Vent -------- Pedestrians

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2011

Vent on Pedestrians

Ok I am not talking about the old, sick or infirmed but able bodied "intelligent" people.
    I live near a high school and two busy cross streets where Buses transferrer riders.

• Walking at night with BLACK clothes on, I just missed two last night.
    • Crossing on a DONT WALK signal (words or hand) I just love it when I have a left turn signal! <-
    • Walking as slow as possible (the high school kids do this a lot) when cars are waiting for them to get out of the crosswalk
    • Crossing in the middle of the block or like 50 feet from the Marked crosswalk
    Tickets? Heck the last time I heard of anyone getting a jaywalking ticket was in 1959 when my grandmother got one in Westwood, California for crossing in front of the A & P.

Ok vent is over

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jan 13, 2011

[*]Walking as slow as possible (the high school kids do this a lot) when cars are waiting for them to get out of the crosswalk

This drives me crazy! Seriously, you are on a road, get across!!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

...especially when the roads are icy.

The worst is when they combine those behaviors: they wear dark clothes, then meander across the road mid-block.

I'm fairly sure I can stop for almost anything in my way; are you willing to risk your life on it???

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 13, 2011

I hate when people walk in the middle of the road. Or, when they hang out in aparking lot for 20 minutes having a conversation. Especially on a busy day when people are waiting for a spot.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2011

There is this woman who walks down my street every morning. Sometimes it is dark when i leave my house in the morning and it never fails that she is walking in the middle of the road. I really feel like stopping and telling her to MOVE OVER.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 13, 2011

I live in an area that has a reputation for being dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists. Unfortunately, it is rarely the fault of the driver. The peds. do all the things you say, and we do have a large population of older residents, who often just do not pay attention. I get annoyed when people walk with their heads down and don't look at where they are going. Just kind of wander into the road. Or on their cell phones and aren't concentrating. Because of all the accidents and deaths, our local police are now giving out 'jaywalking' tickets. And people get SO mad when they get one!

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2011

One time I was making a left turn (with a left turn signal) and two people, real sharp knifes in the kitchen drawer of life, crossed against the DONT WALK signal. My window was down and being the Curmudgeon that I am, I said (maybe yelled :whistle:) "there is a DONT WALK signal"
    The "dude" replied "I have the Right a way" ........
    My retort "yep dead right".......
    I was so proud of myself when I looked in my mirror and saw he was signaling me with his hand that I was #1 or was it a half of a peace sign?:rolleyes:
    One of the reasons I have insurance

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2011

Oh I forgot coming out of Walmart Without looking!
    You know the striped area in front of the door?
    I am driving and watching the door, the other side of the walkway, I watch that two year old, who's mom is not holding on to (and talking on my cell phone ...NOT). I mean you get Walmart Points for hitting an adult but negative points for hitting a child
    when I leave Wallyworld I stop and look to see if any vehicle is coming

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

I HATE when people (usually kids) split up either riding their bikes or walking. What I mean is one on one side & one on the other. I had a cousin when my mom was little die that way because he thought his friends were going one way & they went the other. My cousin was hit & killed, there was another car coming & no place to "move" over for the car. Sad... I hate that they still do that.

Or come on please ride your bike on the "right" side of the road.

Some on bikes who don't follow traffic laws like stopping at a stop sign.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

While we're venting:

Can we add in all those people who haven't shoveled their walks??? My daughters had to walk in a fairly busy street for 2 house lenghts this afternoon because the walks hadn't been shoveled.

It was a lot of snow. I get that. But shovel it or pay someone to shovel it. It doesn't have to be a wide path; the elementary kids who aren't old enough to be in the street aren't all that big. But please shovel out a path!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

When we lived in the city... I shoveled our sidewalk, in front of our neighbor's they were elderly... I wanted to make sure our mailperson was safe.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

We grew up knowing that we did nothing else-- no sledding, no earning money, nothing-- until the retired woman on one side and the retired couple on the other had had their walks shoveled (free of charge of course!)

Mom figured that they put up with the noise of 5 kids all year long; this was the least we could do.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2011

Are you sure we weren't separated at birth My dad did the same to me :lol:

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2011

Here's a person pet peeve of mine.

