Vent About Staff Meetings

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by KinderKatie, Feb 12, 2007.

1. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Feb 12, 2007

So I am kinda annoyed about this.

I only teach AM Kindergarten, so I am part-time and my day ends at 11:45. But staff meetings are from 3:45-4:30 so that means I have to come all the way back to school!

It is just so frustrating because I leave my house at 3:20 and then don't get back until 5:00. So that is more than an hour and a half of my OWN time!

Plus lately it is a total waste for me to go because they are talking about upcoming state testing which does not apply to me. But that is not my main point.

Mostly I am just upset about having to use so much of my own time to go all the way back to the school and sit through a staff meeting when I am not even getting paid to be there.

If I worked full-time, which I will next year, it won't be an issue because I will already be at the school at that time. But now my day ends at 11:45. It is not fair that I have to come back.

Anyway, this was just a vent. I wish staff meetings were in the morning. :(

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 12, 2007

I would absolutely hate that! I asume your meetings are weekly & I know how quickly that comes up! I'm a special ed teacher & 3/4 times, the meetings don't pertain to me. I hate having to attend them!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

Oh how awful. I don't blame you for feeling frustrated and angry.

5. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Feb 12, 2007

Me too!

At the school I student taught in- teachers had to be there by 8am. Students came in at 8:20. So once a week we had staff meetings at 8am for 20 minutes. That was plenty of time to get everything in.

I feel that my new school takes advantage of our time because since we are there after school- we must have no other obligations and they totally keep us there way too long. I mean, today was more than an hour! That is just ridiculous.

We do have lives outside of school. Let alone all the stuff we still need to do in our classrooms (for those full timers who have the staff meetings right when kids leave and still have after school work to do).

Ugh, I'm still angry about dragging myself back to the school today for nothing when I was so cozy in my house already nursing a headache to begin with.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

KinderKate- how often are your meetings?

Since next year is full time for you it will work out better. Keep in mind that not all meetings are going to pertain to you but that a school is a team and while you may not be part of standardized testing, the climate in the building should be one of teamwork- what you do in K impacts future learning and lays a foundation for those standardized tests. By coming back for meetings you show that you CARE about your job/school/district and that you are a PROFESSIONAL.

7. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

Our staff meetings run over an hour routinely. I don't think we've ever had one under an hour. I get angry with teachers who show up late, which means we can't start on time, which means we go home even later than usual.

8. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 12, 2007

WOW. I teach am kinder too and all our staff meetings are in the am. Once I leave at noon I am done and not to come back, except the one day we had conferences and only then I was to be there for my contracted hours (I stay later of course to see everyone). My union would file a grievance so fast their heads would spin if I had to come back unpaid. My principal is really good about my hours and watching contract issues. It really helps. I am so sorry and surprised you have to go through this right now. I hope the meetings are not too often.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

Our school has early dismissal on faculty meeting days. The kids get out about 45 minutes early, so we can have our meeting and still make after school committments (games, practices...) Our meetings are about once a month.

10. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

What!?! Wow. I thought a 90 minute unpaid meeting was pretty standard. I've got a meeting tomorrow after school and all I'll be thinking off is "I should be getting off school early and getting paid for this".

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

Our meetings are after school twice a month--once for the full staff and once for divisions. The full staff meetings run about 60-90 minutes; the division meetings are shorter, about 45 minutes or so.

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 12, 2007

A school I worked at had weekly staff meetings after school on Fridays for a few weeks. No one liked that! Terry G.

13. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 12, 2007

Kinderkate,
    When do you have meetings? Once a month, once a week? Not everyday, I hope.

Shouldn't you be done when your day ends at 11:45? If your contract says that you are only part time, you should be finished at that time. I would check your contract. They only pay you for a certain amount each week and cannot ask you to be there past those contracted hours.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

I think it makes sense to expect staff at a staff meeting. Otherwise, there's no communication between administration and faculty-- and we all know where that road leads. And sometimes a memo just won't do it.

Have you broached the idea of morning meetings?

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

I agree. In fact, in every field outside of teaching there are staff meetings. I know mine are once a month. I don't mind, as someone else posted, it may not directly impact you, but if the school is to work as a team, it makes sense that everyone should be there.

I'm sure there is enough notice given that if the meeting is to be held before or after school, it would be easy enough to change around your schedule and maybe do things beforehand.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 13, 2007

My school rarely has full staff meetings (and we are a little school). We are run by committees - Problem Solving, Staff Development, Social, etc. It works pretty well for us.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

Ours are weekly, on Wednesdays. They usually last 45 minutes.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Many of our local schools do that too.

ETA: isn't it law that you should be paid for any time required for your job? I don't mean planning and all that, but I have never been to a school that did not pay their employees when at meetings. That goes for public schools and daycare centers I have worked at. Being salary I guess you may not be able to do anything about, but for hourly employees you should be compensated for that extra time at the meeting. JMO.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

I don't know. We sign an annual contract. We're expected to be at Open Houses, faculty meetings-- there's a whole list of days and nights when we're supposed to be in school outside of class. That's all factored into the annual salary.

