Vegetarian for No Reason

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 8, 2012

Anyone out there not eat meat for no real reason? All of the vegetarians that I know have a reason, usually health reasons. They all feel strongly about not eating meat, and they generally share that information freely. Seems like I know that they are vegetarians.

And then there I am . . . not eating meat for no real reason. :blush: I don't have any ethical or health reasons for not eating meat. I just very rarely eat it. When I do, I typically cook it myself. I don't like the texture of some meat. I don't like the flavor of other. I don't like any of it enough to miss it when I don't have it, so I just don't eat it. It's not something most people realize unless they eat with me often, and I don't feel the need to share it otherwise. I don't consider myself a vegetarian since I have eaten meat occasionally.

When people do realize I don't eat meat and ask me why, I feel silly saying that I just don't. Anyone else?

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2012

I don't eat meat for ethical and religious reasons, but I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that you don't like meat in response to that question.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

Even when I did eat meat, I didn't much care for it. I've never in my life had a steak. Never in my life had any seafood except for those little fish sticks when I was little, which I didn't like. Skinless, boneless chicken breast was about the extent of it. People always knew I was a "side dish" girl but they didn't ask why. I loved Cracker Barrel's platter that allowed me to get mashed potatoes, dumplins, hashbrown casserole, and macaroni. Yep, that was my go-to meal. Carb city...haha. Since I've always been an incredibly picky eater people seem to enjoy asking me "But do you like [fill in the blank]?" questions, and they are always surprised my how much I don't like and more so how many things I've never tried in my life.

Anyway, back to meat. The texture always grossed me out. I would go through stages of being able to eat it, and then I suddenly I would gag it back it up and be done with it for a few months. Any sort of thick meat was out of the question because I always felt like a cave woman eating it. That said, the texture wasn't why I ultimately changed my lifestyle.

In your situation, no reason to feel silly. :)

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 8, 2012

Not liking it seems to enough of a reason to me.

I know about seven (that I know of for certain) vegetarians in real life. Two of them are what I consider rather pushy. They get kind of hateful if you don't happen to agree with their views.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 8, 2012

I kinda feel the same way about pasta. I eat it sometimes, but I go without it for months, and I don't miss it. I know people say too much carbs are bad, but I know pasta itself cannot be the enemy, since Italians eat tons of it and they look great. So while it's in the back of my head, it doesn't stop me from eating it when I want to, but it's very rare.

If you don't like something, meat or other things, you don't like it, you don't have to offer an explanation to anyone.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2012

I used to eat chicken in high school, which I really liked. Other than that, I haven't really eaten meat. In college, I accidentally ate a bite of ham and tuna because I read a sign incorrectly and because the dining services didn't label correctly, and I absolutely hated it. I don't think I would like most meat anyway.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 8, 2012

I can't stand pasta! The only way I will eat it is smothered in cheese for mac n cheese. I don't get why people like it so much. I think spaghetti is absolutely disgusting and that tends to be the go to "everyone likes it" meal.

I don't eat red meat for no reason other than I don't like it. I pretty much only eat chicken.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

I don't go out of my way to eat red meat. I never buy it, but will eat it if someone is serving it. I just don't like it.

The ironic part is I grew up on a cattle farm where we raised our own beef. It breaks my dad's heart that I don't love beef.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

My dad is also a farmer. He's sensitive enough to get emotional over letting go of the older heifers (I mean, you do kind of build a relationship with them when you spend time with them twice a day every day for several years), but he accepts it as being "just the way it is", so he doesn't understand my choices at all.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2012

For people who hate pasta, try spaghetti squash instead. It's YUMMY!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 9, 2012

I don't think it's anyone's business why you do or don't eat any particular foods.
    I do have a friend who is mostly vegetarian only because her husband is and she finds it easier to just make all vegetarian meals. I think he actually complains if she eats meat so she just doesn't. When she comes to visit me and he is not around she will eat anything she wants.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 9, 2012

DS is 16 & is very picky about the meat he eats & how it's fixed. He'll eat maybe a 1/2 of a hamburger, maybe a whole sloppy joe. Otherwise, any red meat must be with something else i.e. lasagne or in spag. sauce. Some day I'm going to try mini-meatballs in spag. sauce for our spag.

His favorite is pasta.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2012

Sounds like you do have a reason-you don't particularly care for meat. You are allowed to call yourself whatever you want. Don't let others define you...

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 9, 2012

What got me thinking about it is that I have been several places lately where I have taken finger foods, and most everything has been meat-based. When people comment on how good things are, I always thank them. Generally someone will add that if they could cook that well they would never make it to the function with all of them, to which I add that I have never eaten it. That is when I get the weird looks, like I'm only allowed to cook things I actually eat. I love to cook, and I know that most people would prefer the things I cook, not the things I eat.

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2012

Or eggplant pasta!!!

I'm not a vegetarian because I do occasionally eat meat. But I always prefer not to. Not for any real reason, sort of like you. I just prefer to eat veggies. I was raised basically vegetarian by my parents so that's what I've always eaten.

When I tell people I don't like steak they always tell me "that's because you never had a good one!" Noo.. it's because I just don't like it. Just like I don't like seafood, I don't like pork chops, I don't like hamburger... When people tell me they don't like onions I don't say "that's because you never had a good onion!" I just accept it.

But anyways, just the other night I was at the 6th grade graduation and at the buffet I skipped by the meat part opting only for the veggies, salad, potatoes, etc. One of the ladies who I have worked with the entire year says "you don't eat meat?" I was like "I sometimes do, I just prefer not to"

And that's kind of how I like to describe myself:thumb:

17. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 9, 2012

I occasionally eat meat, but I prefer not to (in general). I attribute it mostly to environmental reasons.

18. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

I do eat meat, but I am not a meat person. I get my breakfast sandwiches without meat (Egg McMuffins). I prefer chicken for the most part. I am the person at the famous steakhouse, getting chicken. On occasion, I will have bacon or sausage as a breakfast side dish, but I don't put bacon on things.

I guess you could say, I neither avoid nor go out of my way for meat. But if I was forced to cut out a food group, it would be meat. I can take it or leave it.

19. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Dec 11, 2012

I've not eaten meat since I was a preteen. "I just don't." is usually my answer to the question of why. I try to say it sweetly and with a smile and then I change the topic because surely my choice of diet can't possibly be entertaining to anyone else. It bores me. I do however usually explain that I could care less what they eat in my presence - which is usually what the real concern is.
    and a side story - I do eat fish. I once ordered a tuna sandwich at a deli. One bite and I marched back to whisper to the deli guy that there might be something wrong with their tuna. it was...um...off. He took my sandwich, sniffed it, nibbled, and declared "that's because it's chicken." I had no idea what chicken tasted like!

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2012

^ Haha. :)