[VENT] Is it even worth it to get credentialed in California?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tonitrus1992, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Nov 7, 2016

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    PallasAthena likes this.
  3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 7, 2016

I hear ya. If you decide to stay in CA just keep breathing - Yes, there are a LOT of stupid hoops to jump through. Yes, if you want it, it can be worth it. Once it's all done, it's all done. just focus on one step at a time. Don't think of BTSA yet. If you are studying for the RICA, just focus there. And then the TPAs, or whatever is next. ...You will get through it all. One step at a time. Hang in there.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2016

Was that a vent? Blank OP?

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 7, 2016

hmmm...it was a vent ...and then it went away. weird. And now I just feel dumb replying to a blank post! Ah well - I've felt dumb before and I will again too. So it goes.

6. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Nov 7, 2016

Honestly, I just don't understand this state's logic. For the last 10 years teacher credential enrollment has declined and declined and declined and over that same period the requirements have just gone up and up and up with the most recent stupidity being TPAs. I can't stand it. The people who run this state must be nuts.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 7, 2016

Yes I think the state does think this and no, I don't think it does lead to higher quality. I think it is a giant waste of time.

Another way to think of it is job security. The more hoops, the more secure for those who have jumped through the hoops.

8. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Nov 7, 2016

That's a very nasty way of ensuring job security but I think you're absolutely right. The fact of the matter is that the union benefits most when the labor market is tight. What better way is there to ensure a tight labor market than institute arbitrary barriers to entry? This benefits those who already have jobs and who have tenure but harms those of us trying to get in. They would rather give a little more to those who have some by taking it from those who have none and what's more they do so while claiming to "stick up for the little guy."

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 7, 2016

I am not sure it is so nasty or deceitful. I think it is just not very authentic or effective when it comes to trying to improve teacher preparation.

The tests, BTSA..etc. are very easy, they are just time consuming and a pain in the butt. However, they should not keep anyone that truly wants to be teacher from becoming one.

ms.irene likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2016

It's back!

creativemonster likes this.
  11. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Nov 7, 2016

Believe me, I do not want to leave my home state but at this point I'm afraid that is what I might have to do. I understand everything you are saying. Also, I just looked up the alternate route in NJ and "wow" that looks nice!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2016

NJ is a tight market with hundreds of resumes for every one opening in many areas. While going alt route might look "nice", you will be competing for jobs with experienced, traditional route (tends to be preferred for gen ed in districts near me) professionals. Are you in a high demand field that makes you competitive?

13. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Nov 8, 2016

California has the highest percent of students considered ELL in the country, at around 22%. Arizona, NY and NJ are all under 10%.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2016

CA does have some crazy bureaucracy around becoming a teacher, but once you are credentialed (and tenured), we have some of the best union protections in the country. I am finally in a good district and (almost) tenured, and I make a decent wage for the cost of living where I am and feel respected in my position. It can be worth it, but you have to really, really want it!

PallasAthena likes this.
  15. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Nov 9, 2016

In answer to your question yes it is worth it. I work in a good school where students appreciate me. I am paid a decent living wage for my job and have good health care for my family. My hubby makes about as much as i do as a teacher. We have been able to afford having a child and buying a home. That being said in cali, location is everthing. Pay varies by area.

PallasAthena likes this.