool we need to present a certian image.

Am I wrong here?

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Not at all. I think that bag would be inappropriate even if it were not a christian school.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

Wow! I'm surprised she lacks common sense to know any better.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Yeah, that's not a bag I'd want to bring anywhere besides the mall and home!

6. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I agree, it's completely inappropriate! Christian school or not.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2009

Even if you were (you aren't), what a dumb thing for her to get angry over.

8. preteach

preteach Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

not at all...but she is!

9. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

What she is doing is completely inappropriate. You could give her a choice: put the bag somewhere it is not visible to parents and students or don't bring it.

I'm not sure, but is this something that she could be written up for -- is it in your staff handbook/bylaws/agreement or anywhere?

10. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

She asked if she could store it in the office I told her yes, but she needs to still walk through the building with it and parents will see it, unless she sneaks out the back door, which she never does.

Our employee handbook states about "image & dress code" so I will bring that up if she makes a fuss again. Her boyfriend gave her a gift in the bag, and so I think she is attached to it some how.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 29, 2009

No, you are not wrong! That bag is inappropriate for anything that puts you in contact with kids.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2009

Whoa.....I don't teach in a Christian school and even I think it's inappropriate. :lol She should know better.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

Yeah-she's crazy.

I had a small VS bag that I kept my Sub treats in-popcorn, chocolate, etc. I liked the stripe pattern, but I put a cute name over the top of the VS logo. It didn't even say 'sexy' or anything-I just knew enough not to have anything with VS on it in my classroom!!

14. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I think it's extremely tacky, and screams unprofessional! She would be better off bringing her lunch in a plastic bag from the grocery store rather than a VS bag.

I think it's silly for her to get angry over it!

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

What a doofuss! I know I spelled that wrong but I couldn't think of a better word to describe her! She doesn't wear sweat pants that say SEXY on the butt right? LOL

16. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 29, 2009

No, you aren't wrong. Those bags are not appropriate to be brought into school. I can't believe she got upset about it as it's just a bag that her bf got when he purchased something from VS. Really silly if you ask me.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

Her reaction to your request is a red light. I would watch her carefully to see if she shows other types of extreme behaviors. I had an experience with a teacher who had extremes of behaviors, and wish I had noticed sooner.

18. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

At Christmas I get lotion from VS every year and they always use the gift bag it comes in to give to me. I always hide the bag after I open the present...and I teach 5th in a public school.

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

There is only one profession for which that would be even mildly appropriate and it sure doesn't have anything to do with teacing or scool and in most places is illegal. She is being inappropriate and unprofessional and degrading toherself and the school. And wehter she like s it or not, your're the boss and she needs to abide by your rules.

20. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

It turns out that she thought we were looking through her bag and thats why she got mad. But we looked in out handbook, and we techincally have a right to look inside her bag if we want/need to. What are your policies about this?

21. txgirl

txgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I agree with the other posters who said it is inappropriate. All she needs is for children to identify the letters and then ask what that word is and what is means! Then bring on the mom's who got to hear her explaination from their 4 year old!

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

ok, besides being unprofessional (we all agree), it's just plain strange. Really? she is so attached to the bag that her bf gave her lingerie in that she has to take her lunch in it??????

Weird. But I'm not judging or anything..............:whistle:

23. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Ok this is weird but so is this: Last year on Valentine's Day, we had not one, not two, but THREE Kids show up with gift bags with pictures of lingerie and boxer shorts to take home their cards in (decorating a bag/box was a family project).

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

You are the director of a Christian Pre school.

You are her boss.

You are NOT wrong here!!!!!

25. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I can do you one better. I had a child who brought in a fleece blanket to nap with that said "Playboy" and had the bunnies on it. The mom thought it was "cute" and was peeved when I asked that her daughter find another blanket or we could find one for her to use at school.

Unless you're in health class, any mention of sex and school don't match, in my opinion. You were totally right to ask her to keep it at home.

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

Oh wow. I taught at a Christian preschool for almost three years, and none of us would dream of doing that. We would have been fired on the spot! It was in our contract not to be seen drinking alcohol in public! (Granted, most of us did not follow that contract, but they did use it to fire some girls who weren't doing their job otherwise...) It was understood that we would not talk about pre-marital sex with other employees or certainly not the parents. These parents were paying a TON of money for their kids to be in a wholesome environment, and we knew better than to dress, display, or talk about anything provocative at all!

27. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Anyone else think it is strange that she got so angry about you looking in her bag. You do technically have the right. Wonder what she has in there...

28. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Aparetly this is the point. She didnt understand that we had the right. She felt it was an invasion of privacy.

She now locks her things in a locker, which she always could have done if she wanted to. And we showed her the policies regaring searching/viewing belongings.

Some if the "looked at my bag" thing is aparently cultural. She is from Columbia, and aparnetly in their culture the "things" that you take with you to the restroom are EXTEREMLY private and should NEVER be looked at by other people. And she had these "things" in her bag along with her lunch.

I still think she over reacted and I hope that it has all blown over.

29. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 3, 2009

Still seems strange that the "take them to the restroom" super secret things are then stored with her lunch.

the whole thing is too big ----glad she has decided to lock it up. perhaps it will break soon and then she can get a new bag.

30. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I would be pretty upset about anyone searching my things without actual cause whether or not they posses the "right", but I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind being embarrassed by tampons and the like, yet walking around with a bag saying "Very Sexy."

31. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Wrong

How can this teacher not see how wrong it is to use that bag anywhere around children!

32. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

BAG is gone!

She is not bringing the bag anymore just incase some thought she was. She has a big black bag now.

That was my point all along! How come she didn't get it!

Thanks for everyone who responded to this. Sometimes you just need to be reminded that you arent crazy when other people are telling you otherwise.