vent... I'eing laid off and 39 weeks pregnant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sonflawah, Dec 15, 2011.

1. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Dec 15, 2011

vent... I'm being laid off at 39 weeks pregnant

I'm being laid off at the start of the 2nd semester along with a three other teachers. This is a start-up charter school and it has faced decreased enrollment as well as mismanagement of funds and a poorly planned unrealistic budget. Word has gotten around to the parents that the school is facing a financial crisis and they are slowly withdrawing their children as well as stirring up a lot of drama. Now 3 teachers are being laid off from a staff of 20. This is all happening one week before I am due to start my maternity leave so I am also losing my health insurance at 39 weeks pregnant. The principal has promised me that I would be the first hired back next year. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to stay home longer with my daughter once she is born, but I also have to wonder whether or not my impending maternity leave had anything to do with the decision to lay me off. I'll never know as I don't think they would be stupid enough to even hint at that as it would be a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen, but part of me wonders. I am certified to teach 3 subjects and have a perfect evaluation. The principal has never had any bad things to say about my classes. It could be that the other teachers are also all very good, but since the layoffs weren't done by seniority (all new teachers at a first-year charter), I guess I can only wonder if being 9 months pregnant was part of the decision making process. Sorry for the long vent...

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 16, 2011

Sorry to hear about the lay off. You're right though, you'll never know if your pregnancy had anything to do with the decision. Hope you can enjoy your time off and be able to return next year, or find a more stable school.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2011

Ah, I'm so sorry.

Since you're still technically employed, look to see whether your insurance will cover the baby's birth; if you're 39 weeks pregnant, you should be good. Also, look into whether it's possible to somehow continue your medical coverage and pay your way, even as a non-employee. (I have no idea-- is this legal?)

Or can you switch over to your husband's insurance? When a friend's husband was laid off, they just put the whole family on hers.

Best wishes, for both a quick easy delivery and a better financial picture.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 16, 2011

Long time ago, in Texas, it was called Cobra. That's the way you continue to pay it after you are laid off. It was really expensive though. The area I lived in, I actually found much cheaper ways of getting care than going through insurance. It was quite interesting what was out there. But... I wasn't about to deliver. My guess is your insurance has to stay in place for so many days before it is switched to that option. I would ask!

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 16, 2011

I was also going to tell you to look into COBRA. We used it when my hubby was laid off years ago. It was a bit pricey, but not nearly as pricey as trying to get insurance on your own. Plus, you are already on the plan so no suprises in coverage or continuance of coverage.

Good luck with the birth of your child.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2011

If you decide not to go the COBRA route, just know that some insurances consider pregnancy as a pre-existing condition. So, I would take the COBRA insurance at least for the first few months to get through the pregnancy and the first month after.

8. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Dec 16, 2011

Also in a lot of places a spouse can add you to their insurance or join their companies insurance if there is a qualifying event, for which a spouse being laid off and the birth of a child both qualify.

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 16, 2011

I'm glad mopar brought that up because that was a big issue my family faced when my aunt decided against COBRA. She had the pre-existing thing pop up and it just caused a load of issues.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 16, 2011

I just went through the " pre- existing condition" with my insurance and pregnancy was not allowed to be considered a pre- existing condition with my insurance. Not sure if it's like that with all bit worth looking in to.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 16, 2011

That's one of the many reasons why it's so risky to work at charter schools. No union, no rules that they have to follow.

:unsure:

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 16, 2011

There are basic worker's rights legal rules they have to follow. They are just choosing not to. A call to the labor department would probably be a really good step.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2011

Go on the COBRA coverage. It may or may not be costly but at least start with it. It would be much more costly to pay for the overnight stay you will have in the hospital than several months of insurance coverage using COBRA, even if it is really expensive. Talk to your soon to be ex-boss and inform him/her you want COBRA. I am not sure of the steps necessary to get on it I got it through the union the one time I was on it. But it is required of any insurance gotten through a job.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2011

It's entirely possible, though, that they had to lay off 3 people, picked names out of a hat, and the OP's name came up. If it's a first year charter, everyone has equal seniority. While pregnancy isn't a legal reason to fire someone, it also isn't protection from being laid off in a bad economy.

My sympathies, OP. See first if you can get insurance under your husband's policy. If not, as others have suggested, look into Cobra. Speak to your current insurance agency and ask whether there's any way to continue your coverage. In fact, speak to your principal-- ask if you can pay his share of the premium in order to continue your coverage. (Is this legal if you're no longer an employee? You may want to check first.)

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 17, 2011

I think that's now federal law (as part of the Obamacare package). Insurance companies were severely limited on what they could call a "pre-existing condidtion".

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2011

I humbly apologize. My statement was meant for a different thread.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2011

Ah, come on... there's no "humbly apologizing" between friends :)

18. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 17, 2011

So sorry about your situation. I usually pay(through work) insurance a month in advance..so would you at least be covered for a month and the birth?? I agree about COBRA. Hope it works out.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2011

I think that you should do one or more of these things in this order:

1. Try to get on your partner's insurance.
    2. Get Cobra.
    3. Find out if you qualify for government assistance.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. Good luck!

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011

I would also check with local labor laws...this could also be a discriminatory case due to your pregnancy. Are there others in your school who came after you who were NOT laid off??

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2011

So, have you had the baby?