Likewise, when we get a snow day (sadly, probably not tomorrow :( ) we don't get docked. There's no time clock; being there is part of the job.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

That makes sense.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

The same here--we are expected to be at Meet the Teacher Night, Parent/Teacher Interviews, staff meetings, in-school trainings on Professional Development Days, etc. Other acitivities, such as Holiday concerts, community events are not required, but many of us show up. As Alice said, it's part of the job.

A teacher I used to work with worked only mornings. On days when there was an after school meeting (usually once a month), she would stay at school and get mountains of marking, planning and photocopying done.

Our classes start at 8:00--there's no way we would get even half of the staff attending meetings held before school.

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

At my school last year, our staff hours were 8:20-3:30 (15 min. before/after kids), except Wednesday, when we were "contracted" until 5. That's when we'd do staff meetings, etc. Once a month were school staff meetings, the other Wed. meetings were for small departments, curriculum mapping, grade level, etc. We'd occasionally have a quick meeting before or after school for emergencies, but my principal was REALLY good about keeping everything short. Sometimes she'd cancel our all-staff meeting if ther wasn't anything pertinent. They didn't always apply to me as PreK, but we always went anyway.

She also didn't care if we left before 5 as long as our meetings were finished. She figured we all put in enough of our own time anyway that she didn't need to babysit us. ;)

23. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 13, 2007

I think that everyone should be at staff meetings also...I was not implying that they shouldn't. I do, however, feel that people should be paid for the time they are there. If the contract says 7.5 hours per day, then that is what they should be paid for, no more no less. That being said, they cannot require that you be there past the allotted time on your contract. The same goes for open houses, curriculum nights, math nights, etc. In our district, we write down those extra things that we attend (along with workshops and classes) and are paid for those, above and beyond the state salary. We all know that most of us go above and beyond the extra 10 days that we are paid but, technically it is not required nor can it be. It would have to be re-negotiated with the union.

My school is very much a teamwork school and we work together well. I agree that we should all be at meetings. However, we have all come to accept the fact that those that are part-time employees do not always make it. (usually it is whoever is supposed to be teaching that day that comes to the meeting) I am assuming that you don't have a partner since you teach K. (There must be either just morning or afternoon.)

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

I just remembered we had 2 K teachers who were job sharing (they had both come back from maternity leave and didn't want to work a full day)... one taught AM, the other taught PM. (1/2 day K) They, in theory, split the after school meetings... but usually the PM teacher just stayed for most of them and filled the AM teacher in on what happened... "I'm already here, I hate to make her come back!"

25. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

Our staff meeting this week went from 2:40 until 5! I was ready to sleep by the time it was over:( And we all felt like it was for nothing...We are required to be at school for anything and everything and our administrator frequently reminds us that she can keep us there as long as she wants. We don't get paid anything extra. Our school day starts at 7:25.

26. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 14, 2007

I am not sure that is legal. I would be checking with your union if I were you. Are you in a private or public school?

27. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 14, 2007

Check with union, if there is one, on that one. If our admin keeps us after 4 (normal leave time) teachers MUST be compensated, either with no staff meetings to total amount of extra time or with extra pay (which they would never do in our district).

28. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

We don't have a union. I wish we did!

29. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

What does your contract specify?

30. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

Our "contract" is basically a one-paragraph piece of paper we sign saying we'll work in the county for the year. That's it. It doesn't specify a school or anything like that - I've never seen anything like it!

31. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

I use to work at a school that had AM staff meetings. If it's something not so "warm and fuzzy" that she needs to say, then it ruins the day. Our staff meetings are pretty pointless to say the least. If the principal established a climate of reading emails on a regular basis as a standard protocol, then half of the stuff that she says in the staff meeting can be eliminated.

32. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

There is more than likely a larger one spelling out off of the specifics. There's usually an addition to small contracts like that.

33. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

Sounds great. NY is a union state right. Man I miss having a union.

34. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

Gosh, some of you guys get off easy! We have morning meeting from 8:15 - 8:30 every day (then assembly with all the kids till 8:40) and a staff meeting every Monday from 3:30 - 5:30. Both of these are compulsory meetings.

35. briannasoloski

briannasoloski Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

My school holds staff meetings before school and they usually last 10-15 minutes. I can't imagine sitting in a staff meeting for an hour or more. We have meetings when the need arises.

36. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 16, 2007

We have grade level meetings every Wednesday (sometimes they are staff meetings but usually grade level). They last about 30 minutes.

Our contract is a huge book that details EVERYTHING from planning to contracted hours to sick leave. EVERYTHING. Nothing is left to wonder. No compensation, no extra work is required. However, as I said before, we are paid an extra $3500-$5500 per year (per diem) to work an extra 10 days. This is automatically in our paycheck already. We submit paperwork at the end of the year and we are done.

37. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Feb 19, 2007

This makes sense to me. It just doesn't seem fair that teachers are required to stay after the time in which their "pay day" ends.

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 19, 2007

That happens in most other professions when an employee isn't on an hourly wage.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2007

I earn a salary; I don't punch a time clock. I need to put in the hours required to do my job to the best of my ability.

40. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2007

MrsC, that is a great attitude.....:)

During my three decades in the corporate world I made countless cross country trips just to sit in a staff meeting.

My job was very rewarding and came with lots of perks. It also demanded a lot from me.

Major......:) :)

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2007

Sounds like teaching!!!:D