Vent re: professional courtesy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, May 28, 2015.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2015

I have decided to switch positions and schools after this year. I had been planning to share this with my students on one of the last days of the school year, mainly to avoid unnecessary drama.

One of my coworkers has taken it upon himself to share my news with most of my students. Not only has he told them that I will be leaving, but he has also told them that the school may not bring in a new teacher to replace me. (This is an administrative decision in which I have zero say. Obviously I think it's a terrible idea.)

My students are understandably upset. In order to graduate with an honors diploma, they need to have two years of the same language. Without another teacher to teach them my language, they will have to switch to a new language, which will eat up an elective slot in their junior year. It's a lot more work for them and I agree that they shouldn't have to deal with this mess. Still, there's not anything I can do about it. I have been spending the day today fielding angry complaints from students who are blaming me for leaving and messing up their schedules for next year and beyond.

I had hoped to enjoy a pleasant exit with perhaps a few kind farewells. Silly me for thinking that.

Please, please, please don't be like my jerk coworker who stole my thunder and made a huge mess for me. :mad:

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

That stinks that your coworker would do that, but it stinks even more that your admin isn't going to replace you. It is definitely not your fault and it shouldn't be blowing back on you, but as happens all too often, we end up bearing the brunt of poor admin decisions. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this as I am sure it was a hard enough choice for you already.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 28, 2015

Why can't people mind their own business?? One of my co-workers is switching grades and someone else told a lot of kids and we had drama.

I hope you are happy in your new position!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 28, 2015

It's really obnoxious that they would punish the students like this. In a situation like this, should they choose to discontinue the language, they should either alter the graduation requirements to accommodate the students (allowing two years of one foreign language, or one year of two different languages would seem to be a reasonable accommodation for these students), or at least find a way (distance learning, online class, something) to let your current students meet their graduation requirements.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 28, 2015

[​IMG]

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2015

Truly frustrating, Caesar: hugs.

Given the enrollment numbers you've mentioned, not replacing you seems highly unforethoughtful.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2015

It's the dumbest move I've seen admin make in a long time. And that's saying something.

There are 90 students enrolled in the 2nd level course and 40 enrolled in the 3rd level course. That's already enough for one full-time instructor, and that doesn't even take into account the first-year enrollment.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 28, 2015

Wow, what a mess. So sorry. I hope your next position is rewarding in all ways.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2015

(Word on the street is that they want to add a different language in order to compete with a rival high school across town. I guess that a lot of athletes take that language at that school, and our school thinks that those athletes will come to our school if we offer that language.)

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 28, 2015

What a jerk. Luckily, you don't have to work with him for too much longer.

I'm pretty surprised my resignation has been kept hush-hush. I'm glad, but surprised. Of course now that I'm burning through my sick days some suspicions may arise. 11 school days left and I have 7 sick days left....

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 28, 2015

That's terrible. Definitely a bad move on your colleague's part.

It would be nice if your school would at least offer the second year of the language just for next year, to help out those students in the position you described.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 28, 2015

They should hire a teacher who would teach the language you taught for those who need to finish it, and teach the new language to everyone else.

Your colleague is in the wrong by doing this, it's not their business to disclose this information. When I got pink slipped during my LTS, another teacher told all the students. I was so unprepared, all these kids coming to my class, some feeling pity for me, the ones who didn't like me had a victorious attitude and some were just unhappy.
    I was mad. This teacher was teaching for 20 years, and was an important figure in the local CTA- you'd think he would have been more professional.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

Wow Ceaser, I would like to say I'm shocked, but there is always that one co worker that gets their jollies by causing drama. Sorry you're on the receiving end....how rude!

15. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 28, 2015

Sorry to hear of what happened. If a course such as yours was being dissolved and students still needed it parents would be out in droves to the Board of Ed meeting in my area putting pressure on the members to help remedy the situation.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2015

Have you addressed your frustration with your colleague?

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2015

Aww, that's too bad. Some people just can't keep thier pie holes shut. I don't know if you considered this person a pal, but too bad you didn't keep this info under your hat & not told ANYONE (till the very end)...even the so-called ones you think you can trust.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2015

Many of us trust our colleagues to maintain professional courtesy.:2cents:

19. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 28, 2015

This is terrible, but you might be able to use it to your advantage and your students' advantage by asking them to talk to their parents/advocate for keeping your language at the site. You don't have to do much, just suggest if they have strong feelings, they should go talk to the principal and ask their parents to talk to the principal. That puts an end to any argument with you AND may lead to a better decision being made.

One time, a bird flew into my room and died. I worked at a charter and had NO CUSTODIAN, just this anonymous night crew that did office buildings normally. I asked and asked for it to be removed. Meanwhile, I was teaching in there. One day, when a student remarked that the bird was still there and still inhibiting our movement around the room, I suggested that they all tell their parents and ask them to call the principal. The next day, the bird was removed.

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 28, 2015

What does your new position entail, Ceasar?

21. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

May 29, 2015

I am so sorry to hear this! I know that we always try to keep things hush-hush when people are resigning, retiring, or leaving for any reason so that there will not be a drastic change in scheduling for the following year (on students' part- if their favorite teacher leaves so they stop signing up for the class, etc.). I hope you are able to express your thoughts to your coworker- maybe he or she won't do the same thing in the future, but who knows.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2015

Nope. He's now a persona non grata to me. I won't waste my time.

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2015

He was not a friend. I have had minimal contact with him all year, maybe two mailroom conversations.

Let me be clear: I did NOT share my news with him or anyone else at school, other than my principal when I told him that I would not be accepting the new position he had offered me at my current school. I assume that this information was discussed at an admin meeting with a secretary present, and that secretary is the one who started filtering the information through the staff.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2015

That's what I did most of yesterday when all this hit the fan. I hope that some of them do contact admin and express their concerns. I think that it's a terrible mistake to cut this program, which is huge and affects a lot of students.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2015

I'm going to be a librarian! :cool:

26. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 29, 2015

Wow fantastic Ceasar!!! Happy for you those openings can be few and far between!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 29, 2015

I would just do my best to ride it out since its the end of the year. Sounds like that person was jealous of your new job and is trying to be a jerk.

28. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 29, 2015

Caesar, I'm so sorry that your coworker did that to you. I'm leaving my position this year, too, and I know how upset I would be if that had happened. What a tool...

But CONGRATULATIONS on your new job! <3

29. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

May 29, 2015

Man, that stinks! I know I would be very perturbed if that happened to me. I'm so sorry that happened. As a student I would also be very upset that I had to hear it from another teacher rather than the teacher who is leaving. So that adds even more stress to the situation.

So you're transferring to another school? How exciting! Good luck!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2015

Good for you. I can outwardly express professional courtesy (greet them, smile, have pleasant small talk, etc.), but that doesn't mean I trust them.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2015

It seems a lot of these school secretaries (didn't say all) are the blabbermouths.