~Vent~ Hard Day Today

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherApr, Sep 16, 2010.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 16, 2010

It all started last night when I realized that I had no time to do any lesson planning after my daughter and I got home, cooked dinner, did dishes, played and spent time with my daughter, and then got her to bed.

I then came into school this morning and found out I was to receive YET ANOTHER student. This is the THIRD student in 6 days! This brings my count up to 32 + 3 special ed= 35! I do not have any room in my classroom anymore! There is NO WAY to do Literacy/Reading centers after whole group instruction due to the fact that it now takes longer to get their attention. Not to mention, I have to continually refocus them while I am teaching and giving instructions! I have NO TIME to do any paperwork (get the required folders and packets together for new students, referrals for testing, literacy folder paperwork and WICP's for my ELL students)

I am VERY organized and on top of things but I am losing it. I had what I would call a mental breakdown this morning and most of the afternoon. I was so distraught that I almost had them call in a sub to take over my room. I even thought about taking a mental day tomorrow and then working on lesson plans but I decided against it.

I am a single mom and have no help whatsoever with my daughter. I am trying to be Super Mom (and Dad) as well as Super Teacher and I realized today that I can't do it. I came very close to leaving work, packing up my stuff and leaving the state. I'm so tired of not being appreciated around here. (NO teachers are being appreciated around here) Every time I receive a paycheck, I'm reminded how crappy the pay is down here and how I have been worrying constantly how I am going to afford diapers and food for my daughter. No, I don't qualify for WIC OR food stamps. Pretty sucky.

thanks for "listening" er...reading.

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 16, 2010

Wow-that is a LOT of students!! The expectations for teachers just keep increasing....they keep adding more and not taking anything away!! It can be difficult to keep afloat. Hopefully, you'll be able to at least maintain control and do some teaching. It is too bad that so many of us spend 10-12 hours daily "on the job". Good luck!!

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 16, 2010

I can't even imagine that many students! It is not fair to you, or those kids. I am currently sitting at 19, with an aide, and I have already had two breakdowns since school started a week and a half ago because though my number is low, it's a super needy group. This is my third year teaching, and I have never felt so overwhelmed.

Now throw your own child into the mix?! I think you must be amazing to be able to care for 35 kids all day long, and then come home and care for another. I know that there probably isn't much that can be done in your situation, and nothing we can really say to make you feel better, but just know that we are here for you :hugs:

By the way... if you don't already do the Daily 5, look into it (even if it's just for the behavior management). With that many kids, you HAVE to do some small group stuff! The D5 has a really good plan to help with the management aspect of the classroom.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2010

Is there any way you can set aside a block of time over the weekends just for planning?

I know that's your time with your daughter. But, realistically, it's something that must get done sometime. And weekends are just so very much easier than weeknights.

You don't say how old your daughter is. If she's young: do you have the energy to consistently do your planning after she goes to bed? (This would NOT work for me!!!)

Or, if you're a morning person, could you set the alarm a half hour earlier each morning and do your planning then? (OK, for me that might hold a little promise.)

If she's a little older, could you do it while she's at soccer or girl scouts, or watching Hannah Montanna at the same time each week?

Your working conditions aren't something you can control right now. I say you try to find a time in your week when you can schedule lesson planning, in much the same way that lots of us have a regular routine concerning laundry or food shopping.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2010

Also, take a look at Whole Brain Teaching for methods for getting attention and delivering instructions in a fun, interactive way. It's a free registration, and there's a ton of downloads. http://www.wholebrainteaching.com/

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 16, 2010

My daughter is almost 2 and requires my attention non-stop. She always wants to be around me. Throw taking the garbage out, dishes and cooking dinner in the mix and it makes for one tired mommy after 8, which is the time she goes to bed = (

I have that site on my FAVORITES!!!! I have only done the mirroring so far and the kids LOVE IT!!!! It seems to work but maybe it's just my imagination? lol Nonetheless, they enjoy it and so do I. I want to see if there is anyone in our district that knows about this that could maybe teach us it more in depth.

Thank you for all your kind words. I am a crying mess right now and have been bursting into tears the past few days. At least my makeup stayed on longer today! I talked with my P and she found a parent volunteer to help me out with the mundane things such as cutting things out, bulletin boards, correcting papers, etc. My daughter's babysitter has even offered to correct papers while the kids are napping!

Last night I had the WORST stress cramps in my stomach. I had them last year, too. It's a dangerous sign in my eyes. I never stress out from work and it's happened twice now. I know that this HAS to be my last year here. It's not healthy. I get sick easily as well.

Now, if only my child support court date would hurry and get here and my boyfriend needs to get his head out of his butt so we can finish working towards our future together :::sigh::

8. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Sep 16, 2010

Honestly, I think you should think about taking a sick day if you are feeling the stress in physical ways (I think you said "stress cramps"). Stay home, get some rest for part of the day, and spend part of the day planning. Otherwise, you really will get sicker.

Obviously, that only makes sense if you can have your child cared for elsewhere, so that you can get the rest and the planning.

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 17, 2010

Thanks. I think I needed to hear that. I'm quite stubborn with myself sometimes when it comes to taking sick days. But, you are right. When I get stressed I get sick very, very easily.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 17, 2010

Does your daughter have a friend where perhaps she could spend one or two evenings with her buddy and buddy's Mom to give you a chance to catch up on your work?

I mean, heck, I live with my boyfriend and sister and all we have to take care of is two cats, a ferret, and 1 fish and I still have to ask my boyfriend and sister to take care of chores and errands for me. I can't even imagine having to take care of a child on top of preparing for teaching while being a single Mom.

Good luck to you! I so hope that you can get some extra help--- even if you could spend a period co-planning that would help.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2010

Do you know another teacher with a child near your daughter's age? Maybe you could exchange playdates twice a week and do your plans on your off day?

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 17, 2010

I'm also a big fan of child labor, lol. Make sure that you are not doing anything throughout the day that the kids can do! You have 35 students, that means 70 helping hands... put them to work :)

How do you plan? I would suggest if you are not already doing it, plan weekly or even a couple weeks at a time. That way you can spend a little bit of time to get it all done, pull any papers you need, and copy them all at once. You can store them in trays, and they are ready to go when you need them. I always also make sure I have full class sets of random worksheets for days when I'm feeling under the weather. It's nice to have something ready to go whenever something pops up!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2010

Do you have any support from family for your daughter? Like the saying goes, it truly does take a village to raise a child. I am sorry you have so much going on, but I really hope you find a way to balance it and get it all done.

14. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 17, 2010

ha ha yes...very true! I had them correct our Reading tests today. Not sure if I like that or not but it did save me a little time (no, they didn't correct their own)

I usually plan mONTHS ahead of time but have not had anytime this year = (

No family support. They are all 1400 miles away...

Thanks for the support!