Vent - licensing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by otterpop, Jul 6, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 6, 2014

I'm thinking that others in the "job seekers" category might be able to relate...

Why is it so flipping hard to get a teaching license (even having met all the requirements!)?

Many states require multiple months to process a license application. In order to apply for another state's license, you need the first one. In May, I sent my university my completed application package, and then they forward it to the DOE. My school said it would take 2 weeks to forward it, but it has been nearly 6 now, and it still hasn't been done. :dizzy: Next, after the DOE receives it, they take 4-6 weeks to process it normally (according to the website), but right now, it takes 8-10 or so (which, in all likelihood, is more like 12). AHH!

In order to apply for licenses in other states, I have to have my first license, so I am in a total limbo.

If I graduated in May, there should be no problem with having a license by the start of the school year!

I have accepted a job in another state, pending on whether I can figure this mess out, and am going to be heartbroken if it doesn't work out. I have asked several knowledgeable professional questions about licensing and get a different answer from each one, ranging from "Oh yeah! That's no problem! You'll be fine," to "You can't be hired".

I'm just so frustrated. The process is super expensive with application fees, testing fees, and fingerprinting fees, and every state requires something different. It is beyond time to have some type of standardized system that works in place.

I know that my situation probably isn't all that special, but doubt that anyone outside of the education world even knows how difficult and expensive the licensing process is.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2014

It has been a while since I went through this, but my state (or maybe it was my college) issued letters stating your license was processing and this was good enough for a job.

Now, I didn't apply out of state until I subbed for a year, so I didn't exactly have your issue. Have you spoken to someone in your new state? I would think you should be able to start their process now, even with your first license still pending.

When I was hired in NC, I did not have my NC license yet. Since Michigan has higher standards than NC, I simply had to write a check. I don't think I actually got it until November.
    My best friend moved to Virginia, and I know she had a grace period, too.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2014

Can you bypass your university and send your application to the state DoE yourself?

5. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

I graduated last May. My license came through on 6/28. Luckily, I didn't have to go through my university because that would have been a mess. I just had to fill out an application and wait until official transcripts (showing my degree) were available.

6. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 6, 2014

I totally understand this! I just got clearance to apply for my license. I was thinking the process would take less than a month. I just got told it would take 8-10 weeks as well once the college signs off on it. (My college is slow, so I am sure it will take sometime for them to get the e-signature done.) When I ask, people give me the same responses you have gotten. AHHHH!!

It may help you if the district where you get hired can see the application status online. This is what I plan to do if it becomes an issue. Does your state have an online system?

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 6, 2014

Giraffe, I did speak to someone in the new state's DOE, and that was one of the people who said it should be no problem. So now I just need to get the district HR's approval.

Caesar, in the state I did my education program, the school has to apply directly for the license, unless you are transferring over a license from another state. So all I can do is wait.

I completed my degree online through another state, so I will eventually apply for my home state license too. It's crazy how complicated it is, and no one in any state seems to be able to give definitive answers on the process or timeline.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

I know when I started my first job there were several out of state people who did not have a license yet. They had a period of time to get a license. In fairness though, it was at a school that was pretty hard up for teachers so I don't know if schools always allow starting while waiting to get your license transferred over.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 6, 2014

I would call the state you are living in's department office. I did that for me, I live in NY. I had gotten someone on the phone who knew how to process my stuff faster. He did everything over the phone. I needed one more paper for a workshop I completed and I had said well it was mailed a month ago. He said the mail was backed up by about 6 weeks. So he let me email him a scanned copy and processed it. I totally professed my love for him. Lol.

I went from being told 10-12 weeks (I had called and spoken to a different person 2 weeks before) to having it done and processed within 3 days once I spoke to the right person.

Give it a shot. I would call everyday and see if stuff can be processed. You never know who wants to help you.

On a side note I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate that there isn't a physical office to go to and actually hand in all your paperwork. Well there is but they don't allow it. Everything has to be sent via mail. All these important documents that are the key to your future and livelihood. It's a bit annoying and nerve wrecking for sure.

10. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 6, 2014

I graduated in November and had my teaching credential by December. I'm sorry it is taking so long for you! That has got to be very frustrating.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 6, 2014

Wow, allaragallagher and MrsJay, you two are lucky you got yours so quickly. That's the way it should be, IMO!

Bunnie, how nice of him to help you! Mail seems weird to me too, when I'm sending such important documents. I've heard of teachers in my home state waiting 4+ hours on hold to speak with someone on the phone. To even get an email answered, they typically take about 90 days. It's crazy.

It's so much easier to talk to someone on the phone (even though I like having the information I get in writing via email). I'm going to make some more calls tomorrow.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2014

I would definitely be talking to your new Principal/HR department to make sure it's going to work out even if you don't have the license in hand right away. I completely understand, because the same thing happened to me as a first year teacher. Our DOE is completely ridiculous. I got my home state's license a month after graduating. I was hired in this state in July and literally went and did my fingerprints and everything and paid extra to have everything mailed overnight the very same day I was hired. I had to move out here at the end of August, still no license, and I was completely freaking out. I finally got someone in HR to tell me that it was okay as long as I was eligible and had applied for the license. My license literally came over Christmas break in January. It took 6 months! Apparently that is the norm here, but coming from out of state I didn't know that. I need to renew mine for the 15-16 school year, but I'm going to do it this coming school year just because I know how long it takes them!

13. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 6, 2014

I would even call more than once if you don't get the help you need from the first person your talk to. We have many people that work in the office of DOE.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 6, 2014

Been there, scratched my head through that. It took a couple of calls for someone to finally tell me I needed to take an extra test.

15. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 6, 2014

Like others have suggested- I would call and talk to HR and also the DOE.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2014

What I always tell people in California is to go have a chat with the nice people at the county office of education (or department of education, if the county happens to be Orange). The credential analysts on staff are generally very helpful.

17. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 7, 2014

Thank you all :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get more information tomorrow when offices are open.

18. Mrs. Rader

Mrs. Rader Rookie

Jul 7, 2014

Best of luck to you!

I know different states have different steps for getting your license and certification.

First, I had to receive a Statement of Eligibility (SOE) before I could apply for jobs. I applied for my SOE the last semester of college. After my internship year, I will receive my state license and full certification.

It is very interesting how different some states are. :)

19. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 7, 2014

I think I got it figured out. I should still be able to accept it. I just have to take an extra test and hope that my results show up on time.

20. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 8, 2014

Good news!! I have a funny story to share- today I called our DOE to ask a question on licensure. I applied for a 1 year sub license and was then told I could get a 4 year provisional license. I called to ask if I could or needed to cancel my sub license. When I called I selected the licensure dept. and a nice gentleman answered and said he was in educator licensure. I told him the situation and his response was- you have to talk to someone in licensure dept. Ummm... Is that not you? He took my information and said someone would call me. He sounded so confused. I have a feeling I may need to call back!

21. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

That is funny! My main issue with all of the things in this thread is that everyone kept telling me different answers to the same questions. There is a lot of confusion surrounding licensure, I think, even for the people who deal with it every day.

22. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

I'm guessing your state doesn't have an online application checking thing - NJ does - you just insert your last name and your SSN and it tells you the status of your application.

23. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jul 9, 2014

Oh god. I totally feel your pain. My university was absolutely incompetent when it came to sending my materials. It got to the point where I had to apply myself.