Certain idiots come out of the grocery store and walk with their cart in the middle of the driving lane. Or vice versa. Why? Why can't you move to the side? Think. What is that noise behind you, creeping along with you? IT'S ME! IN MY CAR! Following you, waiting for you to get out of the way! Duh!!

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

I hate that as well... also when they look behind them to see & keep walking down the middle. Or PLEASE GRAB YOUR CHILD'S HAND YOU ARE IN A PARKING LOT!!!!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

Yeah shouldbe and Diz, I HATE those people, but Diz on the people who don't hold their child's hands...my daughter will literally pull away from me if I try grabbing for her hand. She stays right next to me though or we don't go anywhere.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

Here the drivers have the right away. If you are a pedestrian, you run the risk of being hit, and it's your fault...

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 13, 2011

If you don't shovel your sidewalks within 24 hours of a snowstorm, you can get a rather icky fine from my city....

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

I've never heard of anyone actually getting one though.

On a similar note: I live on a tiny, narrow little one way street. About 20 years ago we had a town meeting-- the fire department was concerned that it would have trouble getting its newer, bigger fire trucks to the end (my end) in the event of an emergency because of the cars parked on both sides.

We voted in favor of them widening the street, but were outvoted by people who chose alternate side of the street parking.

OK, not our choice, but we obey the rule. And we almost always park in our driveway.

But it is SO ANNOYING to have to make a 5 point turn out of my driveway because someone has parked directly across the street from it!! (One neighbor has a legal 2 family house, another has an illegal zillion family house, and a 3rd does haircuts from her basement, so she has lots of customers parking on the street.) Add in snow, and it's a real pain in the tush!

Yet these cars don't get ticketed except on very rare occasions.

You don't like the law? Fine, fight to get it changed. But otherwise, please play by the rules!!

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2011

STG... I know older ones do... but I mean it seems as though parents get some kids out of the car seat set them down & off they go!!!! I'm talking about some of the really little ones.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011

Joggers who jog in the bike lane the same direction as traffic. Anyone who was ever in the Boy Scouts or the military knows that foot traffic goes the opposite direction as vehicle traffic. That means the left side of the road except the UK and other places where they drive on the wrong side.

Same for bike paths. When you walk on a bike path, walk on the left side.

And the worst: People who walk their dogs on those big long retractable leashes and basically string a dangerous rope across the bike path. More than once I've nearly been taken out by those.

As for slow moving teenage pedestrians in the middle of the road, GO FOR IT! Cyclists have a term for them: meat pylons. When I see a texting (yes, texting) teenager walking down the middle of the street, I make a sport of seeing how close I can get to him on my bike.

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 14, 2011

Well, I'm thinking if your house burns down, either your neighbors or the city would be at fault if they firetruck couldn't get there. Or, maybe they'd just smash through the neighbors' cars. That may be a fun image to imagine as you're trying to back out.

For some reason, our next door neighbors park in front of our house all the time. They could park in front of their house, but they don't. Which means we have nowhere to park our 2nd car if we want our main car to be covered from the ice. We just bought this house, and can't afford to add on more covered parking right now. We've asked him several times, and he always apologizes, and for a few days he parks in front of his house, but then I really think he forgets and parks in front of our house out of habit.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 14, 2011

Fargo tickets and tows. How else do you think they can afford the one million dollar snow removal budget for a city of 95,000? Personally, I'm in favor of what they do. These people keep the roads in wonderful shape, and I'm glad of it.

25. smalltowngal

Jan 14, 2011

Diz~that makes sense! She was always holding my hand when she was younger...until she said she was big enough to walk w/o holding my hand. :( Miss Lil Independent!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2011

I must be a mean mom... I still hold our lil ones hands or I know this sounds weird by the shoulder... Not to hurt them, but just to be able to grab them if a car starts backing out or whatever.

I alwasy had a rule when one came out the other waiting had to stand with the hand on the car.

27. smalltowngal

Jan 14, 2011

She does have to be beside me when we're walking to the store because there are some crazy people who don't look.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011

I love it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

The son of a colleague of mine was hit right outside of his hs while crossing the street to go home. A car stopped to allow him thru the crosswalk and some idiot who couldn't wait 25 seconds went around that car and hit my friends son...his backpack pretty much saved his life as he fell backwards on top of the car that hit him rather than being propelled forward.
    Pedestrians have the right of way most of the time. Be alert.