Vent...school getting old.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2011

I went into this year with a great attitude, truly. Make the best of things...that was the master plan. Well, I ran out of happy juice.

State scores back. We suck.

Parents. They're freaking crazy. I just love when they scream at me for things truly beyond my control. Nice. Very nice.

I'm just over working so much harder than my students. I need more from them. I try so hard...

And just all the other crazies...hallways, absolutely zero (okay, a "two" out of ten) communication within the school, surprise meeting after suprise meeting, the lack of necessary resources to teach. I could go on.

Do I have it as bad as some fellow members? Nope. But that doesn't seem to help much when I'm unhappy with my circumstances. Am I still going to give my all? Yes. Do I still love the kids? Sigh...yes, I really do. Got to love them. Can I survive the year? Yeah. I will have many good days...but I do not like the thought of doing this in three years.

I love my grade colleagues, though. So thankful for them. Otherwise...

Vent over.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2011

I'm sorry that things are rough for you at your school. Is it time to switch schools?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2011

Thank you, and quite possibly.

But I hate change. The idea of of changing so much as grade levels...just the idea leaves me anxious. Still, I did consider it this summer but ultimately decided the grass may not be greener. I am the least risky person I know. I never roll the dice.

We shall see.

I'm afraid I won't be happy unless I pursue something in a completely different field...one which would bring in a salary of approximately no dollars. Yeah, that's slightly problematic. :)

And then...it just breaks my heart that the reality of education today, at least in my experience, is what it is. I want to want to teach.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 28, 2011

This sums it up nicely for me. My sentiments exactly.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 28, 2011

Aww, sorry you are having it tough. So I have to ask all the normal questions:

Are you depressed - sad about things outside of school?
    Health ok?
    Do you have friends to go have fun with?
    Are you taking care of yourself??
    Do you have things to do that bring joy to your life?

I can identify with much of what you said, except at my school admin is great and communication, well, we still have to work on it but staff all knows the admin is on our side. There is a lot of support. A lot of love among us. That goes a long way.

I hope you can have some good days and keep a log of them! This might help you through the rough or frustrating times. It can be very frustrating to be in the situation you described. God Bless!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2011

Thank you for asking, but I'm happy outside of school. No depression, healthier than ever...I don't go out with friends, but that's simply my personality. In fact, I just want to stay home and enjoy homelife! Husband, dog, outside, books, crafts...that's the life. :p

I actually had typed in my original post that I needed to get a nice, new journal!

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2011

Mine too.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 29, 2011

:hugs: JustMe :love:

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 29, 2011

I'm with you. I was extremely excited about my new preK job. I lovelovelove the curriculum (Creative Curriculum), loved how my little classroom looked and everything sounded great during orientation. It takes more than just a positive attitude, it takes a positive and healthy environment.

I'm happy outside of the classroom too. Starting from scratch in another field is tough though, so I finally got in touch with the Homebound admin and I at least have some hope about doing that next year.

I have no problem with finally burying the dream, fantasy, desire etc to be a classroom teacher. There is too much negativity that comes with that, but more power to those who choose to stay and battle it out. I love being happy and not missing a moment of what life is really about. That dream is dead and buried, the field is a mess, so I'm trying for the very few other options out there.

Life is too short, and my baby is growing up sooooooooo fast. I'm not letting a job steal my precious moments from her.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2011

:hugs: JustMe. I'm beginning to become disillusioned with education as well.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2011

So sorry for those who no longer feel the 'fire'. It's not what education is everywhere...saddened that you have had your school conditions drain you. :(

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 29, 2011

So sorry you're feeling this way. I'm so glad you like your coworkers. They'll help keep you sane!